Author Topic: A new look for Bank of America  (Read 5677 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
A new look for Bank of America
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:47:40 AM »
A new look for Bank of America

Without trees, the corner of Laura and Bay Streets is looking pretty different these days.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/593

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
Re: A new look for Bank of America
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:57:25 AM »
The oaks should have never been planted in those planters. Now they have to replace all the wiring for the lights and irrigation pipes, because they were damaged from the root strucutre of those trees, before new trees can be planted.

reednavy

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »
I noticed that yesterday, looks funny, but it really shows how massive the building is. You never plant hardy, long-living trees in the sidewalks and planters because that's what ya get, damage. They did this earlier this year with the Wachovia Tower across from Times-Union Center, and it looks better w/o those big trees, hell, half of em we're dead or had serious disease issues. Now, they shouldn't plant crape myrtles, because they aren't big enough to compliment the building, plant something that has dark foliage, like magnolias, do a grand experiment with some royal palms, lol. They'll probably be removing the oaks around the Modis Building and Prudential Towers next, but definetly Modis comes first. And don't use sabal palms, use something that isn't as common.
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

archiphreak

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 01:58:51 PM »
Jacksonville's expression of phallic supremacy!  Love it!

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 02:10:25 PM »
That's Charlie Rice's phallic.  He was CEO of Barnett Bank whenever they decided to build the tower.
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

Julian

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 03:20:57 PM »
I noticed a while back they were doing a lot of work on the lobby area and now this, is the whole building going thru restoration? will it culminate with the lighting of the crown again? one can only hope.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 03:25:59 PM »
Man, I hope so.  The night time skyline is dark without it.

Julian

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 04:17:28 PM »
i always thought they should have installed more powerful lights on each corner at the base so it'd light up the sides better.

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 04:22:03 PM »
i guess they are forward thinking in not wasting electricity and promoting light polution.
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

big ben

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 06:33:31 PM »
i guess they are forward thinking in not wasting electricity and promoting light polution.

maybe they could install solar cells to power their lights.  i don't know what they'd do about light pollution, though.  i have a bigger problem with the super-bright white and orange and bright-but-still-hard-to-see-things parking lot and road lights.  i realize they're there for safety, but surely there's a better way than what the common methods are. 

avonjax

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 10:35:35 PM »
According to the Daily Record they are going to replace the trees at BOA with hollies.....

reednavy

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 06:33:56 AM »
They want to maintain their class A standard, but your replacing it with something less appealing, wtf? I'm graduated from high school in TN, majoring in agriculture and I know my plants, but come on, use something other than a ugly holly. Hell, use date palms, we all know how much the city loves to use them, or some California or Mexican Fan Palms, they look good. A tall building needs to be complimented with something bigger and better than a dang holly.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 07:54:51 AM »
Holly trees are ugly.  You would think they could come up with something better than that.

archiphreak

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 08:59:33 AM »
You would think they could come up with something better than that.

This is the city of Jacksonville we're talking about.  The same geniuses who still think BRT running down Forsyth and Adams is a good idea.  Not exactly a hot bed of creative or forward thinking.  Ya know? ::)

reednavy

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 09:28:22 AM »
You'd figure with such a "masculine" looking building, that has won the BOMA Building of the Year Award in 2002, 2003, and 2004, that they would want it to stand out even more so. Although the MODIS reigns supreme as the most commanding building on the skyline, the one that I like the most and is most imposing is the BoA Tower. I love the use of granite and reflective glass and how near the top it has insets that look like large windows. They need incredible landscaping that makes a statement, plenty of bright flowers, and or white crape myrtles to off set the dark exterior, and tropical trees, and sabal palms don't f'ing count. If this were a more south Florida climate, royal palms would be a perfect fit, because they can become quite tall, have dark foliage, and planted in rows at maturity, it looks like columns. Sigh, only a dream though, but they can do much damn better than freckin East Palatka Holly trees, wtf?!