Author Topic: Urban Core Construction Update - November 2009  (Read 4471 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Core Construction Update - November 2009
« on: November 17, 2009, 05:11:08 AM »
Urban Core Construction Update - November 2009

A look at the status of various projects under construction in and around Downtown Jacksonville during the month of November.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-nov-urban-core-construction-update-november-2009

Hurricane

Re: Urban Core Construction Update - November 2009
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:11:29 AM »
You should wear an INS hard hat and approach the courthouse when you take pictures.  I bet there would be some funny ones of the big scatter that ensues.  Don't you love the security at the construction of our courthouse?  Any terrorist can go work on the jobsite for cash and a fake ID and potentially plant an explosive for future terrorism.  I'm exciting that we're finally building the building, but I never thought that security on the jobsite would be that bad.  Turner Construction deserves more than a slap on the wrist for employing a 1/3 of the job's workforce with fake ID's.  (Even though the subcontractors are at fault, Turner is in charge of everyone...)

aaapolito

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 06:18:13 AM »
Courthouse project is going in the right direction, UP!  I drive by it almost everyday and I am impressed with the progress.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 06:49:46 AM »
I love the new look of Main Street.  It is not finished yet but it looks 100% better than what it did before the project began.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 07:33:59 AM »
Almost anything is an improvement of what Main Street in Springfield used to look like.  The improvement and reconstruction bodes well for future business and residential projects along that corridor in Springfield.  Good to see the Courthouse finally, after almost 7 years going up, but not without hiccups along the way.  Turner Construction needs to be more militaristic and security minded in their hiring process; this is not 1969.  Anyhoo, a couple of real projects going up in "Big Jax;" wish there were more, but hopefully as the economy improves some of the "on hold" projects and even cancelled projects will be revived.

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Pavers

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 08:28:34 AM »
What and exactly where is the Dragon Fly Bar?  Another entertainment option for downtown?!?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:41:57 AM »
Dragon Fly will be a bar.  Its right off the corner of Bay and Ocean.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 08:42:39 AM »
Dragon Fly Bar is on Ocean, near Bay, next to the Bostwick Building (the empty old bank building with the jaguars painted in the windows).

That first picture of Main in the thread is terrific.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 09:17:31 AM »
Main Street really is looking great.  Anyone know what kind of landscaping is planned for the medians?  More palms or just grass?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »
You know, I don't have as much of an issue with the Main Street project, but the medians are terrible.  While the residents are affected, I'm more concerned about the businesses that it can hurt.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 10:33:54 AM »
They really need to get the medians finished if they want to keep the cycle of putting them in and pulling them out running smoothly.

OK I will try to be less negative the rest of the day.
Lenny Smash

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 10:34:56 AM »
Plantings are great, but maintaining it is another issue. The lighting and irrigation needs to be kept up with. Nothing wrong with palms, look at the old streetcar pictures on Main St. Cabbage/Sabal palms lined the way.

hanjin1

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »
I swear I saw young oak trees that were about to be planted, dont know what else though

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 10:40:37 AM »
Palms in a narrow roadway median make a lot of sence.  The shade trees need to be long the sidewalks where they can be enjoyed and more easily maintained.

fsu813

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 11:02:04 AM »
50 years from now a row of mature oaks and magnolia leading to Downtown would be spectacular.
You know i'm just kiddin'.............unless you're gonna do it   -Kanye