Author Topic: Bringing Amtrak to Downtown Jacksonville Inexpensively  (Read 18791 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Bringing Amtrak to Downtown Jacksonville Inexpensively
« on: July 23, 2010, 04:17:22 AM »
Bringing Amtrak to Downtown Jacksonville Inexpensively

Metro Jacksonville explores an affordable way to accelerate the relocation of Amtrak to downtown.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-jul-bringing-amtrak-to-downtown-jacksonville-inexpensively

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
Re: Bringing Amtrak to Downtown Jacksonville Inexpensively
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 06:13:28 AM »
The temporary station concept is a great idea. 
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

tufsu1

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 08:00:21 AM »
just one question.....do Federal guidelines allow passengers to cross over active rail tracks at stations (remember there are no crossing gates)....if the tunnels can not be used, this is a key issue for the relationship of commuter rail w/ Amtrak.

when I was in San Diego last year, I crossed over the light rail tracks at their station with no problem....and crossing the commuter rail tracks to get over to Amtrak was also somewhat easy (although people are channeled to specific crossing areas)....but that is the end of the line for the intercity trains, so there are no trains coming from the south
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:06:04 AM by tufsu1 »

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 08:02:51 AM »
To my best recollection, we are allowed to cross over the tracks at the designated crossing.  This is how we board trains at the current Amshack... 
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »
The temporary station concept is a potentially affordable way to advance the relocation of Amtrak back to downtown.  The advancement of such a project would put Jacksonville and downtown in position to immediately economically benefit from ongoing efforts to establish passenger rail service between Jacksonville and Miami.
Too much common sense for the powers-that-be? Or is this option a viable one for whomever's in charge of this? Are we doomed to an expensive, crappy, over-done monster?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:24:17 AM by Doctor_K »
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 09:21:27 AM »
In this plan there is NO need for passengers to cross a live track, EVER.  The driveways you see on the East and West are for baggage, fuel and other service vehicles.

OCKLAWAHA

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 10:02:19 AM »
In this plan there is NO need for passengers to cross a live track, EVER.  The driveways you see on the East and West are for baggage, fuel and other service vehicles.

OCKLAWAHA

I agree.
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

Bike Jax

• Bike Jax
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
Why is this only a temporary solution? Sounds like it should be the plan from outset. Take the money saved and put it towards equipment and infrastructure of other stations and get this running.

ac

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 11:11:02 AM »
The temporary fix won't meet with approval unless you find a way to build it with tons and tons of unnecessary Gate concrete.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 11:14:09 AM »
I see the plans for platforms, but what about the necessary track improvements to accomodate freight and passenger trains. What is the plan for that? Where will the Amtrak trains be split and serviced? What needs to happen with the track configuration coming from the north and SW? Does anything need to be improved? what would the cost for that be?

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 11:15:40 AM »
The temporary fix won't meet with approval unless you find a way to build it with tons and tons of unnecessary Gate concrete.

LMAO

So true.

brainstormer

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 12:45:35 PM »
I think this plan should be implemented as soon as possible because it makes a statement that we are serious about rail in Jacksonville.  It also puts us into a much better position when it comes to asking for federal grants and other funding.  Having Amtrak downtown will improve ridership and make Amtrak more visible.  This seems like a logical first step and will help planners visualize the possibilities for the future of mass transit downtown.   Good work guys!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:41:29 PM by brainstormer »

Mattius92

• It's time to bring the "Change" to Jacksonville.
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 01:17:04 PM »
I think this plan should be implemented as soon as possible because it makes a statement that we are serious about rail in Jacksonville.  It also puts us into a much better position when it comes to asking for federal grants and other funding.  Having Amtrak downtown will improve ridership and make Amtrak more visible.  This seems like a logical first step and will help planners visual the possibilities for the future of mass transit downtown.   Good work guys!

Right on!

SunRail, Florida's smart transit idea. :) (now up on the chopping block) :(

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 01:44:32 PM »
I think this plan should be implemented as soon as possible because it makes a statement that we are serious about rail in Jacksonville.  It also puts us into a much better position when it comes to asking for federal grants and other funding.  Having Amtrak downtown will improve ridership and make Amtrak more visible.  This seems like a logical first step and will help planners visualize the possibilities for the future of mass transit downtown.   Good work guys!

I co-sign your comment, brainstormer!  For the life of me, I cannot understand why our city continues to drag its feet on this matter.  Cities like Wilmington DE are doing great things with their Amtrak station and our city leaders seem not to give a damn.
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 01:46:04 PM »
because most of our city leaders dont give a damn!