Author Topic: A City Deferred: Glorious Johnson's Kick-off Speech  (Read 6109 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
A City Deferred: Glorious Johnson's Kick-off Speech
« on: April 21, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »
A City Deferred: Glorious Johnson's Kick-off Speech

In a kickoff event held at the Historic Five Points Theatre on the evening of Thursday, April 15, 2010, Councilwoman Glorious Johnson outlined her vision for Jacksonville's future.  She also got a few digs in at opponents, whether mayoral or establishment types.  Set in Historic Five Points, the emotional, fiery and at times stirring speech served as the kickoff of her campaign and the firing of a few shots over the bow.

MetroJacksonville was there to witness the commencement of what promises to be the most colorful campaign of the election and the people who are supporting her.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-apr-a-city-deferred-glorious-johnsons-kick-off-speech

buckethead

Re: A City Deferred: Glorious Johnson's Kick-off Speech
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:00:44 AM »
I click the linky... which takes me to the home page... but no matching article exists there.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 06:27:08 AM »
Nice article, looks like a different kind of campaign.
A question about something in the article:
Surprising enough that she might get the Democratic Nomination, and depending on her Republican adversary, surprising enough to possibly win.
Aren't Jacksonville's city elections unitary?  That is, all candidates of all parties (or no party) are on the same ballot in March, then the top two vote getters - regardless of party - meet in the 2nd election in May, assuming no one gets 50%+1 vote (unlikely with so many candidates).  Or, if the move-the-election referendum passes - September (?) and November.

sheclown

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 06:38:11 AM »
She inspires --

buckethead

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 06:51:44 AM »
I read the transcript, rather than watching the vid.

She used the term "social justice" which tends to irk me.

The main plus for me is her stating she would sever ties between the well connected pilferers and city hall. Corporate welfare for the rich and well connected has been a major function of City Hall for too long.

She also spoke of urban planning and transit, but no specifics. Understandable for an initial campaign speech. I'd like to hear more.

Being a St Johns County resident prevents me from voting in this race, but in PVB we are more connected to Jax than St Augustine. I wish her well and hope whoever wins will take on the network of GOBs and force them to participate in the competitive free market they claim to believe in.

vicupstate

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 07:21:38 AM »
Aren't Jacksonville's city elections unitary?  That is, all candidates of all parties (or no party) are on the same ballot in March, then the top two vote getters - regardless of party - meet in the 2nd election in May, assuming no one gets 50%+1 vote (unlikely with so many candidates).  Or, if the move-the-election referendum passes - September (?) and November.

You are correct.  There is no such thing as a GOP nomination or a Dem. nomination in this race. If Democrats unite behind her, she is a good bet to make the final two. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Livein32206

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:33:51 AM »
I found her speech both motivational and inspiring. I feel that she has a real chance to win this election. So many have become disillusioned by the current and past administrations, and have virtually lost any faith and most importantly, trust. It's time to bring this city to its feet and work towards making it into a city that is for the people and not just the selected few.

Dapperdan

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 07:48:08 AM »
I wish she felt differently about Mayport. I don't think the razing of Lavilla for empty parking lots compares to wanting to build a cruise terminal in Mayport. I think the cruise terminal can save that dying village.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 07:57:40 AM »
If it was not for her, Adams Street would be consumed with bus fumes and JTA would have probably started on their old billion dollar bus plan by now.  She's the council member that gave us the time and access into city hall to present our arguments against JTA's plan which ended up saving this city and taxpayers hundreds of millions.  However, since most only focus on the city's immediate future, she'll never get the credit she deserves with that particular issue.

