Author Topic: Five Points North?  (Read 6995 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Five Points North?
« on: September 13, 2007, 04:00:00 AM »
Five Points North?

Quietly and without much fanfare, the Park Street corridor between I-95 and Forest Street has begun to fill up with tatoo palors, bars, clubs, and locally owned restaurants.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/580

Jason

• Global Moderator
Re: Five Points North?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 08:19:34 AM »
Wouldn't that area be considered Brooklyn?   ;)

The Brooklyn Central Park development (1st phase due to break ground soon) will do a lot to further revitalize what's left of Brooklyn's nightlife.

jaxlore

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 08:29:25 AM »
well except for the tattoo parlor  most of those business have been around for a long time. I would consider that Brooklyn as well. I heard somebody went around buying up all the property in that area. And there not a thing touchable for average or above average joe?

archiphreak

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 08:47:33 AM »
Even that tattoo parlor has been there for years.  All of these places have.  616 has been there for longer than I've lived in or near Jacksonville.  Brooklyn could be an awesome neighborhood.  In my opinion, the new development that has been proposed may not be the shining beacon of progress that we all hope it will be.  The current design may look nice, but once it's built all those niceties will get VE-ed out and we'll be left with your typical Jacksonville salt box. 
Sorry for the negativity.  It's early.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 08:51:53 AM »
Does anyone have an idea on when the Brooklyn Park project will break ground?  It seems that the start date keeps getting pushed back.  Also, what's going on with the Hallmark project next door?  There's been little mention of it over the last few months.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Dapperdan

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 09:01:17 AM »
There is a construction trailor on site. I believe it will start soon. I work across the street in the S Joe building, and I will keep you up to date.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 09:15:38 AM »
Thanks.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

konstantconsumer

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 09:39:11 AM »
does anyone know what "elements" is?  i've been to incahoots and 616, but i've never noticed elements before.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." ~Oscar Wilde

gradco2004

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 11:18:50 AM »
Elements is a hip-hop lounge/club. They have really good fried shrimp & chicken. They have a pool table, porch, bar, and dj. Its okay. It is one of the few hip-hop clubs that you don't feel like you're going to be assaulted in. If they tighten the dress code... the atmosphere would improve greatly. I feel the dress code has a big impact on the crowd that is attracted. I give it a 3 1/2 out of 5

RiversideGator

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 12:03:14 PM »
These places are not new (with a few exceptions).  There has always been retail and restaurants in the Park Street corridor through Brooklyn for as long as I can remember.  Nice to see the area getting some new life though.

BTW, I agree that the Brooklyn Park project will end up leaving trash.  The design of the buildings is cheap, inconsistent with the historic architecture of the area and will not wear well IMO.  I dont expect much from them to be honest.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 12:25:08 PM »
After all the studies and master planning efforts with the community, I don't think the JEDC is really concerned with preservation of Brooklyn or the integration of new infill at all.  If so, there would be no discussion about demolishing fire station, the old church, or most of the buildings along Park Street, for a park whose focal point will be a DOT retention pond.  Instead new structures and ideas would be designed in a manner that fits with the character and history of the community.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 02:50:03 PM »
I remember the days not too long ago when some of those buildings were things like Popeyes Chicken and a McDonalds.

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 03:21:08 PM »
I miss all of the buildings that lined Riverside Ave...

JUSTDAVE

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 06:35:08 PM »
Are any of these places not a gay bar?
Dave Siebert
vice president Concerned taxpayers of Duval county
intolerent of deadbeat city council members who don't pay child support

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 08:19:08 PM »
Someone mentioned Elements is a hip-hop club.