Author Topic: The Jacksonville Landing: Parking Myths vs. Reality  (Read 18433 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The Jacksonville Landing: Parking Myths vs. Reality
« on: May 11, 2010, 06:04:00 AM »

"These mom and pops are in trouble, and until I can get what I need and what was promised, and what 23 years of promises have been, there is a problem," Sleiman said. The city said it doesn't believe there is a problem with parking.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-may-the-jacksonville-landing-parking-myths-vs-reality

Hurricane

Re: The Jacksonville Landing: Parking Myths vs. Reality
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 06:16:42 AM »
Screw 9B and put the $200M into downtown!  Spend just $40M downtown and it will be amazing what we can do to get downtown up and running. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 06:50:14 AM »
I noticed there's a public hearing tonight on a bill to use $3.5 million from the preservation fund to help resolve the Landing's parking issue.

Issue: Jacksonville Landing parking

What it means: A public hearing will be held on a bill that, if approved, would appropriate $3.5 million from the Downtown Historic Preservation and Revitalization account for the purchase of a parking lot on the corner of Hogan and Bay streets.
Bill No. 2010-330
http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2010-05-10/story/council-will-propose-moving-city-election-fall-2015

While is a good thing that we have council members actively working to live up to the city's 23-year parking obligation and encourage DT development, this is actually a bad idea, IMO.  Its bad because while it helps the Landing, it virtually eliminates the possibility of additional major historic restoration projects taking place in the Northbank.  In other words, without the fund, buildings like the Laura Trio, Barnett and Ambassador Hotel are likely to stay empty and eventually fall to the wrecking ball this city has grown in love with.

The pending restoration of the Ambassador Hotel into a mixed-use loft building adjacent to the new courthouse, is an example of a project that would die if the historic preservation fund is depleted.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-sep-ambassador-hotel-rehabilitation-plans-revealed

Below, an email Metro Jacksonville received in regards to the depletion of the preservation fund:

Sam Easton was just getting ready to start on the hotel converting it
from 120 hotel to 52 unit apartments and was counting on help from the
city(once offered $1 million from the historic preservation fund). If
that money is used for a parking garage for the Landing the Ambassador
will never get off the ground.

While, we definitely need to live up to our 23-year-old parking obligation to help make the Landing a more successful place, the answer should not mean weakening our historic preservation efforts as a result.  Instead, that $3.5 million needs to be taken from a insignificant project like Metropolitan Park. Subtract, $3.5 from $8.2 and you still end up with $4.7 million for phase 1 Metropolitan Park improvements, plus take care of the Landing issue. Think Jacksonville!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 06:51:58 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

RiversideLoki

• What do you mean we can't turn left here?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:30:56 AM »
Great post. Really sets things into perspective!
Find Jacksonville on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/jacksonville!

Bativac

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:51:37 AM »
Why are they dumping so much money into Metro Park? I don't go over there frequently, probably 3 or 4 times a year, but even so I don't see where it needs $8.2 million worth of work. Or am I asking a stupid question?

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 09:05:34 AM »
I love that MetroJacksonville.com is keeping the light on this issue.  We need to settle this one now.  I vote for a House of Blues and Epic Burger.
Lenny Smash

tufsu1

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 09:18:38 AM »
Why are they dumping so much money into Metro Park? I don't go over there frequently, probably 3 or 4 times a year, but even so I don't see where it needs $8.2 million worth of work. Or am I asking a stupid question?

It is called maintenance...the Kids Kampus part has been open for about 10 years with virtually no upkeep done.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:23:16 AM by tufsu1 »

tufsu1

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 09:22:29 AM »
Does the Power Plant in Baltimore (Barnes & Noble, Hard Rock, and ESPN) have dedicated parking somewhere...the only thing I know of is a garage 2 blocks away that was built a few years ago.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 09:25:54 AM »
Its a step above maintenance. Its a part of a plan to completely reconfigure a significant portion of the park into something that it currently is not.  The simple solution would be to break the improvement plan into another series of phases.  Taking this rouet will make it longer to revamp the park to the mayor's vision but who cares?  Either way, as long as its as isolated as it is, its not going to do much for the health and vibrancy of downtown.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 09:32:38 AM »
I think preserving our historic building stock is much more important for DT than met park at this time.  Look what the Carling and 11E have already done to re-energize the northbank.  Imagine if we had 7+ buildings of that caliber.  

