Author Topic: Transit Numbers Released: How Does Jacksonville Rank?  (Read 5689 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Transit Numbers Released: How Does Jacksonville Rank?
« on: March 24, 2010, 04:07:49 AM »
Transit Numbers Released: How Does Jacksonville Rank?

Ever wonder how Jacksonville's transit ridership numbers compare to other cities across the country? The American Public Transportation Association's (APTA) Fourth Quarter 2009 Ridership Report shows that JTA has some work to do.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-mar-transit-numbers-released-how-does-jacksonville-rank

CS Foltz

Re: Transit Numbers Released: How Does Jacksonville Rank?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 06:47:19 AM »
JTA's answer will be to build more roads and buy more bus's! Still have shelter issue's but we have money for a Transportation Center which will increase ridership right?

tufsu1

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:10:35 AM »
a few notes on Florida ridership #'s

1. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale also include portions of Tri-Rail (listed as Pompano Beach)
2. Orlando's system (Central FL RTA or Lynx) includes service to metro area, not just Orange County
3. Tampa and Pinellas systems may get combined at some point into an RTA (like Orlando)
4. Gainesville # include on-campus routes in addition to citywide routes
5. Why isn't Tallahassee listed?

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:47:04 AM »
1700 Skyway riers per day = 443,000 weekday riders or 620,500 annual riders.

Interesting.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 08:48:42 AM »
We don't stack up very well against other major cities in Florida, and we do really poor against other U.S. major cities; when Gainesville has more increased ridership than us (slightly), and we're supposedly a much bigger city (vis a vis consolidation), then something's wrong; and I know those numbers are reflective of the size of the consolidated city of Jacksonville.  If that ridership was based on old city boundaries "pre consolidation" or new city boundaries (contemporary) outside of consolidation, we'd be below other Florida cities as well (sarasota, pompano beach, west palm beach, etc.).

"HU"
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialservices.com and thank you!!!

cline

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:58:35 AM »
when Gainesville has more increased ridership than us (slightly), and we're supposedly a much bigger city (vis a vis consolidation), then something's wrong;

The Gainesville numbers are skewed due to campus ridership.  UF has made it a point to eliminate parking on campus which forces the majority of students living off campus to ride the bus.  So most students have no choice.  The fare for students is free because it is built into their tuition.  I would venture to guess that non-campus ridership is no where close to the Jax system (if it really matters).

Doctor_K

• Carolina Fusion
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:12:07 AM »
With all the bus lines we have, why is ridership not higher?

Ineffective routes?

Ridiculously long headways? (Actually that's a gimmie - the headways suck)

Ineffective management?

What else?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 09:18:05 AM »
^Little things like a lack of bus shelters, long headways, poor customer service, inefficient transfers and a bad image add up to be huge stumbling blocks.  In short, we have a hostile and unreliable system.  Until that changes, ridership won't be as high as it possibly could.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

James

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 09:55:09 AM »
I went to college at UCF in Orlando and was not a regular bus rider, but did so when needed, a few times a month.  I have never used JTA because I perceive (maybe errantly) that it is kinda sketchy and not safe.  I don't know if that is a widely held opinion, or if I would be in the minority.  It seems like in Jacksonville people have to use the bus, they don't choose to use the bus.   

Doctor_K

• Carolina Fusion
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:58:29 AM »
^Little things like a lack of bus shelters, long headways, poor customer service, inefficient transfers and a bad image add up to be huge stumbling blocks.  In short, we have a hostile and unreliable system.  Until that changes, ridership won't be as high as it possibly could.
And that changes how?  New city administration appointing new people?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 10:33:10 AM »
when Gainesville has more increased ridership than us (slightly), and we're supposedly a much bigger city (vis a vis consolidation), then something's wrong;

The Gainesville numbers are skewed due to campus ridership.  UF has made it a point to eliminate parking on campus which forces the majority of students living off campus to ride the bus.  So most students have no choice.  The fare for students is free because it is built into their tuition.  I would venture to guess that non-campus ridership is no where close to the Jax system (if it really matters).

UF students make up a quarter of the city.  Students do have choices and options.  I rode the bus probably 4 times in gville, just because I preferred to bike my 2 miles to campus.  There are multiple surface lots that are really cheap (100 hours for $100, or $500 a semester) adjacent to campus. Students for the most part live within two miles of the campus.  RTS is just a well run bus system so you can predict what time you'll get picked up and dropped off, or make it to your destination without switching buses.  I would say only about 33% of students ride the bus.

cline

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 10:44:17 AM »
UF students make up a quarter of the city.  Students do have choices and options.  I rode the bus probably 4 times in gville, just because I preferred to bike my 2 miles to campus.  There are multiple surface lots that are really cheap (100 hours for $100, or $500 a semester) adjacent to campus. Students for the most part live within two miles of the campus.  RTS is just a well run bus system so you can predict what time you'll get picked up and dropped off, or make it to your destination without switching buses.  I would say only about 33% of students ride the bus.

Actually, UF students make up 40% of the population of Gainesville (which is approximately 120k according to BEBR 2006 estimates).  You are correct though students do have choices such as walking, biking or paying to park.  However, many students do not live within walking distance (and some do not live within biking distance).  Also, many students do not have the funds to pay for parking.  I will agree with you on the fact that RTS is a fairly well run bus system.  The headways are good (as long as you are not one of the last stops on the route) and the stops convenient, which is why I rode the bus my entire time there.

Not sure where you got the 33% number, but assuming it is true that is still 16k students everyday, not including any faculty or staff that may ride.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
^Little things like a lack of bus shelters, long headways, poor customer service, inefficient transfers and a bad image add up to be huge stumbling blocks.  In short, we have a hostile and unreliable system.  Until that changes, ridership won't be as high as it possibly could.

And that changes how?  New city administration appointing new people?

Most likely a combination of things.  Here are two ways to start to improve things.  

1. Bus Shelters.

By allowing the private sector the right to advertise on them, most shelters could be provided and maintained free of charge.  However, like with many issues facing this city, there's strong opposition to this.  Nevertheless, its still a viable solution to protecting riders from the elements, which would help make the system more user friendly.

2. Downtown Loop/Skyway/PCTs

Most buses are required to take a crazy loop through downtown's streets.  This burns fuel and increases the time required to access several destinations throughout town.  At the same time, we have a skyway and PCTs already being funded that serve many of the same downtown destinations.  Eliminating the duplication by better integrating these services (that are already being paid for) would enhance the service of several existing bus routes and increase ridership numbers on the skyway and PCTs.

These are just two simple examples of improving and better utilizing whats already in place. Other areas could be implementing a couple of proposed BRT corridors with regular high frequency bus service and improving the end user's ability to transfer between routes and modes.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

cline

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 11:05:14 AM »
It seems minor, but I think a better route naming system could help as well.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 11:39:38 AM »
Our failures are the product of decades of neglect, of building a city for the wealthy, on the backs of $10 dollar an hour jobs. The mindset that all mass transit is for the poor and working class, and THEY won't complain too loudly as we hand them their daily rations. Decades of "good enough" rather then "best of the best". Decades of smoke and mirrors such as "HYBRID AC", and then selling it as "Green" and a real "Hybrid System"... Which it it not. Decades of 1/2 way efforts, incomplete projects, mountains of studies, molehills of action, dead end Skyways and routes completely out of touch with the demands of a modern society.

Maybe I should tell them what I really think??

OCKLAWAHA