Author Topic: Moving Fairgrounds to Cecil Field a Bad Idea  (Read 10702 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Moving Fairgrounds to Cecil Field a Bad Idea
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:01:52 AM »
Moving Fairgrounds to Cecil Field a Bad Idea

Since 2000, more than $1.1 billion in development has taken place in Downtown Jacksonville.  In 2008, the city even went as far as establishing a special committee to help increase the number of events taking place in downtown.  Now the City of Jacksonville is prepared to undermine its own efforts to make downtown a vibrant destination by possibly moving the fair and its 500,000 annual visitors to Cecil Field.  Here are five reasons why this appears to be a bad idea.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-dec-moving-fairgrounds-to-cecil-field-a-bad-idea

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
Re: Moving Fairgrounds to Cecil Field a Bad Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:12:14 AM »
APPEARS to be a bad idea?  It IS a bad idea!

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialservices.com and thank you!!!

zoo

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:40:36 AM »
Before removing 500,000 downtown visitors per year, consider backing JTA and the North Florida TPO's plans with local money to accelerate implementation of mass transit to the Sports District and Downtown. 

DITTO!!!!!!

Ron Mexico

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 08:41:11 AM »
Now the city is really getting desperate to put something at Cecil to create the illusion of activity.  Good thing those real estate speculators set up those speakers at City Hall to keep the Navy away.  We certainly did need them here and all the jobs they would have brought.
I'm too drunk to eat this chicken - Col Sanders

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 09:16:34 AM »
If the fairgrounds have to move why not integrate them into the Springfield parks master plan?  There is plenty of open space coupled with a soon to be upgraded creek and additional ammenities.  Furthermore, there may soon be a transit connection via Springfield trollys and State & Union to move people around.

Reaper man

• Two words
    • Zophar's domain
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 09:19:17 AM »
I think the biggest issue is the fact that Cecil Field is way out there.  The nice thing about it being in downtown is it was basically in the heart of Jacksonville; it wasn't too far for anybody.  Now, I'm pretty sure that Eastern Jacksonville residents won't even bother.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:39:18 AM by Lunican »

vicupstate

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 10:05:54 AM »
The folks at the fair should be prepared to take a big hit the first year that it moves to Cecil, if that occurs. 

When I lived in Columbia SC, there was a popular, well attended festival called Mayfeast that had been held annually for about a decade or so.  One year the NAME of the park where it was held was changed (to honor the mayor who fostered the idea and creation of said park).  Despite ideal weather, the attendance dropped something like 20-30%.  While the location of the festival didn't change, too much of the the general population did not realize that the festival was in the same location, and only the name of the park had changed.

Eventually, word got around and attendance returned to normal over the next year or two.  Still, there was that initial hit that no one planned for.

In this situation, the NAME AND LOCATION of the site will change.  I would expect it to be even worst, particularly if there isn't additional expenditure to 'educate' people.  Not everyone reads the newspaper and follows local stuff like this.       
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Jth

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 10:43:34 AM »
Of all the bad ideas this city has proposed, this one is up there with the worst.

Why not just put it in Lake City? Then Gate would really make out well on the deal...

Can the date of the fair be changed? Seems like a simple solution, just move the fair to the springtime.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 10:46:08 AM »
I think this idea is so bad even Jax can not get this done.
Lenny Smash

hightowerlover

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 11:11:53 AM »
so what happens if we move the fair out of this location and then we lose the jaguars to another town that actually supports being an NFL town?  can we just gut it all and lump the entire district in with the shipyards pipe dream?

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 11:14:46 AM »
Leave the fair Downtown. IF you want a rural fair experience go to any county in this region. Duval's fair should be Downtown!

north miami

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 11:16:58 AM »

If the Fair fades away from the downtown scene for whatever 'reason' there is but one conclusion:Another step in the decline of downtown.

The whole episode speaks volumes.

north miami

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 11:20:15 AM »
so what happens if we move the fair out of this location and then we lose the jaguars to another town that actually supports being an NFL town?  can we just gut it all and lump the entire district in with the shipyards pipe dream?

Speaking of the Shipyards....I recall Shipyards/Tri-Legacy group involvement in Cecil.

Hang on the the Downtown Fair location-it may be all we end up with.

Some day we may see Cecil brought back to military use in US soil defense needs.

Bativac

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 11:36:35 AM »
Is this another "bend over backwards for the Jaguars" type of thing? God forbid we have TOO MANY PEOPLE downtown for a couple of weekends. Who cares about some traffic a couple weekends out of the year? If it's that big a deal, why don't the fair organizers just reschedule it? Nothing drastic, just a week or two earlier... Or get the friggin mass transit thing going so you don't have a million cars clogging up E Bay and Forsyth, Hart Bridge, Mathews Bridge, etc...

I'm two minutes from downtown. I'm at least half an hour from Cecil Field, along with more than half the city, I imagine. I don't see many people going that far out of their way for corn dogs and deadly dangerous thrill rides.

Just leave the Fair where it is!

exnewsman

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 12:53:14 PM »
I disagree. I see the fairgrounds property as a perfect location for a hotel/condo similar to the W in Dallas. Sitting right in the heart of the sports complex with permanent and transient populations would then make extending the Skyway to that area more logical. Agricultural fairs should in in ag areas - like the Westside/Cecil area. Leave the sentimentality at home and look at the bigger picture. This is not a Jaguars issue.