Author Topic: Big Talbot Island State Park  (Read 4051 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Big Talbot Island State Park
« on: December 28, 2009, 06:23:42 AM »
Big Talbot Island State Park

Located on one of Northeast Florida's unique sea islands, Big Talbot Island State Park is primarily a natural preserve providing a premier location for nature study, bird-watching, and photography.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-dec-big-talbot-island-state-park

alta

Re: Big Talbot Island State Park
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 07:24:06 AM »
Hidden Gem In NE Florida.

rvrsdediva

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:49:24 AM »
I love this place, great photos!

reednavy

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 10:36:19 AM »
Great photos, except for the last one, could've done w/o the spider.
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

billy

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 11:04:56 AM »
Great story. Treasure of a place.
(are photos actually Little Talbot?)

JaxNative68

• Be obscure clearly
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 11:31:34 AM »
no need for words, the pictures say it all.

Overstreet

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 02:27:31 PM »
"(are photos actually Little Talbot?)"

Photos appear to be of the shore line of that section between the A1A bridge over the Nassau river and Simpson Creek. If so it is within the Big Talbot Is SP area.

JaxNative68

• Be obscure clearly
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 05:11:44 PM »
a great area for kayak fishing

floridaforester

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 07:52:15 PM »
Great photos, except for the last one, could've done w/o the spider.

the golden orb weaver is an integral part of natural Florida.  If you've ever been swarmed by deer flies, you would appreciate their perfectly placed webs that catch flies buzzing your head as you duck underneath.  Great photos!  Black rock beach (live oak graveyard) is probably one of the most photographed stretch of beach in all of Florida.

north miami

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 08:51:34 PM »

I recall the effort---battle---in reserving Talbot/Ft.George from "development".(There is still a small private parcel along AIA at the north tip-two years ago the owner acted as if he would pursue development plans-an opening to World War III......)

Great beach fat tire bike ride from the southern tip parking lots on up to the north end.Compact "remote",then head back to town via the ferry across river and on to Ragtimes for a Brick or three-some of my finest days afield.

Note too the nearby sandbar islands in Nassau Sound on the Talbot side........easily accessed via kayak-put in at the public boat ramp on the Park north tip.Not so daunting as it may seem-particularly if you match your kayak run out and back to the tides.Be mindful of the danger of a spill in an outgoing tide on the ocean side of the bars-you are on your way to the Gulfstream.

Dog Walker

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 08:41:57 AM »
Both the Talbots were going to be just like Amelia Island.  Thankfully, pressured by various groups including the Duval Audubon Society, the State bought them and now we have a real jewel of a wild area.  Duval Audubon was also the lead group that pushed the purchase of Guana State Park lands as well.
When all else fails hug the dog.

Overstreet

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 08:46:42 AM »
.............Great beach fat tire bike ride from the southern tip parking lots on up to the north end.Compact "remote",then head back to town via the ferry across river and on to Ragtimes for a Brick or three-some of my finest days afield............

Technically you are speaking of Little Talbot SP area.

north miami

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 12:36:41 AM »
Talbot was a signaure "Audubon" effort- special thanks to Lenore McCullaugh-I think of her every time I am on Talbot & environs.

Guana "State Park"...and the larger "Wildlife Management Area"-Thanks goes 100% to the Florida Wildlife Federation for it's Conservation and Recreation Lands state lands purchase program and the first ever for NE Fla CARL Guana project.  I know,I was there during CARL passage in the Legislature and the subsequent call for Northeast Florida purchases.

Senator Joe Carlucci not helpful,likely because of locking political horns with equally powerful FWF leadership and the perceived threat to development.CARL was in response to the challenge:"If you tell me what to do with my land....Buy It!"...and that is what we done did.

FWF John Jones negotiated hard for the Guana beach front section too.Anyone else and we would have ended up with less.As it was a negotiated lease to the Boy Scouts caused an uproar.The sellers met their match with John Jones.Seller:Gate/Peyton.

Remeber too Ft.George island- a comfy Federation and Audubon effort.Thanks too to our own Jacksonville FWF Steve O'Hara.  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:47:43 PM by north miami »

billy

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 02:04:29 PM »
They are building a water taxi stop next to the bridge at Ft George inlet.....

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 02:07:22 PM »
That's been in the works for awhile Billy.  It will offer service to the Kingsley Plantation area and I believe Mayport if memory serves.