Author Topic: Urban Neighborhoods: St. Nicholas  (Read 8271 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Neighborhoods: St. Nicholas
« on: March 23, 2010, 06:06:07 AM »

Metro Jacksonville explores historic Southbank neighborhoods of St. Nicholas.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-mar-urban-neighborhoods-st-nicholas

southshore

Re: Urban Neighborhoods: St. Nicholas
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »
I live in the area that this article refers to as Reeds Subdivision, but have never heard it called that. Officially the neighborhood and its association is called South Shores.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 09:10:57 AM »
Beautiful and quaint historic looking neighborhood.  Never knew St. Nicholas existed.  The Mudville Grille; what kind of name is that for a restaurant?  What do they make mud pies?  (LOL)...just kidding.  Absolutely lovely neighborhood, one that I'd like to live in.  Best kept secret for Jax, don't y'all think?  Great thread.

"HU"
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Miss Fixit

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 09:12:07 AM »
Another great article!  How cool is Palmer Terrace?  And wouldn't I love to see the interior of 1117!

Bativac

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:15:55 AM »
This is my favorite area of town... but I'm biased since I grew up there. We lived in a small 3 bathroom 1 bedroom house. Dad loved it because it was so easy to repair - if a piece of wood was rotten, you yanked it off and replaced it.

We used to ride our bikes to the Riverwalk (back when it was new). I could swear there used to be an ice cream place or something in one of the shops along the riverwalk. I remember getting cotton candy, and some group of older kids jumped us, hit my friend in the mouth and stole the cotton candy.

Also I remember my friend's aunt driving past Channel 4 when George Winterling was outside in George's Garden doing a segment. We shouted "HI GEORGE!" from the car in the parking lot and he cracked up.

Good times!!

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 09:17:58 AM »
That felt like one of the most comprehensive tours yet.  I guess I knew so little about the 'hood to begin with I had more to learn.

VERY well done!

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 09:19:36 AM »
Bativac, you had a 3 bathroom 1 bedroom house?   ;D

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 09:56:41 AM »
St. Nicholas is home to three of the best places to chow down in town:

--Beach Road Chicken
--Bono's
--Havana Jax

Out. Standing.

Great photos and great presentation, as always!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

redglittercoffin

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 10:03:09 AM »
I love this neighborhood.  Drive through it every day commuting to and from work.  I remember stumbling across this area of town about two years after I moved here thinking -- why didn't my realtor show me this area?! 

I don't mean this as a slight to the residents, but I've always thought of this area as a poor man's San Marco.  It has the charm of San Marco without all of the glitz and glamor.  It's like looking at a cover model without all of the make-up.  I'd love to pick up a house here some day.
...I just need one last nail

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 10:18:49 AM »
That felt like one of the most comprehensive tours yet.  I guess I knew so little about the 'hood to begin with I had more to learn.

VERY well done!

Thanks.  I learned some things myself putting this together.  Just going down the side streets in places like St. Nicholas reveals many things you never would have thought about being located there.  For example, before Saturday, I had no idea where the Palmer Terrace Park or the St. Nicholas Cemetery was.  I also never paid attention to that city park in South Shores and didn't realize that the St. Nicholas Playground was a short walk away from the historic town center.  They have a pretty decent pedestrian shed working there and could easily be built on to be a real vibrant space one day.  Anyway, look for more detailed neighborhood tours like this in the upcoming weeks.  I'm gearing up to tackle the neighborhoods (Brentwood, Longbranch, Panama Park, Tallulah and Northshore) of Metro North over the next couple of weeks. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 11:10:01 AM »
Great job.  You covered everything and more in that neighborhood.  I just ran through it a couple weeks ago (river run), and there are some great small homes in the area.  I may look into buying one.

Are you going to cover Empire Point so my old High School (Episcopal) will get some representation?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 11:11:14 AM »
^Yes.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bativac

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 12:28:29 PM »
Jason thanks for catching that error. I'm gonna leave it in.

I wanted to mention that when I was looking for homes last year in my old neighborhood, South Shores, the prices had gone way, WAY up. Maybe they've come back down, but there were several 3 bedroom 1 bathroom homes with a $240k plus asking price. We ended up in the Empire Point area, which is nice, but I would love to have been back in South Shores.

Growing up, it was a middle class (maybe lower middle class...) area full of great starter homes. My parents paid $30K for our house in 1980. By the time my mom went nuts and they sold the house, they got $90k for it (in 1996). Nowadays they're going for almost triple that... sure is a neat area though. Just wandering the streets you find the neatest little 60 and 70 year old homes.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 12:29:01 PM »
Took a drive and found the cemetary and park... both could use some TLC... :)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Dog Walker

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 02:32:43 PM »
We lived on Old Hickory Road for about eight years after moving back to Jax in 1979.  It's was/is a great neighborhood.  We then moved onto to Miller's Creek for the next twenty-two years until moving to Riverside.  Walked a couple of generations of dogs through those streets pictured.

Some of the old maps show a tide driven lumber mill across the mouth of the creek.

The whole area was developed by the Stockton Land Company....maybe the Stockton- Telfair Company by then.  They developed the land, built some spec houses and would build a house for you from their catalog and even hold the mortgage.  Full service development company.

All of the Stockton built house in the area have some characteristics in common; fireplace, curved top opening between living room and some other room and a picture rail in the living room and dining room, oak floors.  They all also have a particular roof framing system that you have to go into the attic to see.

On the west side of Bishop Kenny, they were built prior to 1941 on the east side construction started again after the war.  They are all off-grade and very well built.

Where Bishop Kenny High School is now was a shipyard during the war.  They built Liberty ships there.
When all else fails hug the dog.