Author Topic: Are we Enforcing our Design Guidelines?  (Read 1839 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Are we Enforcing our Design Guidelines?
« on: July 31, 2007, 04:30:00 AM »
Are we Enforcing our Design Guidelines?

After looking at the latest renderings approved by the Downtown Design Review Committee, one must ask if the people on the committee fully comprehend the Downtown Master Plan.  The rendering above is the design for the the duPont Testamentary Trust building, which will be on Forest St between the Riverwalk and EverBank.  Frankly, it looks like something that should be on Gate Parkway.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/503

jbm32206

Re: Are we Enforcing our Design Guidelines?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 09:21:37 AM »
Although it doesn't look like a building you'd see in any major city's downtown, I have to say it does look nice...but agree that it just doesn't fit a downtown setting.

tufsu1

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 09:25:14 AM »
I have a better idea for Winn Dixie....since they only had $3 million and that would never have paid for the urban store you all are looking for......perhaps the money would be better spent on a store in the suburbs....surely that would help downtown more!

alohameisha

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 09:36:39 AM »
I am interested to see how that Dupont bulding unfolds. It will be a weird contrast to the Everbank building. It will be mostly hidden from the street by the Everbank building. I just hope they don't close off access to the Riverwalk. I am working in the Everbank building (which really only occupies 2 of the thirteen floors) and they have the construction zone fenced so you must walk over to the St. Joe or the main Fidelity Building to access the Riverwalk. I hope whatever they construct it will have a nice path and outdoor tables to the Riverwalk. I'll keep a birds eye view and take some pics once is something going on in the dirt over there.  ???

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 09:42:06 AM »
tufsu1 has a point, regarding the Winn-Dixie store.  $3 million doesn't stretch that far.  However, it would be interesting to know the stage these plans are in when they come up before the DRC.  From looking at many of the renderings posted in this article, it appears these projects are well into CDs when they are being presented.  Something as simple as possibly laying out the new deli expansion area to potentially partially face the sidewalk/with outdoor cafe-style seating can be difficult to achieve when the plans are already drawn up and ready to go in for permitting.  

In essence, the DRC's hands may be tied by evaluating projects too late in the design process.  Imo, something that may help the situation would be having Architects/applicants bring their concepts in for review during the beginning of the Design Development stage, as well as the city being a little more strict with the zoning overlay.  If people know they can't get away so easy with variances, from the beginning, they would be more inclined to design according to the zoning overlay's standards.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 09:46:20 AM »
I am interested to see how that Dupont bulding unfolds. It will be a weird contrast to the Everbank building. It will be mostly hidden from the street by the Everbank building. I just hope they don't close off access to the Riverwalk. I am working in the Everbank building (which really only occupies 2 of the thirteen floors) and they have the construction zone fenced so you must walk over to the St. Joe or the main Fidelity Building to access the Riverwalk. I hope whatever they construct it will have a nice path and outdoor tables to the Riverwalk. I'll keep a birds eye view and take some pics once is something going on in the dirt over there.  ???

There will be a sidewalk going down to the riverwalk, but it's only about 5 to 10 feet wide.  There won't be any outdoor tables, etc.  Those things will be located in Everbank's pocket park (at the corner of Forest & Riverside).
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali