Author Topic: Elements of Urbanism: New Orleans  (Read 5701 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Elements of Urbanism: New Orleans
« on: April 15, 2010, 06:06:12 AM »
Elements of Urbanism: New Orleans

Metro Jacksonville explores the urban neighborhoods of the South's most walkable major city: New Orleans

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-apr-elements-of-urbanism-new-orleans

billy

Re: Elements of Urbanism: New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:58:05 AM »
Visited last spring so daughter could look at Tulane.
Stayed on St. Charles. Coolest city, most wonderful food.
Took taxi from airport and rode streetcars for the whole trip.

tufsu1

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:50:48 AM »
there's one shot in there that makes me wonder....what was Ennis taking a picture of....the flags near Rick's saloon or something else  :D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 07:56:08 AM by tufsu1 »

mtraininjax

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 08:05:44 AM »
Went to Mardi Gras this year, stayed near City Park with the family of our friend. We saw all about Mardi Gras, the parades are for the citizens, while the qtr is for tourists. The parades down Magazine street are why there are beads in the trees, its amazing what they do for the parades, and also the fact that 30 minutes after the parade has passed, their sanitation crew has the streets cleaned and re-opened.

It is also amazing the number of downtown buildings that still have windows blown out from Katrina, never to be used again. It is a great place, with great restaurants for sure.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

aaapolito

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 08:52:14 AM »
Fortune 500 companies 2009 (City limits only):

New Orleans: Entergy (205)
Jacksonville: CSX (240), Winn-Dixie (340)

I know that this article includes the 2009 statistics, but here is an update:

You can now add Fidelity National Financial (366) to Jacksonville's list of Fortune 500 Companies.  Please see most recent list of Fortune 500 Companies: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2010/states/FL.html

Burn to Shine

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 08:56:10 AM »
New Orleans has to be one of my all time favorite cities.  Walking, riding with the public...everyone mixes.  The atmosphere is great.  I don't know if I could live there full time but I do love to visit. 

Makes me want to plan a trip right now just thinking about it.   

Captain Zissou

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 09:41:38 AM »
From the photo tour it looks like New Orleans kicks our behind.  Have we ever done a Jax Elements of Urbanism photo tour?? 

jason_contentdg

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 09:47:25 AM »
From the photo tour it looks like New Orleans kicks our behind.  Have we ever done a Jax Elements of Urbanism photo tour?? 

What about a Jax elements of Suburbanism? ;)

tufsu1

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 10:03:26 AM »

depends on your perspective...I know 2 people who just came back from a conference there....and thought it was the filithiest, scariest, most depressing city they've ever been to.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 10:58:31 AM »
Cool urban core to me.  I spent a good amount of my time in the city's actual neighborhoods instead of the tourist parts.  However, like all places, you feel more comfortable when you know your way around and how to carry yourself in different environments.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 11:00:48 AM »
there's one shot in there that makes me wonder....what was Ennis taking a picture of....the flags near Rick's saloon or something else  :D

What's your problem against flags?  ;D
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jojo

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 11:44:03 AM »
Having moved from NOLA to Jax many years ago and frequently visiting NOLA I have to say in many ways, yes New Orleans kicks Jax butt. As for the 2 that felt it was filthy, scary, and depressing,they must not get out in Jax much.Jax is filthy,our convention center is outdated,our crime is just as bad,in NOLA they were probably in the downtown area at night,have they done that in Jax? Chances are that would scare and depress them,also.Lightweights.lol
Bottom line,you CAN live comfortably in NOLA with no car! If you have never lived in a walkable city you have no idea how much that adds to the quality life.

tufsu1

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 12:56:24 PM »
jojo...neither of them live in jax...one just moved from Orlando to Houston and the other lives in the Tampa area....having been to New Orleans a few times myself, I kind of understand where they are coming from.

That said, one sees things much differently by walking versus driving...and I suspect that also played a part in what they saw/felt.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 01:45:07 PM »
That's the same feeling many people get driving through Jacksonville on I-95.  Outside of the downtown segment, the visual image is not an impressive one.  However, if you get off the expressway and main arterials to check out the city's collection of neighborhoods this outlook quickly changes.

finehoe

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 02:23:38 PM »
I love me some Nawlins.  I haven't been post-Katrina, but the pictures make it seem that things are looking up.