Author Topic: Downtown Winn Dixie Renderings  (Read 4128 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Downtown Winn Dixie Renderings
« on: July 18, 2007, 01:08:24 PM »
Downtown Winn Dixie Renderings

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/505

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
Re: Downtown Winn Dixie Renderings
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 02:06:54 PM »
Definitely a nice facade upgrade!  Also, the police substation should go a long way towards reinstating a sence of security.  Maybe somewhere down the road some site upgrades will be in order to include the addition of a separate retail structure with good street frontage and a nice cafe.

jbm32206

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 03:43:25 PM »
I like the idea of the substation...that's a great place for one!

comncense

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 04:33:24 PM »
That will be nice if/when it ever gets done. However, I really doubt I'd ever shop at Winn Dixie. I'll hold out for the urban grocer opening on Adams or continue driving to 5 Points for Publix.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 05:35:16 PM »
I almost shopped there this weekend, but they have severe shopping cart issues. I got mad and left.

It seems that the locking shopping carts are only preventing paying customers from using them.

tufsu1

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 06:43:54 PM »
Very nice...assuming they get permits, construction is supposed to start in the next month...all the $ has been budgeted.

btw...I shop there at least once a month (since its less than 2 blocks from the house)....a nd I've never had a problem finding a shopping cart

jaxhater

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 06:48:23 PM »
Wow, Winn Dixie is still open.
Isn't that where the employes urinate on the meat.
I thought the goverment shut them down.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 07:35:33 AM »
This will be nice.  I have been giving this store more of my business.  Maybe I will give them even more, once the new store opens.

downtownparks

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 08:40:45 AM »
I'm underwhelmed....

comncense

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 08:48:09 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen a 'clean' Winn Dixie. If I had to rank the grocery stores here is town, Winn Dixie would probably be tied or even below Food Lion.

midnightblackrx

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 09:08:02 AM »
I hear people say they don't go there because it's dirty, but for me it's because of the slow checkout and customer service.  What they need is more staff and a self checkout line. I don't know how many times I've been in there but there is always a line of 5-7 people and only 1 register open.

copperfiend

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 09:55:59 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen a 'clean' Winn Dixie. If I had to rank the grocery stores here is town, Winn Dixie would probably be tied or even below Food Lion.

The Winn Dixie at Baymeadows/9A is the cleanest and best staffed one in Jacksonville. It is also the only one I'll shop at on a regular basis.

jbm32206

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 04:01:02 PM »
I agree, it's more that there's not enough staff running the registers, that I find the most annoying. I can't really say that the store's nasty looking...it used to be, but it's much better since they fixed it up.

GideonGlib

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 05:53:16 AM »
I just hope that when they remodel they begin to carry foods that I eat, and not the high fructose corn syrup containing fare that they seem to stock almost exclusively now. A decent fruit and vegetable section, a real bakery, and a gourmet item or two would be nice. Staff that do their jobs without diva and/or thug attitudes would be a nice addition as well. 

SeaEmBee

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 04:19:47 PM »
This rendering is a step-up from what's there now. Perhaps a new facade and the police substation can be the (positive) tipping point for that section of downtown. Also, I know there are a lot of WD haters out there, but the remodeled WD on Roosevelt (serves die hard Westsiders and some of the gentile in Ortega), looks, smells, and feels a hell of a lot better than it did. The staff was uber friendly, the veggies were fresh, and there was a decent organic foods section, low prices, and darn tasty apple pie in the bakery. I hope the downtown WD sees a similar change. I was amazed.
-SEB