I agree that met park should be phased, but I think we could also find a way to cut some costs.  $8 million for a seldom used park is too much.  I think we could reduce the cost of the park to $7 mil, cut it into 2 phases, of $3.5M each, and presto! There's your money for the parking lot/garage.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 09:41:38 AM »
Does the Power Plant in Baltimore (Barnes & Noble, Hard Rock, and ESPN) have dedicated parking somewhere...the only thing I know of is a garage 2 blocks away that was built a few years ago.

Baltimore's Inner Harbor has a significant amount of foot traffic that Jax does not, which can alter parking requirements for chains.  Nevertheless, there are a ton of garages in the immediate area.  Most are integrated with adjacent buildings.  I'm not too familiar with the origins of Cordish's Power Plant project but it would be hard to imagine that they don't have parking agreements with a couple of nearby lots.  Btw, Cordish just purchased another garage in the area to ensure the success of their investments in Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

"Our objective from the beginning stages of development was to create a cohesive project that supported every aspect of the complex. Our first objective will be to upgrade the garage to a level consistent with the rest of Power Plant Live."

The company has spent more than $11 million to upgrade 34 Market Place, a 300,000-square- foot property a block off the Inner Harbor, into a series of bars, restaurants and offices that opened last year, according to the BDC, the city's development arm, which negotiated the lease.

Selling the property and the Frederick Street garage to the developer as one unit will "enhance the likelihood of success for the project and for the revitalization of the overall marketplace area," according to a summary the BDC submitted to the city board.

The BDC also said that the city would get a lump-sum payment of $2 million, instead of the $1.6 million that the lease payments would likely have amounted to over its 75-year term. The lease projections are far lower than the $1.9 million over 20 years that city officials said two years ago that the lease would produce.

Under that lease, Cordish is paying 25 percent of gross revenue in rent, less the company's expenses and a 4.5 percent management fee. The company was also guaranteed a 16 percent return on project costs before it had to pay rent.

Cordish has proposed paying $3.5 million for the garage, which it does not control under its lease. The company would also spend $700,000 to upgrade the 275-car facility.

The garage was appraised by the city in September 2001 for $3.8 million. But BDC said it needed at least $410,000 in repair work.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2002-01-16/business/0201160269_1_cordish-garage-power-plant

Miss Fixit

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 09:43:02 AM »
How many people use Kids Kampus at Metro Park each year?  My guess is, other than public school groups who stop by for lunch after downtown field trips (a useless exercise, something I can say based on personal experience) not many.  

Pay for Landing parking with Metro Park money and leave the historic preservation funds alone!

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 10:12:19 AM »
FYI, Red Robin has indeed looked at expanding into Jacksonville... around the Hodges/Beach Blvd area.  So, certain national chains mentioned above that are currently not in Jacksonville have shown interest in our market.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 10:15:02 AM »
How many people use Kids Kampus at Metro Park each year?  My guess is, other than public school groups who stop by for lunch after downtown field trips (a useless exercise, something I can say based on personal experience) not many.  

Pay for Landing parking with Metro Park money and leave the historic preservation funds alone!

Friend of mine had worked as a lifeguard at Kids Kampus for several years... Hannah Park's small 'water park' near the lake gets more kids during the summer than Kids Kampus.  If not for the buses that Miss Fixit describes, its useage would be far less.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:16:59 AM by fieldafm »

copperfiend

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 10:15:34 AM »
I have been to Baltimore many times and the Inner Harbor is great. Imagine if we could solve the Landing's parking issue and build a world class aquarium next door. Last time I went, there was also a decommissioned submarine that you could tour.