Author Topic: Integrating First Baptist with Laura St and Downtown  (Read 4064 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Integrating First Baptist with Laura St and Downtown
« on: March 09, 2010, 05:08:41 AM »
Integrating First Baptist with Laura St and Downtown

With the Laura Street Streetscape project underway, Metro Jacksonville takes a look at better integrating the First Baptist Church campus with the rest of downtown and eventually Springfield.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-mar-integrating-first-baptist-with-laura-st-and-downtown

Miss Fixit

Re: Integrating First Baptist with Laura St and Downtown
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:12:25 AM »
Great ideas - implementation would benefit both church and community at large.

fsu813

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:31:13 AM »
What's FBC incentive to do such a thing?

Unless their is demand by their congregation or people with influence.....
You know i'm just kiddin'.............unless you're gonna do it   -Kanye

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 08:42:05 AM »
What was Potter's House's incentive to revitalize the Normandy Mall?

In November 2002, the ministry took possession of a 48-acre, 376,000 square feet shopping complex formerly known as Normandy Mall. In November 2003 a portion of this massive space (the 103,000 square foot Sam’s Wholesale Club), was converted to accommodate the need for church growth and the facilitation of additional ministries within the local church. Once the first phase of the new facility was completed, (which included a 4,200 seat sanctuary and an 11,000 square foot nursery) the Lane Avenue facility was converted to accommodate the growth of the school by creating new classrooms and converting the prefabricated Sprung structure into a gymnasium. In 2005 phase two of the mall renovations were completed, which included a 800 seat children’s church, a coffee shop and teen café, a full recording studio, a lecture hall, a wedding chapel, conference rooms, administrative offices, book store and much more.

In Spring of 2006 renovations began on the last 177,000 square foot of the mall and now it is the home of the West sides largest shopping venue and is now known as Kingdom Plaza. People come from all over the world to see and marvel at this once dilapidated facility that now houses Jacksonville’s number one soul food restaurant, THE POTTER’S HOUSE SOUL FOOD BISTRO. The 300 seat restaurant anchors the mall along with the 14,000 square foot state of the art fitness and aqua center (Temple Builders). Anchoring the east end of the mall is a 22 lane bowling alley and gameroom called King Pins Bowling center. The mall also is the home to Eden Spa and Salons a full service day spa with the latest in spa equipment. There is a jewelry store, florist, tee shirt shop, pro bowl shop, women’s shoe store, cellular phone store, health food store, medical supplies store, insurance company, realty offices full day care and pre-school center, barber shop and more to come. And the vision continues to unfold with our visionary’s eyes set on the 27 1/2 acres of undeveloped land . . . waitingfor the next move of God. We’re sure that the best is yet to come.

http://www.potters-house.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=75

If you're in the business of "saving souls" wouldn't you have a stronger impact at prevailing in your mission by being apart of and a catalyst for the community that surrounds you?  My guess is that revitalizing the Normandy Mall exposes Potter's House and their endeavors to a larger percentage of the community they attempt to evangelize.  

Other than that, something as simple as exposing the restaurant they have to the general public could allow them to increase the profitability of that facility and what religious organization does not need a little extra income for funding their ministries?

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsu813

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 09:05:28 AM »
Besides Spar Council, has any other neighborhood organization or stakeholder in SPR approached FBC to create a working partnership of sorts.

I'd imagine establishing a relationship with FBC would the first step in getting them involved as a catalyst.
You know i'm just kiddin'.............unless you're gonna do it   -Kanye

duvaldude08

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 09:18:37 AM »
Hello all!

I attend the Potter's House and I am actually very proud of the facility. It is a great example of "thinking outside of the box" I feel we need more revitalization projects like this (in the urban core). This sure beats seeing that empty shell of a mall that was there previously. I commend bishop as this was very creative. If you haven't checked it out, you should. From the Sanctuary to the mall, this place is gorgeous. And the Bistro is a delight if you are into soul food.

When it comes to a church, an "incentive" is never the goal of a project. ( at least for the potters house anyways)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:22:05 AM by duvaldude08 »
Jaguars 2.0

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 09:22:58 AM »
Fsu813, most likely, DVI and the JEDC, from a public standpoint.  Or perhaps it can be as simple as getting someone on board, inside of the church.  Their buildings are aging so at some point, they will have to pour in money to retrofit and upgrade them.  When that time comes, it would be a perfect opportunity to include context sensitive design solutions.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 09:54:11 AM »
I would say that cafe is already aging, so upgrading it to interact with the city should be done sooner rather than later.  It benefits the city to have them cooperate, so a small financial incentive could be given to the church.  The church should want to improve its surrounding neighborhood, and further ingratiate itself with the city, so they have incentive to remodel. 

This could be a favor they do for the city that they can call in whenever they want to force some ridiculous alcohol ban in the future....

thebrokenforum

• Broken Sword Publications
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 11:55:46 AM »
The last thing downtown needs is more church influence.

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 04:57:52 PM »
Speaking of positive church involvement downtown, perhaps the main reason that the Parks at the Cathedral development got built was because the Episcopal Cathedral donated the land and partnered with the COJ and Bank of America to make it happen.  I may not agree with some churh positions on alcohol and other things but as a DT resident I consider the churches good neighbors.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

Seraphs

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 06:18:29 PM »
Good luck with this.  I've never known FBC to become really involved in downtown or the community, unless it was to shut something down.  I admire the optimism some of you are expressing over this, but when it comes to becoming involved I find the congregation aloof and nonchalant.

stjr

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 06:28:40 PM »
Any chance of retrofitting the garage fortresses for street level retail?  Those are the biggest blights to me.  What else could be done to enhance those blocks?
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

Kay

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 10:11:50 PM »
Mike Hogan is a member of First Baptist and running for mayor.  Would be interesting to ask if he would support your suggestions. 

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 03:48:13 PM »
^^Good news.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

Mattius92

• It's time to bring the "Change" to Jacksonville.
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 12:12:41 AM »
If we ever want to make Laura street the street to be, FBC needs to revamp the exterior of their campus. However I dont think they really care, unless the congregation approves, and why should they. Though the church could totally fit in, just right now its totally desolate.
SunRail, Florida's smart transit idea. :) (now up on the chopping block) :(