Author Topic: Elements of Urbanism: Buckhead & Midtown Atlanta  (Read 8922 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Elements of Urbanism: Buckhead & Midtown Atlanta
« on: December 24, 2009, 06:00:56 AM »
Elements of Urbanism: Buckhead & Midtown Atlanta

Midtown Atlanta is the second largest financial district in the city of Atlanta, situated between the commercial and financial district of Downtown to the south and the affluent residential and commercial district of Buckhead to the north.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-dec-elements-of-urbanism-buckhead-midtown-atlanta

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
Re: Elements of Urbanism: Buckhead & Midtown Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 09:04:11 AM »
Oh look!  Covered bus shelters, entrenched and mostly-logical mass-transit system, loads of high-rises and 'scrapers, huge convention center!  I have absolutely *no* idea what Jax can be "learning from" Atlanta! ::)

But seriously, great article and great shots.  Well done as always!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

Rocshaboc

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:34:25 AM »
Will a new mayor make a difference for Jax? Pardon any ignorance.

BigBlackRod

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 10:34:49 AM »
Jacksonville has GOT to get the THREE (3) homeless shelters from off of the main entrance to the downtown area, Union Street! This is no shot against the homeless, but against the city planners...PEACE.

avonjax

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 10:57:36 AM »
BigBlackRod....Agree
But on a negative note, don't you hate all those utility wires? .....everywhere......

mtraininjax

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 12:13:39 PM »
What, no mention of the top-end perimeter? No mention of the Gallaria area? All considered Atlanta, and with their own high rises as well. Charlotte can only dream of getting to the business of Atlanta.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

jeh1980

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 01:30:21 PM »
I'm seeing Jacksonville's future right before my very eyes by looking @ these photos!

tufsu1

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 02:18:17 PM »
What, no mention of the top-end perimeter? No mention of the Gallaria area? All considered Atlanta, and with their own high rises as well. Charlotte can only dream of getting to the business of Atlanta.
probably not since its an article about Midtown and Buckhead!

billy

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 02:24:03 PM »
Midtown gained a phenominal number of residential units during the last boom.
The Carter project in Buckhead has halted construction.
As a Jacksonville native who has lived in Atlanta for decades, I must point out that Atlanta does not have,
a. The Saint Johns
b. The Atlantic

Also, Merry Christmas to all!

Charles Hunter

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 03:36:47 PM »
Pretty ironic, that upscale, big business "Midtown" used to be the "10th Street" area where all the hippies hung out, back in the day.  An area of bars (some featuring women who wore little clothing), head shops, with clothing stores and book shops serving that clientele, and so on.

Anyway, nice looking area.

Overstreet

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 03:40:47 PM »
Atlanta also has water quality issues. Cross connection protection is just now starting to take hold. Jax has been doing it for 25 years.

THey didn't mention the old factory that was converted to city offices. THey had a satilite offices there for building department. They also didn't mention all the flack about the Atlantic station when they were building it. Brownfield in Atlanta isn't so spectactular since it is what they have left. 

I like the Virginia Highlands area better. Although we did go to church in Buckhead.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 03:41:48 PM »
As a Jacksonville native who has lived in Atlanta for decades, I must point out that Atlanta does not have,
a. The Saint Johns
b. The Atlantic

Very true.  We just have to get around to figuring out how to best benefit from these natural assets. To bad we can't import Charlotte or Atlanta's leadership to town for two full terms.  It would be pretty interesting to see what they could due with the Atlantic and St. Johns River in play.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Overstreet

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 03:48:29 PM »
That Target store in Buckhead is two story. It has entrances to the parking garage on both levels. It is connected to the parking garage and shares it with the other stores. Inside there is a special escallator for the shoping carts.

Any body that wants Jacksonville to turn into Atlanta should move to Atlanta.

TD*

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 03:56:38 PM »
Im surprised you didn't get robbed taking the pictures.

Buckhead is a dump

I was robbed there.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 04:00:30 PM by TD* »

reednavy

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 04:02:41 PM »
Just because YOU had a bad experience there doesn't mean it is a dump. You can get robbed anywhere nowadays.
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!