Author Topic: Inside the Bostwick Building  (Read 14759 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Inside the Bostwick Building
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 10:01:25 PM »
I would like to know more about the suicide in the building.  I've never heard that story before and I'm very familiar with the building.

Here's some history on the building from: jaxhistory.com/Jax%20Arch%20Herit/D-25.htm

The past occupants of this location are equally as interesting as the building's architecture.  In 1880  the First National Bank was built on this site.  It was founded in 1874 as Florida's earliest national bank.  Among its first directors was Dr. William M. Bostwick, who later served as mayor of Jacksonville.  Its most famous director was General Francis E. Spinner, Secretary of the U. S. Treasury under Presidents Lincoln, Johnson, and Grant.  First National Bank built a new building here within a year after the 1901 Fire.  The bank failed in 1903, however, and the building was purchased by the Guaranty Trust and Savings Bank, a newly organized bank whose first vice president was Bostwick's son, William M., Jr.  In 1919, the building was expanded to its present size.  This bank closed in 1922 and the building was taken over by yet another bank, the Brotherhood State Bank, which also failed.  (Head cashier Thomas R. Hendricks committed suicide in the bank building on April 11, 1924, and the Brotherhood State Bank never reopened.)  In this building on November 27, 1931, W. M. Bostwick, Jr., repaid all of his depositors who had lost money when the Guaranty Trust and Savings Bank closed eight years earlier.  The depositors presented him with a silver loving cup.  Subsequently, this building has been used as office space under the continuous ownership of the Bostwick family.  A sign on the Ocean Street side still bears the name of architect H. J. Klutho, who maintained his offices in the building during the final years of his career from 1944 to 1960.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

floridagirlal

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 08:03:08 PM »
Who took these pictures of the inside of the building?  How did they get in there?  It looks pretty dangerous.

jay_me0007

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 05:30:26 AM »
Thanks for the info. on the building.  Everytime I pass it, I wonder how long it will be there and how much of a shame that there are quite a few historic, run down and vacant buildings downtown.

mtraininjax

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 02:08:08 AM »
This building's roof has been in bad shape for years. The water damage is extensive inside. The roof will fail soon and it will cause the building to collapse. Or, once the roof is gone, Code Enforcement will condemn the building. Its too bad the Bostwick family has just let it sit and crumble.  :-[
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Johnny

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
I wonder how much it would cost to get this building and fix it up? Any idea how one could go about finding the financial backings to take on a project like this? I love the building and would definitely be interested in saving it from being destroyed.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 03:00:10 PM »
The major key would be getting the family to sell the structure at a true market rate value.  The last time I looked at it, they wanted over $1 million dollars for it "as is".  However, this was before the market went down the tubes.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

RiversideGator

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 03:15:15 PM »
The family clearly has an inflated view of the value of the structure probably because of their emotional ties to it.  Unfortunately, they did not spend the money to maintain the structure and now want to sell it as if they had kept it in mint condition.  They should be realistic and price it appropriately if they are truly interested in saving the building.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 03:33:08 PM »
It was pretty interesting listening to the family representative during the tour.  There are strong emotional ties to the structure.  However, while he was going through all the stories, all I could think about is, if someone had replaced the roof during the 70s, the special place described would probably still be in place instead of the shell sitting there today.

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 04:02:44 PM »
YUCK!! That is what that place looks like inside? Nasty!
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 04:06:34 PM »
This is why its still sitting empty.  The owner wants a ton of money for it and then it would take a ton of money to bring it up to code.  Given the conditions and the asking price, its unfeasible to redevelop.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 09:59:43 PM »
I wish it were at Newnan, as this building just screams HISTORIC REDEVELOPEMENT - STREETCAR etc... With the inside so tall, it would nearly be a turn key conversion.

OCKLAWAHA

floridagirlal

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 07:21:19 PM »
For those interested, the asking price for this building has been significantly reduced.

jaxtrader

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 09:47:28 PM »
It is really tragic to watch this building deteriorate. At least with the Laura trio, a little amelioration work has been done to arrest the decliine.  Not so with the Bostwick building.  The chances of the interior surviving to renovation are pretty slim.

RiversideGator

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 11:02:11 PM »
What is the current asking price?

DetroitInJAX

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2008, 08:17:31 PM »
Am I crazy or does anyone else notice from the outside that it seems as if parts of the building are actually starting to sag?  Seems as if one strong storm a few years from now and one of its walls will end up on the street.