Author Topic: Creating Synergy: History, The Landing or Metro Park?  (Read 5925 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Creating Synergy: History, The Landing or Metro Park?
« on: May 21, 2010, 04:11:42 AM »
Creating Synergy: History, The Landing or Metro Park?

"As Downtown goes, so goes your city. [People] judge a city on Downtown and it can't be a ghost town." - Former Mayor Jake Godbold.

In an attempt to resolve the dedicated parking obligation for the Landing, the future of historic preservation in Jacksonville has been thrown into the middle of the JEDC's mudslinging fest with Toney Sleiman.

Metro Jacksonville explains why the City Council made the right decision in targeting money intended for improvements in Metropolitan Park to resolve the Landing situation instead of raiding the Historic Preservation Fund.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-may-creating-synergy-history-the-landing-or-metro-park

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
Re: Creating Synergy: History, The Landing or Metro Park?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 06:18:36 AM »
I agree with Ennis Davis.  There is little to no focus in developing a comprehensive plan for downtown.  I was not aware of the size of our downtown - relative to other cities of the same size. 
It is indeed disappointing how Metropolitan Park is disconnected from the walkable core.  It is nearly impossible for Metro Park events to benefit the downtown core.  A better location would have afforded visitors to walk freely between the two.  Instead, we have an isolated urban park that sits under a bridge viaduct.
It is especially shameful how we are more likely going to be reading about more historic buildings collapsing from neglect than actually being restorable. 
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 06:57:23 AM »
Well written article. Hope someone is listening.

buckethead

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 07:21:33 AM »
I'd vote for him.

No hesitation.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 08:03:31 AM »
Great article nuff said.

tufsu1

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 08:20:28 AM »
Good article....but I think it is a false choice....there is money for all 3

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 08:34:10 AM »
Very true.  $3.5 out of $8.2 million still leaves $4.7 million for Metropolitan Park, giving the city the option to move forward on all.  Let's hope the Mayor's Office and JEDC can agree with that statement.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 08:36:20 AM »
Good article....but I think it is a false choice....there is money for all 3
Considering just 3 months ago the money was initially allocated for the Landing parking issue kinda makes this an odd compromise to begin with.

Not just that but only $3.5 million of the $8.2 million for Metro Park improvements will be used to settle the Landing parking issue.

Can't see how the mayor fails to see this as anything but win-win but considering he wanted to level the Landing and add a merry-go-round in its place a few years ago, this shouldn't be surprising at all.

St. Auggie

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 08:40:30 AM »
So Jacksonville is spread out?  Huh, who knew.  This only makes sense to start at the main attraction (The Landing) and go from there.  How is that not visible to the folks in charge?

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 08:46:18 AM »
Since I haven't said it lately, thanks to everyone who runs this site for all you do for the city I love.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 09:28:12 AM »
Just "do something" and shut up City Goverment!  Talk is cheap.

"HU"
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialservices.com and thank you!!!

Captain Zissou

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 10:50:48 AM »
This article came at a perfect time.  Last night I tried to walk from my apt on the Southbank to a cafe or bookstore downtown to read and write and grab a bite to eat.  I trekked over the Main Street Bridge, navigated the Laura street construction site, headed north past the Laura Trio, only to find Chamblins, The Downtown Library, Quizno's, MOCA, Blue Boy Sandwiches, and just about everything else CLOSED. 

This left me to Burrito Gallery, London Bridge, 331, and the Landing food court as my options.  Surprisingly, I didn't find a bar as a suitable location to read and write, and I wasn't in the mood for a burrito.  I could have made the hike to Three Layers, but there's no guarantee I would have made it there and back in one piece.  Plus it was an extra mile each way to walk.  I walked back home (the trip took 45 minutes total) and then drove to riverside to find something with any lights on. 

The only people I saw were mostly 'urban outdoorsmen'.  When I did see someone who was just out enjoying the weather, I tended to stare at them out of sheer surprise.  They returned the gaze, as they were just as startled as I was to see someone trying to actually enjoy downtown.  I was asked for money 3 times, I was almost hit by cars twice, and there was a constant odor of feces and sewage on Main Street from Duval street to the top of the Main Street bridge.

$8.2 million dollars towards Metro Park would do NOTHING to change this.  Even if there was a huge event going on at the park last night, any attendees would have been rushed in and out of the core, leaving me alone with the outdoorsmen.  Art Walk doesn't have to be a once a month thing.  With a vibrant core and street level activity, art walk can be renamed 'Tuesday' or 'Thursday'.  Investment in the Landing and the historic building stock are the only thing that is going to change downtown into a vibrant community after 5 pm.  This should be a no brainer, but Johnny Boy wants a legacy project and he can't get over his feud with Ole Toney.

Kay

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 11:30:46 AM »
Ennis:  Great article.  You made your case.  Only thing not explained is that the City is giving him $6 million not just $3.5 million. 

duvaldude08

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 11:47:15 AM »
I really hope that the mayor uses his brain on this one. With the Laura street project revitalizing the trio and the barnett building, and bringing major teanets to the landing, we would finally have an area of downtown worth bragging about. Then after the courthouse if finish, that area will be buzzing as well. Let's hope Johnnie boy uses his brain. It seems like everybody's gettin it except for him.
Jaguars 2.0

vicupstate

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 12:06:50 PM »
This should be a no brainer, but Johnny Boy wants a legacy project and he can't get over his feud with Ole Toney.

Ya know, you really have to wonder if this isn't the real reason these issues can't just be settled, now that city council has passed the bill. 

A renewed, revived Laura Street corridor including the Landing is far superior to a revived Metro Park.  The only reasons I can come up with are 1) the bad blood between Peyton and Sleiman or 2) the Metro park job would result in different contracts which benefit people that the mayor favors. 

I don't want to simply buy into the cynical 'all politicians are lining their pockets' brainwash.  I really don't, but other than those two choices, what else could it be?  If it is either one of those two, neither puts the mayor is a positve light.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln