Author Topic: The Clarian Health People Mover  (Read 1449 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The Clarian Health People Mover
« on: September 27, 2010, 03:45:19 AM »
The Clarian Health People Mover

Metro Jacksonville takes a look at a privately funded mass transit system that went from concept to completion in two years.  The Indianapolis Clarian Health People Mover.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-sep-the-clarian-health-people-mover

CS Foltz

Re: The Clarian Health People Mover
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 06:50:59 AM »
Gee............two years from conception to completion huh? Don't let JTA see this, they will discount this piece of information also............BRT or bust!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 07:37:08 AM »
Is the use of the system limited to the employees of the hospitals?
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 08:19:34 AM »
Its free to the public.  However, the line only runs between the hospitals.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:43:47 AM »
Gee............two years from conception to completion huh? Don't let JTA see this, they will discount this piece of information also............BRT or bust!

you can do anything quick if you're willing to avoid the state and federal approval processes....but that is not an option if you ever need/want state/federal dollars for construction or operations.

So, CS, the only way we do this is with 100% local and/or private funding....care to pony up?

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 09:51:32 AM »

you can do anything quick if you're willing to avoid the state and federal approval processes....but that is not an option if you ever need/want state/federal dollars for construction or operations.

So, CS, the only way we do this is with 100% local and/or private funding....care to pony up?

I think that would be the best way to go for real streetcar between Riverside and downtown and up and down the beach.  Lets play the federal card for commuter rail.
Lenny Smash

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 11:30:45 AM »

I think that would be the best way to go for real streetcar between Riverside and downtown and up and down the beach.  Lets play the federal card for commuter rail.

+1

OCKLAWAHA

newzgrrl

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 02:32:47 PM »
This is inspiring. And when I visit Indianapolis in 2012, I'll be sure to take a ride on this. Of course, it's not so easy to turn our Skyway into something like this, but it sure is good to know that this kind of transit can work.

Mattius92

• It's time to bring the "Change" to Jacksonville.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »
Really cool, and you do have to take into consideration that this was two hospitals. I wouldn't think there would be any lack of money and intelligence there. The system certainly looks modern, unlike our Skyway (Then again our system was build in the 80's). I like how they build the rail line, its pretty minimalistic.
SunRail, Florida's smart transit idea. :) (now up on the chopping block) :(

tayana42

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 11:57:54 AM »
Great piece, MetroJax.  You guys really deserve thanks for the depth, detail, and thoughtfulness of this and many other articles about our community.  I clicked on the link to McCoy's Creek and was, as with the link to Hogan's Creek, astonished at the possibilities that exist right under our noses.