Author Topic: Lost Jacksonville: Union Terminal  (Read 22726 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Lost Jacksonville: Union Terminal
« on: January 08, 2010, 06:20:02 AM »
Lost Jacksonville: Union Terminal

While the building may still be in use as a convention center, the sights, sounds, scenes and activities from its days as the South's largest rail terminal are long gone. Today, Metro Jacksonville shares images from an vibrant era that no longer exists.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-jan-lost-jacksonville-union-terminal

CS Foltz

Re: Lost Jacksonville: Union Terminal
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 06:57:54 AM »
Hear.....Hear! I agree, it should go back to what it was..........A TRAIN STATION! Build a new Convention in an area that could use it.............like the Ship Yards! We own the property, so it would just be a question of getting something designed to do the job. Sell Bonds to fund the thing and lets do it!

aaapolito

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 07:17:59 AM »
It's such a beautiful building.  No one can really build like that anymore.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 07:42:21 AM »
The conversion from Convention center to train station should begin as soon as possible.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

James

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 07:56:34 AM »
Looks like a beautiful building, is it just the location that prevents it from being better utilized?  Seems like its got all the bells and whistles...

hightowerlover

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 09:41:05 AM »
all those old pictures with everyone wearing a hat makes me wonder why hats fell out of fashion

Lucasjj

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 09:55:11 AM »
The story I have always heard is when JFK was inaugurated he did not wear a hat, and that made hats optional. Eventually people just discarded them as a formal item.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
Klutho strongly disliked the way the terminal was designed.  He had proposed an alternate setup whereby the terminal would be elevated above street level and the tracks, to separate foot traffic from road traffic.  The elevated setup also would have allowed passengers to exit the terminal with a direct view of downtown Jacksonville rather than walking directly into a less attractive vista of warehouses.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:45:57 AM »
Ock claims that Klutho's alternative design would have been a logistical nightmare.  I'm sure he'll explain when he gets the chance.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JaxNative68

• Be obscure clearly
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »
I remember taking a train from there as a very young child and being awe struck with the building.  To see the concourse bastardized for the connection of the convention center to the main waiting room/front entry sickened me.  Not that it couldn't be restored, but it would make the restoration more expensive and tedious.

Maybe the addition of a progressively designed train shed and passenger loading zones could be the answer.  The dichotomy could be very interesting.

CS Foltz

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 11:15:57 AM »
Gentlemen..........boy oh boy do I ever agree! Thank the GOB Network for bolluxing things up. From what I have been told............two factions of the GOB Network duked it out over the conversion, only thing that came out of it was what we have now............neither one or the other! Make the Prime a train station and build a Convention Center more oriented to what hotels we have downtown!

Overstreet

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 11:18:55 AM »
You know that's all nice. But I was there recently in tux for an annual event. I was at a gun show there a little longer ago. A boat show a little longer than that.  But it was seven or eight years ago when any of my relatives took the train to Jacksonville.  Then a youngster she was  filling a square to say she'd done it. She has driven a car here ever since.

Y'all just wishing for this or is the current train depot over used?

CS Foltz

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 11:39:23 AM »
Overstreet...........current "Amshack" is small and out of the way! Any train station needs to be in a location that everyone can get to, accessable for all and something that stands out from the rest of bldgs! Not asking for the moon, but Union Station was the one when rail ruled and it has not been that long ago! All most people are asking for is......the Prime for what it was designed to be used for not some half baked idea of a Convention Center that is not used year round and is supposed to be a calling card for more Conventions! If we had something that was designed from the ground for just that purpose, it would make our City the one to have that kind of gala event at............right now, even Daytona Beach has more pull plus more area for use! You can't make a chicken into a racing pigion!

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »
Gentlemen..........boy oh boy do I ever agree! Thank the GOB Network for bolluxing things up. From what I have been told............two factions of the GOB Network duked it out over the conversion, only thing that came out of it was what we have now............neither one or the other! Make the Prime a train station and build a Convention Center more oriented to what hotels we have downtown!

According to Jim Crooks' book on the post-consolidation history of Jacksonville, the initial plan was for a convention center on the former Sears store site, near AT&T, Wachovia, and the Omni.  The theory, of course, being clustering and maximum impact for the rest of downtown.  The Landing was at least a twinkle in the eyes of the Godbold administration, though plans were not announced yet, and obviously would have been nearby; the Robert Meyer was still open as a Holiday Inn, and Preston Haskell supported the centralized convention center; so did the managers of the remaining department stores.

There was some concern that the site was too small, but then came the big push to save the train station.  The DDA split on the issue and so did the city council.  Godbold advocated the current site out of sentimentality for the station and the expectation that the business district would expand westward.  He tried to assuage those who were most passionate about the central site with his support for the Florida Theatre, obtaining a festival marketplace, Metropolitan Park development, etc., not that I doubt Godbold would have supported those things anyway.

Upon selection of the current site, I understand there was a mass resignation from the DDA in protest, and Crooks states that it was the absolute death knell for the Robert Meyer/Holiday Inn, as well as the beginning of the end for May Cohen's.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

tufsu1

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 11:50:24 AM »

that darn GOB network...without them, it would never have been converted....instead it would likely have been torn down!