Author Topic: Elements of Urbanism: Dayton  (Read 1979 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Elements of Urbanism: Dayton
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:08:25 AM »
Elements of Urbanism: Dayton

Metro Jacksonville takes a look at the downtown of Ohio's fourth largest city: Dayton

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-nov-elements-of-urbanism-dayton

tpot

Re: Elements of Urbanism: Dayton
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:41:56 AM »
You can update the list of Fortune 500 companies and remove NCR from Dayton.  NCR moved it's World Headquarters to Duluth, GA earlier this year..........

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 06:47:30 AM »
Thanks!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

copperfiend

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 08:01:22 AM »
The streets look pretty empty with the exception of the kids playing in the one picture and the congregation of cross dressers in another.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 08:22:03 AM »
The images were taken on a Saturday afternoon back in June.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Overstreet

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 08:50:52 AM »
Dayton is also home to Wight Patterson AFB.  It is home to the AFMC or material command.  It should be listed as a major economic factor.
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/main/welcome.asp

Dayton is also home to the USAF museum.
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Hurricane

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
It's amazing how multiple aerial electrical wires absolutely make any city look "red neck".  Even if the building's architect is great, the wires are such a distraction that it's hard to notice.  If there is something very ugly on top of something beautiful, you wind up only noticing the ugly...  I can say that this is something that Jacksonville did well - hiding the electrical wires underground.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 04:05:08 PM »
Poor Dayton.  I wonder what happened.  It was once bigger (before consolidation) than Jacksonville.  Anyone know what the industry was or exactly what contributed or helped to reduce Dayton's population?  A lot of similarities between Dayton and Jacksonville.

Heights Unknown
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

zoo

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
Love the rowhouses in the first two pics of Oregan section. Wish someone would do some of those, with brick (no cheap siding, pls) in Springfield...

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »
I think Dayton used to be big for rubber. Mead Paper used to have a presence too if I remember right. I have a couple family members that live in the suburbs between Dayton and Cincy. I've never spent a whole lot of time there though. Cincinnati is so close that I'd rather be there if I were going to make the drive which was a couple hours for me. For me, Dayton was never anything to write home about.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 07:17:59 PM »
Love the rowhouses in the first two pics of Oregan section. Wish someone would do some of those, with brick (no cheap siding, pls) in Springfield...

Love them too.  Unfortunately, they can't be done without a zoning exception, variance or PUD.  This was the first concept for my project.  When it was apparent that it was not going to be supported, we changed the concept to live/work lofts and found a commercial property were we could argue was within a "transitioning" zone from heavy commercial to residential. 

While we'll never see these in Springfield or Riverside, I would love to see them in areas like Durkeeville, Brooklyn, LaVilla and the Eastside.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 07:21:53 PM by thelakelander »

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 08:24:31 PM »
Real feeble and hungry looking skyline.

Heights Unknown
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

DaytonOhio

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 08:06:09 PM »
Here is a much better view of Downtown Dayton.

Who showed you around on your trip? You missed so much eg. TechTown, Dayton Art Institute, Riverscape Fountian, Wright Dunbar, Sinclair and so much more.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 08:12:08 PM »
No one.  Dayton was simply a pit stop on the way to a few larger midwestern cities, due to limited time.  I really only had time to drive around the central core of downtown and not explore too many areas outside of it.  I travel up to Detroit on a regular basis so feel free to draw up a map suggesting what places to check out.  Next trip, I'll do that and add the images here.

Great shots, btw.  Where is that river fountain?  I did not see it while at Riverscape Park.  Perhaps it was off?