Author Topic: Adaptive Reuse: Vanderleigh Furniture & Antiques  (Read 13039 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Adaptive Reuse: Vanderleigh Furniture & Antiques
« on: November 25, 2009, 05:22:04 AM »
Adaptive Reuse: Vanderleigh Furniture & Antiques

In a city known for embracing demolition before preservation, Vanderleigh Furniture & Antiques is a refreshing change which illustrates the benefit of historic restoration and adaptive reuse on Jacksonville's urban landscape.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-nov-adaptive-reuse-vanderleigh-furniture-antiques

fsu813

Re: Adaptive Reuse: Vanderleigh Furniture & Antiques
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 08:08:35 AM »
I've visited.....a very nice place....

02roadking

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 08:21:48 AM »
Wow
Springfield since 1998

strider

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 08:39:21 AM »
A great building with a great new use.  This is another example of how the overlay would have prevented this project, but a zoning change (in this case, RMD to CRO) made it possible. 
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

zoo

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 08:43:35 AM »
Great urban design in retail space below and residential space above. Haven't been by in awhile, but will make a point to stop in over the holiday weekend. Per website, hours are:

Open Wednesday-Saturday
10:00 AM- 5:00 PM

(Except 2nd Wed-Sat of each month)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:13:55 AM »
I just added a historical outline of the building to the article from information found in the Jacksonville City Directories.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

chris farley

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 09:18:40 AM »
I bought two chairs there and love them to death.  They also do absoutely great furniture refinishing.

Dapperdan

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 09:52:06 AM »
Is someone living upstairs? I miss the days of store owners living above their stores.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 10:03:33 AM »
The owner lives upstairs.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

nestliving

• nestliving
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 10:59:15 AM »
one of the best retail spaces in Jacksonville. every time I drive past i get jealous...

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 12:10:38 PM »
Do they sell any Jacksonville-specific artifacts?
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

will

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 03:41:58 PM »
I've purchased a few large pieces from Vanderleigh. Most of what I've bought has been teak furniture that the owner (Walter Kingston) personally imported from Indonesia. He has gone on extended trips there to search the local towns and villages for interesting pieces - mostly leftovers from the Dutch colonial period. He's also just a generally fascinating character. Ask him to show you his slides from his Asian travel over the years. It's better than National Geographic.

jeh1980

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 01:27:35 PM »
I strongly disagree about Jacksonville being known for embracing demolition.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 08:07:06 PM »
That's fine but the communities of LaVilla, Brooklyn, Downtown, East Jacksonville, etc. would suggest otherwise.

duchessd

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 05:17:16 PM »
What a fantastic piece on Vanderleigh Antiques, thanks!  While Walter still has a few pieces of teak furniture from Indonesia, he and I are now really focusing on more design/decorator oriented antiques and artwork.  So if you spot a piece that you love in a design magazine, let us know and we will keep a look out for you while on buying trips.  And if art is your thing, please stop in to see the unique, ever-evolving collection from listed and undiscovered artists.  I tend to lean toward mid-century art, but a few months back a pair of ancestral portraits grabbed my attention and found their way to the shop.  One never knows what they'll find when poking their head into an antique shop and Vanderleigh is no exception!  See you soon.