Author Topic: The Jaguars - NFL Relocations and the LA Stadium Plan  (Read 13084 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The Jaguars - NFL Relocations and the LA Stadium Plan
« on: January 29, 2010, 04:11:42 AM »
The Jaguars - NFL Relocations and the LA Stadium Plan

It's one of the most talked about topics at the water cooler - the Jaguars - and their ticket sales woes. Up to this point, the Jaguars have yet to even be close to selling out any of their home games, and most likely will not for the rest of the year. It seems every national media outlet has had at least one writer take a shot at Jacksonville for the lack of ticket sales. Today, Metro Jacksonville continues its seven part series discussing the Jaguars and the Jacksonville Market, and how they compare to other NFL cities.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-jan-the-jaguars-nfl-relocations-and-the-la-stadium-plan

jandar

Re: The Jaguars - NFL Relocations and the LA Stadium Plan
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 07:49:42 AM »
Man, I feel like I repeat myself on every forum post online about the Jags moving to LA.
But here it is again.

==================
In 2002, the Jaguars and the City of Jacksonville extended the stadium lease to 2030.

There is a performance clause written into that lease that states that ALL home games be played in the stadium until 2030. This prevents Jacksonville from losing a home game to go play in London. If/when they do go, it will be as a visitor.

For the Jaguars (regardless of ownership) to break that lease requires:

1. The NFL to change its written policy for a team to break a stadium lease to move to a new city.

2. The Jags would have to open their books and prove to the city that they lost money for three straight years. (good luck with that, the NFLPA would have a field day knowing what an org makes/loses)

3. Pay back the City of Jacksonville the remainder of the lease agreement (around 50 million) in one lump check immediately upon termination of the lease.

4. Reimburse the city for lost parking revenue, ticket surcharges, and other things. This could total 200 million as well.

Wayne Weaver wrote that lease with the city in order to keep the Jaguars there. It was his idea to include the clauses for breaking the lease.

They can only get out of the money if they have a local judge say that the stadium has poor maintenance. (not likely, it just had a 33 million dollar update to get the SuperBowl a few years back)

If Wayne Weaver were to sell the team, (worth around 800 million, the new owner could move them, after paying another 250+ million in fees and broken contracts. Then spend what, another billion or so on a new stadium?

copperfiend

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:21:34 AM »
It's one of the most talked about topics at the water cooler - the Jaguars - and their ticket sales woes. Up to this point, the Jaguars have yet to even be close to selling out any of their home games, and most likely will not for the rest of the year.

You might want to update this part.

mtraininjax

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 09:00:27 AM »
Jandar - Good information, Ask Lake or one of the Admins to put your info at the top of every Jags post for possible move.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Clem1029

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 09:24:17 AM »
It still makes me want to spit bullets what Art *bleeping* Modell did to my Browns, and the city as a whole. The man deserves every single bit of bile that comes his way, and then some. There's not a single Browns fan anywhere that doesn't believe he has a special room in Hell reserved for him.

If the voters are ever dumb enough to put him in the Hall of Fame (which thankfully is becoming less and less likely with each passing year), induction day will be a riot like you've never seen - remember, the HoF is about an hour south of Cleveland, and still in Browns fan territory.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:59:11 AM by Clem1029 »

aaapolito

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 10:57:43 AM »
"All of the teams above have stadium issues except the Bills and Jaguars (the Bills are having revenue issues in a city losing people, and the Jaguars aren’t filling the stadium)."

This assertion regarding the Bills' stadium is not exactly true.  I recently attended a Bills game in Buffalo, NY, and Rich Stadium is a decaying facility.  It is severely out dated.

tufsu1

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 10:58:39 AM »
It still makes me want to spit bullets what Art *bleeping* Modell did to my Browns, and the city as a whole. The man deserves every since bit of bile that comes his way, and then some. There's not a single Browns fan anywhere that doesn't believe he has a special room in Hell reserved for him.

If the voters are ever dumb enough to put him in the Hall of Fame (which thankfully is becoming less and less likely with each passing year), induction day will be a riot like you've never seen - remember, the HoF is about an hour south of Cleveland, and still in Browns fan territory.

the folks in baltimore like him quite a bit though!

