Author Topic: A Jacksonville Landmark: Prairie School Architecture  (Read 4084 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
A Jacksonville Landmark: Prairie School Architecture
« on: August 04, 2010, 04:56:35 AM »
A Jacksonville Landmark: Prairie School Architecture

Over time, many cities have left their mark on our architectural landscape. New York has its Brownstones, Charleston the single house, and Chicago School of Architecture in the Windy City. Believe it or not, our own city has earned the right to be mentioned in this conversation.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-aug-a-jacksonville-landmark-prairie-school-architecture

Vtlsgns

Re: A Jacksonville Landmark: Prairie School Architecture
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 06:12:40 AM »
Thank you Mr. Davis. These are clearly some of the most impressive and important properties in Jax. This is a great article highlighting some of these properties. The "Prairie School Traveler" is an amazing work. Unfortunately the last item on the Florida list is the truly sad part, "Lost Treasures". Let's hope the list does not get bigger!

Thank you for the article again. Another great MJ piece.

Vtlsgns

Miss Fixit

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 07:53:57 AM »
Thanks, Ennis - I love to wake up to your stories!  Great to see all of these photos in one place.  Springfield has an interesting Prairie School house at the corner of Hubbard and Third - a Ransom Buffalow masterpiece that was moved from Second Street a while back and plopped down sideways on its new lot.  It's lost some of its porches but is still a beautiful example of this style.

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 10:16:17 AM »
Now this is a great article!!!  I love our Prairie Heritage :)  Thanks!!!
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

acme54321

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 11:07:54 AM »
The MRS building in Springfield article was interesting.  I always wonder if it was original or not.  I'm sure the homeowners around it were thankful when that was done.

Prairie School is one of my favorite styles.

finehoe

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 11:14:19 AM »
People tend to overlook how much a cohesive and distinctive architectural milieu can contribute to a sense of place and municipal identity (think Art Deco/South Beach or Victorian/Cape May).  It's a shame Jacksonville hasn't recognized what it had/has in these Prairie School beauties.  Maybe Ennis Davis can be the Barbara Capitman of Jacksonville!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:16:05 AM by finehoe »

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 11:18:41 AM »
Wow; I walked by, walked through, and even lived in "Prairie School" architectural styled buildings when I lived in Jacksonville not knowing the historic nature and aspect of those buildings.  Great info to have learned and to know!

"HU"
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

urbaknight

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 12:11:44 PM »
This is a very creative style, lots of artistic ability and imaginatoin in these buildings. Perhaps we could build more in the future, bigger and taller ones.

Timkin

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 05:05:45 PM »
I had no Idea there were so many examples of this style of architecture..   Nice Article !

Timkin

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 05:06:49 PM »
Isnt the Lola Culver School  "Prairie" ?

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 06:25:57 PM »
Isnt the Lola Culver School  "Prairie" ?

Absolutely.  One of Klutho's finest works.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 06:27:47 PM »
I was in Jacksonville, though for only a day, on Sunday and got to show my sister and nieces around the city all day.  They were immediately impressed with the Prairie style (especially the many examples in Riverside) and how it distinguishes the city.  As has been noted on this site so many times, it ought to be emphasized and appreciated much more than it is.

My favorite Prairie building is Dr. Wood's house on Riverside Ave., but I have barely scratched the surface of visiting Springfield's many Prairie works.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

grimss

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »
Brilliant review. Thanks.

rjp2008

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 11:19:54 PM »
Very conservative, not very interesting, creative or modern looking BUT guarranteed to stand the test of time, like the character of J-ville. These buildings are made to LAST. I like the light colored bricks more than the red.

Timkin

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 12:19:39 AM »
I had no idea that "Prairie" style was so diverse..  I guess Im wording that right..  The examples shown in these pictures are stunning ..