Author Topic: Rethinking Regency Mall  (Read 26299 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Rethinking Regency Mall
« on: February 12, 2010, 06:00:46 AM »
Rethinking Regency Mall

With Regency Mall's owners now contemplating demolishing the struggling shopping center's west wing, it's time to take a closer look at "Rethinking Regency" and the surrounding area.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-feb-rethinking-regency-mall

ac

Re: Rethinking Regency Mall
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 08:57:10 AM »
Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but it appears they're advocating the bulldozing of everything there (Mall, office buildings, existing retail, Theater, apartments) and rebuilding.  How is that even feasible?  

I could get behind the razing of the mall, but the BofA and Crowley buildings, Home Depot and Target, etc., etc.; not to mention temporarily displacing the residents of a number of existing apartment complexes in the area?  Why not come up with designs that incorporate and enhance what already exists?  The entire area simply cannot be reduced to a blank canvas and rebuilt in the manner laid out above.

It looks great on paper, though.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:05:00 AM by ac »

hightowerlover

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:19:35 AM »
well lets just go bulldoze it all like we did downtown and then wonder why we did it because it never got rebuilt because no one could or would get financing to rebuild it. 

tufsu1

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 10:36:04 AM »
In a Vision, you don't usually confine ideas with things like right of way, existing buildings, etc....no boundaries!

duvaldude08

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 10:58:46 AM »
I think were all jumping the gun here. Its just a "vision". The only thing they will be "demolishing" would be the west wing of the mall.
Jaguars 2.0

Cliffs_Daughter

• Don't make me come down there and smack someone.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:07:06 AM »
If you ask me, the west wing demolition couldn't come soon enough. Right now the best thing that side of the mall has to offer is when a carnival sets up in the parking lot.

The overall vision for the area is very nice. Very ambitious, but nice.
Heather  @Tiki_Proxima

Ignorantia legis non excusat.

vicupstate

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 11:26:06 AM »
I agree that this is 'Vision', but at some point, vision has to be matched with reality, otherwise it is just an exercise in fantasy architecture.  I would assume these consultants will be doing that.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

duvaldude08

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:30:02 AM »
I agree that this is 'Vision', but at some point, vision has to be matched with reality, otherwise it is just an exercise in fantasy architecture.  I would assume these consultants will be doing that.   

I agree. Im sure everything that is existing will be incoporated when all is said and done.
Jaguars 2.0

Shwaz

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 11:34:36 AM »
As long as the Dillard's clearance center is safe.... I like it.
And though I long to embrace, I will not replace my priorities: humour, opinion, a sense of compassion, creativity and a distaste for fashion.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 11:36:57 AM »

From a walkability standpoint, the transit "hubs" should be located in the center of the complex. The idea of having it on the edge is a direct product of our autocentric thinking.

Southside Bl at Arlington Expressway is no doubt the number one traffic junction, but Atlantic Boulevard at Arlington Expressway is the walkable center.

So WHAT transit choices? Walk or don't walk? Seems to me the best first phase for a Jacksonville "Interurban" Light Rail Line.

OCKLAWAHA

rjp2008

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
That whole area is a mess and reminds me of the lesser parts of NJ. If only there was a way to properly re-do the whole thing I'd be for it.

TheProfessor

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 12:29:52 PM »
This charette appears to just bulldoze everything. Pictures looks nice bu this is not functional.  Regency mall needs to be updated, but GGP, the owner, is bankrupt.  Kendall Town Center has some better bones, perhaps they could mimic that or Tapestry park in the redesign process of the the Mall's exterior.  The nice sign of growth is the new Publix and Marriott they built in Arlington.  The bad thing is that people do not like going to this mall when St. Johns Town Center is right up the street, but the neighborhood is still alive!

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 12:31:07 PM »
I certainly give this vision my stamp of approval.  :)  and Ock, the transportation hubs are at the end of the rebuilt pedestrian corridor. They do not have to the centerpiece as a courtyard/fountain etc could be.  I think they are positioned very well and this vision actually looks very well thought out.  Remember the transportation options have to compromise with what infrastructure is already laid out and what building layout makes the most sense, and unless we build underground we cannot just plop these stations wherever we willy nilly want; their locations have to compromise with existing ROW and infrastructure and the planning of physical structures.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 01:24:02 PM »
I'm looking at it from a railroad planner standpoint. Having once lived at Regency Lakes Apartments, and used JTA to and from my job as a Trailways supervisor, I have more then a passing interest in this. I love the plan overall, let's do it, get to work even! But, the old Mall is a LONG walk on a 98 degree summer day, or today for that matter. End to end it's over a mile of traffic dodging, horn honking, light watching fun. By piercing the heart of the zone, no one walks more then 1/2 of that distance. Add several hundred riders per day. Having a local looper round the Regency Shopping district, then Town Center, every 10 minutes all day 10:00 am - 10:00 pm and every half hour until the theaters close, might do the trick too. I would envision an articulated, low floor, serving only scheduled stops with ticket vending machines. NO FARE COLLECTION ON BOARD, NO EXTRA STOPS!

Light rail could come over a new Matthews bridge/tunnel but it should be built heavy enough to allow freight movement during the night. This would not only subsidize operations, it would make warehousing and clean industrial competitive in zones all the way to Mayport, where the line could no doubt serve DOD purposes.

OCKLAWAHA

stjr

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 06:21:50 PM »
Well, at some point, if the current buildings can't bring in enough rent to upgrade or even maintain them, it may be possible to demolish many or all of them to unlock the land value if that is great enough.

In OP, during the boom, they tore down an entire 5 to 10 year old apartment complex near OP mall to redevelop it with a Home Depot shopping center.  In Mandarin, they tore down an approximately 10 year old strip of stores adjacent to Albertsons (now Publix) at I-295 and San Jose to build a Target.

On the other hand, they mostly rehabbed substantially, rather than demolish, Phillips Mall.

Roosevelt Mall is a hybrid, part rehab, part demolition replaced by new construction.

In the end, it just depends on the economics of the situation.  Half of Regency is now 40 years old, another 1/2 is almost 30 years.  Maybe, for their purposes, the buildings have achieved enough of their useful lives to be replaced.  Only the land owner knows for sure at this point.  But, nothing should be ruled out.  The biggest nut today would be getting financing for something like this.  Right now, no matter how good the project, that may be next to impossible.

The surrounding centers off of Atlantic and Arlington Expressways may be harder to add in, being they have many different property owners.

It is hard for me to tell from the drawings, but I think creating an overpass of Southside Blvd. over Atlantic Blvd. and removing the grade level intersection at Monument and Atlantic should be looked at.  There is just too much mixing of through traffic with local/neighborhood traffic in the Regency Square area making no one happy.  More separation would help both and may make it easier to accommodate rail transit corridors through the area.

Some kind of tax incentive improvement district may also serve as a catalyst if this is a priority project.
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!