Clem1029

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 11:05:44 AM »
the folks in baltimore like him quite a bit though!
Which is why many people tend to shrug off all the hand-wringing that is associated with that "Mayflower truck in the snow" picture posted in the article. ;)

trigger

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 11:05:46 AM »
Just a little background, the Bidwells and the St. Louis Cardinals were driven out of St. Louis. Once the Bidwells/Cardinals left town, it took the St. Louis a brief period to plan, fund and construct the Edward Jones Dome (half the time it took the Arizona Cardinals to build a facility in that AZ) and entice the Rams out of LA. The Cardinals would still be in St. Louis and the Rams would still be in LA if it were not for Bill Bidwell's selfish, 15 year attempt to hold St. Louis hostage for a new stadium.
"Thank you, Mr. Cowboy, I'll take it under advisement."

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 11:45:05 AM »
^Mostly true.  However, St Louis build the Edward Jones Dome thinking that they would be a shoe-in for the expansion team, but were denied.  The Rams thing only happened because LA couldn't put together a stadium plan.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 11:46:53 AM »
This assertion regarding the Bills' stadium is not exactly true.  I recently attended a Bills game in Buffalo, NY, and Rich Stadium is a decaying facility.  It is severely out dated.

Yes, but the stadium is not their largest concern.  The biggest issue is the population loss.  Even if you built a state of the art facility with all the bells and whistles, you need people to spend money at those places.  With the loss of companies and population, there is less of a draw for that each year.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 11:53:08 AM »
1. The NFL to change its written policy for a team to break a stadium lease to move to a new city.

2. The Jags would have to open their books and prove to the city that they lost money for three straight years. (good luck with that, the NFLPA would have a field day knowing what an org makes/loses)

3. Pay back the City of Jacksonville the remainder of the lease agreement (around 50 million) in one lump check immediately upon termination of the lease.

4. Reimburse the city for lost parking revenue, ticket surcharges, and other things. This could total 200 million as well.

Here's my thought:

Point 1 - Not hard to do, espeically if that relocation is surrounding LA and the TV contracts.

Point 2 - If they have 2 more years like this past year, it may be worth it to open the books.

Point 3 - Agreed, this might be tough, but it's around 50 million today.  It goes down each year.  It may become worth it if we have some more years like last year.

Point 4 - Again, this goes down over time.

Wayne Weaver wrote that lease with the city in order to keep the Jaguars there. It was his idea to include the clauses for breaking the lease.

They can only get out of the money if they have a local judge say that the stadium has poor maintenance. (not likely, it just had a 33 million dollar update to get the SuperBowl a few years back)

If Wayne Weaver were to sell the team, (worth around 800 million, the new owner could move them, after paying another 250+ million in fees and broken contracts. Then spend what, another billion or so on a new stadium?

Keep this in mind - I believe Wayne Weaver completely when he says he doesn't want to move the team.  My concern is that he will be 75 this year, and Ed Roski seems to have a decent plan for an LA stadium.  While it would be expensive, so is losing millions each year.

jeh1980

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 01:44:55 PM »
The Jaguars are not, I repeat, NOT going anywhere anytime soon!

Basstacular

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 02:04:54 PM »
Not sure if anyone has seen the update on Jaguars.com about tickets, but things are looking much better.  In the previous two years the jaguars sold 13 new season tickets and 0 new season tickets in Jan.  Compare that to the 1300 season tickets sold this Jan. with the hopes of reaching 2000 and it seems the community is rallying.  Of course, the big test will be the renewal rate of previous season ticket holders, but I am plenty optimistic with news like this.

And just to add my personal situation, I will be sitting in a block in section #205 with 13 other friends, six of us were renewals and the other 8 are friends who either once had season tickets and renewed or are new season ticket holders.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=8695

Also, like their idea of keeping a constant update on our ticket stauts, kind of like a counter I hope.  Anyways, just felt like passing along some good news to other Jag fans.

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 02:07:56 PM »
So three teams - the Chargers, Raiders and Rams - all moved to LA, couldn't take LA-LA-Land, and moved out again.  LOL