Knowing her, if someone could walk into this debate and propose a plan that meets the needs and development goals of both JAXPORT and Mayport, she could change her mind.  Unfortunately, this community has grown accustomed to drawing lines in the sand on issues, refusing to have good dialogue between opposing views and thus, continues to throw the baby out with the bath water.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 09:56:55 AM »
Not so very long ago, after first winning an NFL franchise and then successfully hosting the Super Bowl in 2005, many people believed that Jacksonville’s time finally had come.  With all of the attendant favorable publicity from this event, people across the country were looking at our city with a new appreciation of its potential.  Here at home, we had passed the Better Jacksonville Plan and had begun to address many of the city’s most pressing infrastructure needs.  Likewise, economic development funds were set aside for the city’s long-neglected northwest neighborhoods.  At about the same time, Jaxport was formulating ambitious plans for long term expansion that would position this city in the forefront of world commerce.  At long last, positive changes seemed to be in the offering for all of Jacksonville’s residents, and it was about time.  Continuing problems notwithstanding, people were finally beginning to feel good about their city.

This sounds like the direct result of the Peyton administration.  We were finally starting to build up some steam with Delaney, but it all came crashing down with the next regime. 

I too like her stance as a GOB fighter.  We definitely don't need anymore of what has been going on lately.  Millions of handouts to developers have been lost forever from city pockets. 

I wish she would have specifically said commuter rail and streetcar, she was too ambiguous on transit.  She never talked about revitalizing DT and making it the centerpiece for our city.  I think the Mayport cruise terminal is an absolute necessity. I like who she is, but I didn't see a lot of the issues I care about discussed in her speech.

Also, where are the high-rise Condos in Southpoint?? Does 4 stories count as a high rise?

TheProfessor

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 10:00:09 AM »
I think she has a lot of good things to say.  I hope she can fulfill these promises.  How does her platform compare to the other candidates?

SkipnStones

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 10:08:33 AM »
I see nothing new here at all. More political and celebrity posturing. I see no record of improvements to the revitalization of downtown just more broom sweeping of corruption to another corner of city hall.
I see no experience other than academia and political which are not great soils for creating jobs and growth.
I see typical rhetoric and campaign promises which we all know are empty suits.
Nothing there....
The people of Jacksonville deserve a candidate..... ANY candidate that is at least by minimum standards of leadership, ingenuity and vision.....capable of turning this hunk of coal into a diamond....called Jacksonville!

DraftGlorious

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »
I think you should check out her voting record, Skip. She knows the city, she knows the finances. And as far as I can see, she is the only one who will actually go after the crooks in city hall.

She has a broom, all right, one that will sweep all of the corruption right out of the peoples house!

duvaldude08

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 10:32:12 AM »
Not so very long ago, after first winning an NFL franchise and then successfully hosting the Super Bowl in 2005, many people believed that Jacksonville’s time finally had come.  With all of the attendant favorable publicity from this event, people across the country were looking at our city with a new appreciation of its potential.  Here at home, we had passed the Better Jacksonville Plan and had begun to address many of the city’s most pressing infrastructure needs.  Likewise, economic development funds were set aside for the city’s long-neglected northwest neighborhoods.  At about the same time, Jaxport was formulating ambitious plans for long term expansion that would position this city in the forefront of world commerce.  At long last, positive changes seemed to be in the offering for all of Jacksonville’s residents, and it was about time.  Continuing problems notwithstanding, people were finally beginning to feel good about their city.

This sounds like the direct result of the Peyton administration.  We were finally starting to build up some steam with Delaney, but it all came crashing down with the next regime. 

I too like her stance as a GOB fighter.  We definitely don't need anymore of what has been going on lately.  Millions of handouts to developers have been lost forever from city pockets. 

I wish she would have specifically said commuter rail and streetcar, she was too ambiguous on transit.  She never talked about revitalizing DT and making it the centerpiece for our city.  I think the Mayport cruise terminal is an absolute necessity. I like who she is, but I didn't see a lot of the issues I care about discussed in her speech.

Also, where are the high-rise Condos in Southpoint?? Does 4 stories count as a high rise?

I actually believe she does not want to make any promises she cant keep. No one person will solve all of our problems. Just the fact that she highlighted transit and the development of DT is enough for me. I feel she can take this city in the right direction.
Jaguars 2.0

Captain Zissou

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 10:35:40 AM »
Good point Duvaldude.  I am a firm believer in never promising anything you aren't 100% sure you can deliver.  It is early in the campaign and she did set a framework for what could be a great campaign.  Maybe I'm just a little too hasty on what I want to hear.