Author Topic: Inside the Bostwick Building  (Read 14737 times)

Timkin

Re: Inside the Bostwick Building
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2010, 07:34:22 PM »
Well... would not be surprised if it is.. It is really beautiful on the outside...Obvious that it is badly in need of work on the inside..  I hope it is not demolished.  For as long as they are standing, they are savable .

904Scars

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 02:04:50 PM »
Thanks for the link... I had no idea it's a Klutho design. I did a paper on his apartment building off Main St in High School. Very cool history.

bornnative

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2010, 05:58:44 PM »
does anyone with experience in that kind of work have a ballpark figure on what might cost to renovate this building to usable condition?

Understanding that it would be a near-blind ballpark figure of course, and excluding acquisition cost.  Oh, and assuming that the walls/exterior structure are salvageable.

So...how much for a new roof structure and gutting/buildout on the interior?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 09:59:33 PM »
does anyone with experience in that kind of work have a ballpark figure on what might cost to renovate this building to usable condition?

Understanding that it would be a near-blind ballpark figure of course, and excluding acquisition cost.  Oh, and assuming that the walls/exterior structure are salvageable.

So...how much for a new roof structure and gutting/buildout on the interior?

I have about $32 in my checking account;  and I don't think it's enough.  Maybe if I had closer to a hun.....
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

lowlyplanner

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2010, 03:00:26 PM »
The building is around 7,650 square feet.  At $150 per square foot to rehab, you'd need around $1,150,000.

$150 per square foot would be around an average cost for a severely deteriorated historic building.  The cost could easily be much higher ($200 psf or more) depending on the structural condition.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2010, 03:14:30 PM »
Thanks for the link... I had no idea it's a Klutho design. I did a paper on his apartment building off Main St in High School. Very cool history.

It's not actually a Klutho design, but it was the location of his final architectural office.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

longhaul

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2010, 09:45:37 PM »
Any ideas for what the best use for this would be?  Is it type-casted to the bar scene?  I suppose it makes sense as a bar or restaurant, but it's always hard to imagine how like tenants on that strip generate business with the area's minimal residents and parking.  Obviously some are making it work.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »
With no roof and no off street parking, a bar or restuarant with a lot of outdoor dining/seating behind those walls.  This is assuming the seller would let it go for a reasonable price of course.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

urbaknight

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 03:00:52 PM »
Any ideas for what the best use for this would be?  Is it type-casted to the bar scene?  I suppose it makes sense as a bar or restaurant, but it's always hard to imagine how like tenants on that strip generate business with the area's minimal residents and parking.  Obviously some are making it work.

I think an NYC style nightclub would be perfect. We could keep the murals where the windows used to be, this would allow the best lighting, and nightclubs usually don't have windows. I believe there's just one big open space inside. Put a bar in the corner and have a dancefloor. Yes, I think a nightclub is what the area needs especially since so much has opened right within the few blocks, Lit, The Ivy, Northstar, marks, Dive bar etc.

Timkin

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »
This is why its still sitting empty.  The owner wants a ton of money for it and then it would take a ton of money to bring it up to code.  Given the conditions and the asking price, its unfeasible to redevelop.

This sounds too familiar.. the exact same Scenario as the Annie Lytle School..except now there are two owners involved .. one owning the building and the land under the building, and the other owning the surrounding land.  Emotional ties to these, yet spending ZERO to maintain them ,and still wanting a fortune.  Guess when both of these places collapse, and the owners face lawsuits for someone getting hurt, they will realize it might have been smarter to offload them to someone who would do something positive.   I love this building's exterior... very beautiful .

sheclown

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 07:50:52 AM »
On the agenda for demolition at August HPC meeting.

Timkin

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 10:46:13 AM »
What would be the costs to stabilize the building , rather than take it out? 

This is senseless.

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »
Just what we need downtown.  Another vacant lot.  :-(

bornnative

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 01:42:21 PM »
Probably $50k or so for demolition, $100k or so for getting it back to a point where Code Enforcement would stop accruing daily fines.  That wouldn't make it usable, just up to minimum code to stop the fines.

Overstreet

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 02:04:49 PM »
$100k you need to define scope. The inside is rotted out. There are stairs, ie steel structure, rotted out. I suspect you'd have problems filling in the hole in the roof. Vegetables are growing in the parapet.  Start around $500k.