Author Topic: The Park View Pavilion Coming Soon  (Read 93278 times)

duvaldude08

Re: The Park View Pavilion Coming Soon
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 11:16:55 AM »
I am strongly in favor of small scale, restoration projects such as this and the Laura street trio. It may take while to break ground, but atleast it will happen. Weve had enough of the pie in the sky dream projects such as the St John, The Shipyards, etc. It is time to think logical.
Jaguars 2.0

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 11:52:59 AM »
A residential component along the park is ideal.  These plans certainly seem reasonable and the ability to phase as they are proposing should help immensely given the current economy.  IMO, a retail element in the garage should be able to be incorporated along Main and Orange.  Would make for a nice phase III.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 12:04:32 PM »
I have heard that the city is providing significant matching grant funds for this project, which will get them started on the demolition and stabilization of the parking garage.  I'm hopeful but not yet thrilled by what I've seen so far - lots of work to be done here.

Its the community development block grant, the city administers allocating their federal portion.  If Im not mistaken, 900k has been allocated to the Park View project.
http://www.hud.gov/offices/cpd/communitydevelopment/programs/

Ironically, the same grant program was also used for The Landing when it was first built.

When I get home tonight Ill post some pictures, but this type of development will be similar in structure as Urbana at Jax Beach.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 12:08:29 PM by fieldafm »

urbaknight

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 12:54:16 PM »
I hope this happens soon. But, I can't help but see a problem with retail space. So many empty storefronts downtown. How can we expect bring in more retail when we can't fill the retail spaces we have now. I think MJ should travel to some "real cities" to see what kind of retail works in those cities.

finehoe

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 01:07:30 PM »
I hope this happens soon. But, I can't help but see a problem with retail space. So many empty storefronts downtown. How can we expect bring in more retail when we can't fill the retail spaces we have now.

This was my thought as well.  What's supposed to open there?  Do they have any firm commitments from retailers?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:09:55 PM by finehoe »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 01:10:01 PM »
Although we definitely enjoy visiting other communities, MJ has done enough traveling (see http://www.metrojacksonville.com/learning-from/).  

From my experience in the architectural design industry, there are different types of retail that require different space and location specifications.  Considering it's location at a signalized intersection and the ability to place a 10,000 square foot box on that site, the Park View would be an ideal site for a pharmacy like Walgreens or CVS to serve as an anchor.  

Even though the majority of the Northbank's retail spaces are empty, very few (if any) come with these five requirements (+10,000sf box, signalized intersection, high traffic count, high visibility, on-site dedicated parking).  

It will be interesting to see how fast this spot fills up compared to some of the newer retail spaces spread throughout downtown.  My gut feeling tells me that State & Union are better for major retail than corridors like Bay and Forsyth.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:12:11 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

sheclown

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 01:13:14 PM »
The parking will give it a great advantage.

hightowerlover

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 01:21:28 PM »
im glad they at least attempted to shield the blight of the surface parking lot with that seemingly pointless wall.  maybe they can squeeze a small store front there.

wsansewjs

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 01:27:01 PM »
Eww ewww eww! If the proposal for the businesses in Park View still stand, Dick's Sport and Wings place shouldn't go there.

I can assure you that the owner of that location is going ot burn into the red, then go out of business within 2 years. Dick's Wings can't keep the consistency of their business.

-Josh
"When I take over JTA, the PCT'S will become artificial reefs and thus serve a REAL purpose. - OCKLAWAHA"

"Stephen intends on running for office in the next election (2014)." - Stephen Dare

iloveionia

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 02:28:35 PM »
I'll take anything at this point.
Just fricken do it already.
Gheesh.

copperfiend

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2010, 02:30:54 PM »
I don't think the Dicks Wings in the beach development above ever opened. And the Beale Street place already closed.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 02:57:58 PM »
im glad they at least attempted to shield the blight of the surface parking lot with that seemingly pointless wall.  maybe they can squeeze a small store front there.

Even if they can't get a store in there, they could line that wall with display windows that highlight what retail and entertainment uses are located within the complex.  Other options could include a visual display of the history of that site or a bus stop/shelter location.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

sheclown

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 03:13:12 PM »
I'll take anything at this point.
Just fricken do it already.
Gheesh.

what she said!

BigGuy219

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 03:17:11 PM »
I think "coming soon" might be far too optimistic a title. As a former Humanities major I'd hate to suggest something as 'wordy' as "possibly coming in the future."

It seems like a lot has to happen for this to materialize, but I do agree with the sentiments that State and Union have the prospect to be a major retail corridor in our area. As I turn my head to look out the window I can see the Matthews Bridge and a seemingly endless line of cars that use State and Union to get accross town.

This corridor has already been used to support major chains like a Burger King, Winn Dixie, and Shell. I'm not sure a pharmacy is the right anchor for two reasons. First, there's a pharmacy in Springfield already by McDonalds. Second, with the presence of shelters and vagrants in the area I'm not sure a place selling pharmaceuticals would be safe. I can imagine people being hassled at night for their pills, snacks, and drinks.

It is definately a step in the right direction, but it's going to take a giant step to get it done. But, I don't think the impression should be that this is a "done deal" and will be opening soon.

KuroiKetsunoHana

• 黒い血の花
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2010, 04:53:06 PM »
the walgreens by mcdonald's is, though geographically close, a different world then state and union.  i'd be more concerned about the small pharmacy on 8th between market and hubbard.  if, on the other hand, you're thinking more ov the knickknacks and overpriced grocery section ov a walgreens-style pharmacy, i can't think ov any reason why state/union wouldn't be a lovely place for it.
天の下の慈悲はありません。