Author Topic: Is Jacksonville Losing Logistically?  (Read 3512 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Is Jacksonville Losing Logistically?
« on: December 09, 2009, 06:02:30 AM »
Is Jacksonville Losing Logistically?

Wake up City, your surface logistics dynasty is falling...

In the year 1960, Jacksonville was still the railroad logistics center of the American southeast. Ten railroad yards and hundreds of miles of sidings attested to our undisputed role as The Gateway City of Florida. At the onset of mergers and the digital age, much of our importance began to fade; trains didn't need to travel from yard to yard anymore.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-dec-is-jacksonville-losing-logistically

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
Re: Is Jacksonville Losing Logistically?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:42:01 AM »
Sounds like the typical American city experience over the last 30 years ignore infrastructure in the name of lower taxes.
Lenny Smash

billy

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 09:07:29 AM »
What would it take to reestablish some of what has been lost?

CS Foltz

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:52:28 AM »
Well with the current Administration, which has no plan, no vision and no leadership...........nothing can be done! It would boil down to the private sector going ahead with whatever Plan they have!

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 04:14:50 PM »
Unintentional (or intentional?) destruction of our rail infrastructure.  Question is, can we reconstruct it or is there a need to reconstruct it?  I would say yes with all of the things going on with JaxPort and downtown; will probably have to be resurrected at some point in the future as commerce which needs rail support comes back.

"HU"

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

buckethead

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »
I'm no expert, by any means, but it occurs to me that not having rail (and excess capacity) at the port is criminal.

CS Foltz

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 06:57:27 PM »
buckethead..........I am like you! I am not an expert by any stretch but this City has suffered for years with ineptitude, no leadership,no vision and no plan! Local GOB Network is just busy taking care of them and theirs and making sure the keep their pockets lines! The various ones who have made the news are just the ones that have been caught! Many more to go for sure!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:28:48 PM »

There are MANY things we can do to not only fix this but spin it in our favor, PORT AUTHORITY? JTA? JAA? CECIL? IMESON? Are you listening? Shall I do another article with the solutions and recovery plan or shall we sit down in some smoke filled room? Either way, your a Daisy if we do, in case you wondered, I'm your Huckleberry...

What thinks our readers?

OCKLAWAHA

buckethead

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 11:02:53 PM »
Having never considered rail as means of transportation for myself until coming here, I'd say it's a pity that folks don't realize that they can get to many places they want to go, cheaper than airfare or gasoline. Amtrak? Isn't that DC/Philly/NYC/Boston? Certainly not for us.

Missed opprtunity for amtrack. As for rail at the port, we need to march down with our pitchforks and torches on that issue. Does that gate station at Hecksher and 9A have any bearing on the lack of rail?

Go get 'em in the smoke filled room, Ock. Bring a couple varieties of smoking apparatus. From the Peace pipe or funeral pyre. They choose.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:10:47 PM by buckethead »

mtraininjax

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 12:03:43 AM »
Considering how some here, like to use pictures to sell fantasy, let's just suppose that words do a better job. We need growth people, not the 2% that the Obama fans claim they can get, we need 4% GDP year over year to grow our country and our people out of the current straits. Jeb Bush was on CNBC this AM, said 4% is achieveable, but we need to expand and grow, in all areas of the economy. You can't spend your way out of a recession, you have to grow it and get back the jobs that were lost. In 2001, it took 40 months to recover the jobs lost from that recession. Does Obama have 40+ months to wait for growth and jobs?

I think not. Love the pictures though. lol
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

CS Foltz

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 07:00:08 AM »
Talk is cheap and I believe "Jeb" no more than I believed his brother "Dubya"! I do agree that we need to get serious about jobs and the like! Exporting our engineering and manufacturing base does us no good in the long run!

buckethead

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 07:55:55 AM »
Considering how some here, like to use pictures to sell fantasy, let's just suppose that words do a better job. We need growth people, not the 2% that the Obama fans claim they can get, we need 4% GDP year over year to grow our country and our people out of the current straits. Jeb Bush was on CNBC this AM, said 4% is achieveable, but we need to expand and grow, in all areas of the economy. You can't spend your way out of a recession, you have to grow it and get back the jobs that were lost. In 2001, it took 40 months to recover the jobs lost from that recession. Does Obama have 40+ months to wait for growth and jobs?

So rail at the port is a sentimental notion?

Dog Walker

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 05:24:16 PM »
If you had a graph of the spread of Interstate Highways and one with the decline of rail freight traffic, I'll bet they would have a one to one inverse relationship.  The Interstates, built and maintained by the Federal government made truck freight transport more attractive than the railroads which had to build and maintain their own equipment.  Ock, am I right?

With the rapid increase in the price of oil, that trend might just begin to be reversed. I hope.
When all else fails hug the dog.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »

Oh my God, OCK lives right over that hill... Well sometimes anyway.

MTRAIN, You and I BOTH know better then this post suggests... Glad you like the photos, but which one is a fantasy?

Photo 1, A double stack container train, as in, have you ever seen the FEC drawbridge with a train on it?

Photo 2, A mega warehouse for bulk shipment logistics, as in, have you ever driven around Imeson? Commonwealth at Lane? Philips Highway?

Photo 3, A giant railroad intermodal center, as in, you do know about Pritchard Road's CSX yard, Bowden Yard and Simpson Yard right?

Photo's 4-5, Huntsville Alabama's International Logistics Center, as in rail, air, highway... ahh but they are missing the Port!

I agree with your review of the Obama practice of "Spending us rich," in all area's, but I would argue certain sectors that have long been neglected are overdue for some spending. Rail is one of those sectors.

Dog Walker, you are dead on right about the decline in rail cargo or passenger services. If one overlays a map of the Interstate Highway System on a map of the US Rail Network of 1954, the results are shockingly obvious. The government simply (I'm sure with no help from the highway lobby and think tanks like CUTR or USF) decided to build a taxpayer supported super system to compete with a private industry that led the entire world.

The cost of fuel has already done it's work and today the railroads are in the strange situation of regrets for the massive abandonment's of the recent past. Today the industry is investing BILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars in double and triple tracking, up grades, speed increases, cutoffs and even reopening long abandoned rights of way. An industry that was flirting with 20% or so of the entire freight load in America, is now back to almost 50%. The other percentages are divided between trucking, waterways and air. All of this and Florida has kept it's head in the sand thanks to the expert advice of our transportation think tank at CUTR/USF.

OCKLAWAHA

CS Foltz

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 08:38:34 PM »
CUTR/USF are experts? Well they sure do think they are..............not!