Author Topic: Is Springfield Ready for a Car Wash?  (Read 78299 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Is Springfield Ready for a Car Wash?
« on: January 06, 2010, 06:20:42 AM »
Is Springfield Ready for a Car Wash?

Can a car wash be a part of an urban revitalization plan? After heated opposition and misinformation dominating discussion about the 4th & Main project, owner Silas Jones has modified development plans to better integrate the project within the community. Can common ground be found that will finally lead to project approval and new life along the Main Street corridor?

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-jan-is-springfield-ready-for-a-car-wash

sheclown

Re: Is Springfield Ready for a Car Wash?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:32:51 AM »
Good work MJ.  You've contributed in a very positive, measurable way to a emotion-filled crazy debate.  Let's hope that businesses will be encouraged to open on Main Street, supported by the neighborhood and the city, and economic growth and diversity of services will result in a more vibrant community.

Contentdesign group has done a fabulous job. 

vicupstate

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:43:45 AM »
Other than noise, what is the community's issue with it?

The nise would be during normal work hours when most people are not home and is not that substantial to begin with.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Dan B

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 08:18:52 AM »
I believe that the noise was measured, and found to be negligible.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 08:52:31 AM »
Other than noise, what is the community's issue with it?

The noise would be during normal work hours when most people are not home and is not that substantial to begin with.

There was a fear that it might add too much traffic to 4th Street, bring a criminal element into the area and that its a use (automobile related) that some in the hood simply don't want.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Overstreet

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 08:52:36 AM »
Most of the noise of the machines is contained in the building. I don't really think this will be an issue.

Judging by other car wash stores their fears it will become another convienence store is groundless. It will provide some jobs in the area and provide a service. They can limit the chairs and tables in the outside seating area to a few benches and limit the hanging around loitering.

It also provides a number of  jobs.

By the way, there is a similar car wash in the Midtown section of Atlanta.

Dan B

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 09:19:09 AM »
I disagree with limiting seating. I think seating needs to be an important part of this. Maybe have the store work out a deal with City Kidz, Uptown market, Or even Three Layers to carry some limited, pre-packaged lunch items. A win win for all involved. Wouldn't it be cool if Three Layers would sell a themos of coffee for this store, or had those great tuna and croissant sammiches available in the store?

I think adding pedestrian elements can only help this plan. Im glad that Design Content added some nice looking seating.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 09:32:55 AM »
What is S.p.a.r.'s current position on this matter? Are will they be waiting again for a better moment to ambush the project before making it known?
Lenny Smash

tpot

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 10:14:29 AM »
Here is where I get confused.  According to the letter written by Mr Jones, he has already spent almost $700K on the property and it is still an eyesore....................

So the renderings of what the building could look like are fantastic but are they realisitc when you look at the money that has been spent and what the proerty currently looks like.  My fear would be that we have a business operating in that area that doesn't look much different than it does today, and allot of people loitering in the area.

cindi

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 10:26:49 AM »

and that its a use (automobile related) that some in the hood simply don't want.
was springfield suddenly overtaken by the amish? there is a jeep repair place across the street and no one seems to worry about that automobile related use. 
my soul was removed to make room for all of this sarcasm

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 10:34:56 AM »
Jacksonville.com has a related article out today about SPAR's relationship with current and prospective business owners in Springfield.

Work on Jacksonville's Main Street almost done, but some merchants feel unwelcome
Thrift store and pawn shop owners say project supporters want them gone

Road construction on Main Street in Jacksonville's Springfield neighborhood is almost done, and businesses like Team Recovery's Thrift Store are thankful.

"While the construction was occurring, it got pretty bad for us," store manager Tom McPhillips said. "It was dusty so we couldn't leave the front door open and it was also noisy."

As McPhillips spoke, the view from outside the window on the 1700 block of North Main showed a four-lane street with a tree-filled median with antique-style streetlights. City officials say all that's left to do on the $14 million project that began in November 2007 is to install brick crosswalks. That will be done by next month.

The construction is part of an effort to revitalize the eight-block neighborhood and with it attract new, upscale business. And that has thrift stores like Team Recovery and pawn shops like Money Tree Jewelry and Pawn hoping to succeed.

But they also feel that the people who pushed for the revitalization - mainly, the Springfield Preservation and Revitalization Council, a residents group that has worked with the city - don't really want them around.

"My view is that a rising tide lifts all boats, but SPAR doesn't seem to want us here," McPhillips said.

Full article:
http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2010-01-06/story/work_on_jacksonvilles_main_street_almost_done_but_some_merchants_feel_un

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 10:45:46 AM »

and that its a use (automobile related) that some in the hood simply don't want.
was springfield suddenly overtaken by the amish? there is a jeep repair place across the street and no one seems to worry about that automobile related use. 

Good point.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 10:49:05 AM »
Here is where I get confused.  According to the letter written by Mr Jones, he has already spent almost $700K on the property and it is still an eyesore....................

So the renderings of what the building could look like are fantastic but are they realisitc when you look at the money that has been spent and what the proerty currently looks like.  My fear would be that we have a business operating in that area that doesn't look much different than it does today, and allot of people loitering in the area.

To go either way on this point, one would have to have some knowledge of how much it would cost to open such a business.  I don't know for sure on this one, but in many cases opening a business could easily be over a million depending on what it is.  From this standpoint and since it has nothing to do with gaining a zoning exception, I don't know if its right for us novices to base a land use approval decision on guessing what's the right amount of money to spend on a business most of us have no clue about.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:50:46 AM by thelakelander »

cline

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 10:56:44 AM »

The car wash would probably have a higher trip generation rate so it would be considered more automobile intensive than the Jeep place.

cindi

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 11:12:26 AM »
so, all those people that the "upscale" store owners are going to attract are going to get here from riverside/san marco/arlington/southside via teleport? a nice stroll across the mathews bridge perhaps? maybe during the football off season those guys with the bike taxis can contract to springfield.
my soul was removed to make room for all of this sarcasm