Author Topic: Bus Shelters: Time to Grow up Jacksonville  (Read 11800 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Bus Shelters: Time to Grow up Jacksonville
« on: August 07, 2007, 07:00:00 AM »
Bus Shelters: Time to Grow up Jacksonville

Our transit system is a joke.  Finally JTA comes up with a plan to improve end user conditions, without taxpayer dollars and some civic groups, including DVI and JaxPride, are opposed because some shelters would include advertising space, such as this.  Jacksonville isn't Mayberry anymore.  It's time to grow up and here's why.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/531

Jason

• Global Moderator
Re: Bus Shelters: Time to Grow up Jacksonville
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 08:25:25 AM »
I'm glad to see that the bus shelters are back on the hot plate.  They are sorely needed.

downtownparks

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 08:35:32 AM »
two questions stemming from this issue would be, what happens to existing shelters? The new stops put into Springfield dont have any built in sign space. Would we be exempt, or would they try to add signage?

Secondly, will there be restrictions for ads? I don't want to see adds for Cigarettes or Colt 45 on our bus stops.

archiphreak

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 08:37:42 AM »
Yes, these shelters are badly needed.  And I think MetroJacksonville should sponsor a design competition for the New JTA Bus shelters.  Let's get the creative juices flowing and really get the community involved in a project like this.  It's not just a voice that needs to be heard in City Hall.  People need to see the possibilities too.  And not in the context of another city and what they have done.  But in Jacksonville's own context.  What do you say?

Webini

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 09:35:11 AM »
Ok, why exactly are the civic groups against shelter that would have advertisements?  I don't understand.  ???

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 09:47:12 AM »
They don't want the advertisements or billboards on the side of the bus shelter. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 10:05:20 AM »
Yes, these shelters are badly needed.  And I think MetroJacksonville should sponsor a design competition for the New JTA Bus shelters.  Let's get the creative juices flowing and really get the community involved in a project like this.  It's not just a voice that needs to be heard in City Hall.  People need to see the possibilities too.  And not in the context of another city and what they have done.  But in Jacksonville's own context.  What do you say?

If given a chance (the vote for this is coming up pretty soon), Metro Jacksonville would love to be a player in some sort of a design competition or study to show that with creative solutions, these things can be designed to be quite attractive.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 10:12:53 AM »
two questions stemming from this issue would be, what happens to existing shelters? The new stops put into Springfield dont have any built in sign space. Would we be exempt, or would they try to add signage?

I spoke with Mike Miller about this at the BRT/Commuter rail meeting last week.  From how it was explained to me, not all stations would have these advertisements.  However, the new ones with advertisments would pay for the installation of more (without advertisments) in areas like Springfield that did not want ads placed on them.  In downtown, Miller also mentioned that these shelters could also have long ignored wayfaring signage included that would list various destinations and information on how the trolleys, buses and skyway would connect to them.

Secondly, will there be restrictions for ads? I don't want to see adds for Cigarettes or Colt 45 on our bus stops.

Yes, there would be restrictions.  We (either JTA or the city, I'm not sure which entity) would have control over the type of ads and their design, that would be displayed.  I know some in our community may view these as visual blight, but this seems to be a logical and affordable solution to make our existing transit system more end user friendly.  Given the current state of our budget, we really need to dig deep and find away to make this work, before outright tossing out the middle finger.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 10:20:58 AM by thelakelander »

Owen Holmes

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 12:13:36 PM »
There's additional info, including answers to some of the questions above, here.

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 01:14:17 PM »

If given a chance (the vote for this is coming up pretty soon), Metro Jacksonville would love to be a player in some sort of a design competition or study to show that with creative solutions, these things can be designed to be quite attractive.

I'll throw in some 3D images of some different ideas.  Anyone care to share their sketches either in the open forums or via PM? 

archiphreak

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 01:45:05 PM »
Jason,
    Ill sketch some things out tonight and try to post them tomorrow evening.

big ben

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 01:58:26 PM »
any idea if they'd all be the same design, or if they'd be flexible for different neighborhoods.  something that fits in downtown might not fit in on a corner in riverside, springfield, or the southside, etc. 

from what i've seen of these in other places, the advertisements are the last thing i notice.  it's not like you go to a baseball game, or a football game and complain about the advertisements on the walls by the field or by the scoreboard and those advertisements are a lot more blatant than any bus shelter advertisement. 

archiphreak

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 02:14:04 PM »
Hopefully the shelter's would be unique to each neighborhood.  That is the ideal scenario.  But a few designs could be chosen for mass production out of a host of entrants.  That is what was done in Paris for the Metropolitan entrances.  Done by Goudi, I believe.  He did several designs, all unique, and they make for very interesting installations.  The hope would be to do the same with Jacksonville.  Perhaps even to assign individual spots that would house a winning shelter design.  If any one at MetroJax wants help in setting up a competition for this let me know.  I'll be glad to help, as long as that won't preclude me from entering myself.  ;-)

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 03:01:33 PM »
Jason,
    Ill sketch some things out tonight and try to post them tomorrow evening.

Sounds great.  I'll work on some of my own as well.

any idea if they'd all be the same design, or if they'd be flexible for different neighborhoods.  something that fits in downtown might not fit in on a corner in riverside, springfield, or the southside, etc. 

from what i've seen of these in other places, the advertisements are the last thing i notice.  it's not like you go to a baseball game, or a football game and complain about the advertisements on the walls by the field or by the scoreboard and those advertisements are a lot more blatant than any bus shelter advertisement.   

I wouldn't mind seeing 5 or so designs that could be reproduced in the areas they fit.  For example, one design for each historic district (Riverside, San Marco, Springfield,) and then one suburban design and one for downtown.  That way things could be streamlined and help to keep costs lower.

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 03:39:18 PM »
Here is a quick view of what I would designate as a standard suburban bus stop.  Its very similar to the ones along Baymeadows.  Simple, cheap, and have ample room for advertisments, wayfinding signage, and bus routes.