Author Topic: City Hall Annex Renderings  (Read 2888 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
City Hall Annex Renderings
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:38:30 AM »
City Hall Annex Renderings

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/507

archiphreak

Re: City Hall Annex Renderings
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 11:30:27 AM »
I helped draw that plan.  There was originally planned retail at the north west corner of the building.  The city decided that they didn't need retail space and it would be a waste of money to include it.  They opted instead to leave the space and shell for some future as-yet-undetermined function (not retail).  It is a shame too.  It really is a magnificent building when you get into the structure.  Unfortunately the city cares so little about anything other than their own wallets, returning the 407 Building to her original, historic state is extremely difficult.  But KBJ did manage to pull it off.  So, kudos to them.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 11:43:06 AM »
So what are the plans for the old Annex now?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:46:45 AM »
I helped draw that plan.  There was originally planned retail at the north west corner of the building.  The city decided that they didn't need retail space and it would be a waste of money to include it.

That's too bad, considering the space doesn't even have to be retail.  It just needs to be something that complements downtown's main public square and its surroundings by contributing to that environment on a seven-day-a-week basis.  It makes you wonder how the city routinely ignores it's own downtown master plan and zoning overlay, yet expects the private sector to follow them.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 11:50:36 AM »
Hemming Plaza is going to be a hopping place at 6:00! 

copperfiend

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 11:53:21 AM »
Why do they do it? Because they are hypocrites. They have no vision. They don't care about listening to the public.

hightowerlover

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 11:57:18 AM »
I like how that one rendering already shows a homeless man leaning on the side of the building.

Bruin Brain

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 02:51:57 PM »
So, does City Hall not understand why they were no longer wanted on the river? Because being on the city's main central, historic, public square is about as wonderful. And they don't seem to have a clue.

I think the St. James Building is the sleeping giant of downtown, regarding potential reuse. If I had 1 wish for downtown, it would be for that building to once again house a department store and streetfront retail. People got it back then, as far as what would enhance a public square, rather than what would look good out your office window. Imagine what that would do for Jacksonville, now? Imagine if that had been the focus before requiring every new little parking garage scattered around to have retail space that won't sell. Look at what the building was built for, its beauty, its location. There's your retail space. Or, there it could have been.

:-\

Well, at least these buildings are still standing. I should be happy about that,

but...

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
You can thank Jack Diamond for that one.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 06:20:57 PM »
Did anyone in the "Great Consolidated City-County" of Jacksonville, ever give any thought to building the City Hall and Courthouse in one facility? I could imagine lot's of ways to do it, single entry, double entry, high-rise, double faced, the list just goes on and on... Why scatter the Nations leading consolidation government all over downtown?  

Ocklawaha

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 06:24:37 PM »
Imposing laws and regulations on individuals and businesses and exempting government from those laws and regulations has been standard operating procedure for government at all levels for a long time.  An example is the Government in the Sunshine law the state legislature imposed on local governments and exempted itself from.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 10:38:25 PM »
Again Damn shame we don't look backwards to run forward! We once had a beautiful City hall and courthouse... Why not again? Bigger and better?

Ocklawaha

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 10:43:33 PM »
We HAD a beautiful courthouse too... Wouldn't this make a cool "super-sized reconstruction?"

Ocklawaha

hightowerlover

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 10:50:12 AM »
i think we rally for the city to revive some of these historic structures designs and styles.  perhaps these buildings were too small for today's Jacksonville government, but just making a few additional floors should do the trick.

why not revitalize some of the former glory we've ripped out?