Author Topic: Suburban Jacksonville: Exploring Cedar Hills  (Read 10032 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Suburban Jacksonville: Exploring Cedar Hills
« on: June 14, 2010, 04:07:42 AM »
Suburban Jacksonville: Exploring Cedar Hills

Cedar Hills is a unique neighborhood that was developed during Jacksonville's transition from an urban to a suburban dominated community 60 years ago.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-jun-suburban-jacksonville-exploring-cedar-hills

Overstreet

Re: Suburban Jacksonville: Exploring Cedar Hills
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 07:59:34 AM »
Blanding and 103rd street intersection, 1957................picture of an accident scene. Some things change but remain the same.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 08:03:02 AM »
Absolutely beautiful neighborhood.  Used to love just driving through there and enjoying the picturesqueness relative to the trees, houses, "laid backness," and southern charm.  If you've never lived in Jax and stumble upon Cedar Hills, you'll swear that you're in a small town which is in fact Jax's "best kept secret."  When I was in the Navy and stationed at NAS Jax, and lived across the street from the base in a trailer park, I would drive through Cedar Hills just to relax and enjoy the Southern charm! From the pics it appears that Cedar Hills has not changed very much; and that's good news!

"HU"
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

buckethead

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:35:30 AM »
Huh????

copperfiend

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 08:42:27 AM »
I grew up in Argyle but went to Jeff Davis and NB Forrest and am very familiar with the area. I am amazed to see the older photos and what the area once looked like. Sort of reminds me of Back to the Future.

Cliffs_Daughter

• Don't make me come down there and smack someone.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 08:46:48 AM »
Overstreet, that was the first thought in my head when I saw that picture too!

Heather  @Tiki_Proxima

Ignorantia legis non excusat.

hillary supporter

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 09:04:31 AM »
I grew up there. Thanks Ennis the pics are a real kick! Moved there w/ mom and dad 1959.  My parents still there.
Important to note very unpedestrian, un bike friendly. I remember many pedestrian/bike fatalities growing up. No change today. Original, ultimate statement of suburbia... for better or worse. Hats off to "HU" most of those homes went to navy personnel. Bought our house for $12,500 @ 3%.  There was no property tax. Very humble neighborhood.
Again, Great article MetroJax!

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 09:35:12 AM »
I Spent most of my school age years in Cedar Hills.  I miss the Cedar Hills movie theater.
Lenny Smash

copperfiend

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »
I Spent most of my school age years in Cedar Hills.  I miss the Cedar Hills movie theater.

It was a dollar theater when I moved here so I spent alot of time there and the theater at the Normandy Mall.

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 10:13:10 AM »
My mother took me to the Penney's when I was small.  I remember being afraid of the escalator.  I also remember going to S&S Cafeteria and to the Cedar Hills Theater. 
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »
Thanks for the coverage of Sweetwater.  In one of the 90s Jacksonville books there is a reminiscence from an elderly gentleman (who founded a teachers' credit union) about growing up in Sweetwater, and I knew nothing about the neighborhood beyond that.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

civil42806

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 10:28:29 AM »
Absolutely beautiful neighborhood.  Used to love just driving through there and enjoying the picturesqueness relative to the trees, houses, "laid backness," and southern charm.  If you've never lived in Jax and stumble upon Cedar Hills, you'll swear that you're in a small town which is in fact Jax's "best kept secret."  When I was in the Navy and stationed at NAS Jax, and lived across the street from the base in a trailer park, I would drive through Cedar Hills just to relax and enjoy the Southern charm! From the pics it appears that Cedar Hills has not changed very much; and that's good news!

"HU"

As long as you stay away from "disneyland"  Just to clarify disneyland is the area roughly north of wilson, south of wiley and bounded by Lane and firestone east and west
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:08:32 PM by civil42806 »

hillary supporter

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 11:36:40 AM »
As long as you stay away form "disneyland"
to clarify civil42806's post, I think he means thats a "rough" neighborhood. Mass murderers Ottis Toole and Henry Lucas lived in "disneyland".
I  remember the J C Penneys, Woolworths, Blanding was two lane all the way to Melrose.
God, i feel old :D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 11:39:05 AM by hillary supporter »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 02:40:29 PM »
Just to nitpick a little, the stuff west of I-295 isn't considered Cedar Hills, unless word usage has changed in just the past couple of years. That's Oak Hill -- including the 103rd St Plaza pictured (with the Asian market) and I imagine some of those infill photos, too, as there's a great variety of infill on that side of I-295. It may be hard to imagine as young as the housing there seems, but 4 generations of my family call and have called it home. My grandfather was one of the first buyers in Oak Hill near Melvin & Firestone, and that area was never called Cedar Hills.

No offense taken.  I took the boarder information from Walkscore.com, who used COJ's neighborhoods borders for their site.  Although I don't agree with them, the list and map can be found here: http://www.walkscore.com/FL/Jacksonville

With that said, I did take the liberty to expand Sweetwater and Cedar Hill to reflect portions of these areas that are north of Wilson because Walkscore has the entire area labeled as Hyde Park.

I don't know how it was determined churches and schools are not the focal point of the community. ??? Church and school is everything out there!

Maybe socially but definitely not physically. Through site design, the churches, schools and parks were not laid out in a manor to being focal points of the community.  It seems as if they were an afterthought.  If you look at the development of older areas of our city, you'll find that these civic places were more well integrated with their surroundings.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

videojon

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 06:19:09 PM »
I grew up in the Cedar Hill area (and parents still live near one of the Disney names). I too remember the JC Penney. My first haircut was at a barbershop in the shopping center. It's now part of the police substation I think.