Author Topic: Washington DC goes Streetcar  (Read 5751 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Washington DC goes Streetcar
« on: November 05, 2009, 06:07:34 AM »
Washington DC goes Streetcar

For all those who believe an integrated transit system with multiple modes doesn't make sense, don't tell that to Washington, DC.  Already blessed with the Amtrak Acela, a subway and commuter rail, the capitol city has an agressive plan underway to add 37 miles of streetcar routes to the region's transit mix.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-nov-washington-dc-goes-streetcar

CS Foltz

Re: Washington DC goes Streetcar
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 06:15:51 AM »
At least DC has a vision as well as a plan..............I did not see anything regarding funding for operation MJ, got any information that our City might be able to use? Somehow a $2 Dollar rental tax does not seem quite enough to fund full 24/7 operations and a drop in rental useage would drop tax collection...........I hate to say it but an increase in property tax may be the way to go if it is earmarked for "Mass Transit Useage Only"?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 06:32:51 AM »
I think before you can figure out funding for annual O&M costs or even a funding source, you need to identify what that annual number is going to be.  To get to that point, you need to pick what type of streetcar and service the community wants.  For all we know at this point, the annual O&M may be a drop in the bucket compared to some things we already pay for and a reallocation of the money currently spent could handle it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Dan B

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:17:28 AM »
We can piss and moan about costs, and everything else, but none of it matters unless there is a will to get it done.

Jacksonville has proven it will spend any kind of money necessary to implement a plan, even a bad one, if it REALLY believes in it.

The problem with Streetcar isnt the cost. Its the lack of belief in it.

CS Foltz

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 07:23:32 AM »
lake.....you make a valid point! However what ever figures that JTA provides would be suspect from the start. I am not really sure how to get that kind of information since we are dealing in what ifs! Potential is there for sure and if you confine search to inner core then concensus information may be applicable rather than what JTA would provide. Last figures that I remember was at about 900k but something that was useable 24/7,unlike the $kyway,has a lot of potential!

CS Foltz

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 07:34:32 AM »
Therein lies the problem Gentlemen...............no vision and no plan! City is being run by amateurs and AIMO's and it shows with the monetary issue's we face. Too many Agency's protecting their turf and no cohesive game plan for overall advancement! It would help if Johnny had some kind of idea of what to do but that is a lost cause........latest idea, changing make Laura St two way and moving Jackson Statue at the cost of just 2 Million Dollars!

zoo

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 07:52:44 AM »
• Link neighborhoods with a modern, convenient and attractive transportation alternative.

• Attract new transit riders.

• Offer a broader range of transit options for District residents.

• Reduce short inner-city car trips, parking demand, traffic congestion and air pollution.

• Encourage economic development and affordable housing options along streetcar corridors

I think Jacksonville is waiting for its populace to think items 1-4 are just as important as the 5th item. At JTA  the 5th item is often the main focus, and while 3 and 4 may show up on occasion, linking neighborhoods and attracting new transit riders seem virtually non-existent in JTA's list of project objectives.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 08:21:23 AM »
We can piss and moan about costs, and everything else, but none of it matters unless there is a will to get it done.

Jacksonville has proven it will spend any kind of money necessary to implement a plan, even a bad one, if it REALLY believes in it.

The problem with Streetcar isnt the cost. Its the lack of belief in it.

You are right on with this post and I wish our leaders could figure this out instead of being afraid that transit as an issue would be some political hot potato.

As much as some people who post here thinks Jax won't vote progressively on building the city they are wrong.  I think people here see republicans winning elections and make up their mind how the voters will decide on every issue.  Better Jax very progressive if not the best plan.  The locals voted to improve their city even though it upped taxes. Now give them a better plan and watch them vote to improve their city again.

I think the Streetcar idea could be sold here especially with it already being a successful part of our history.
Lenny Smash

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 08:24:21 AM »
I have an idea. Why don't you guys show up at JTA Board meetings and tell the Board this is what the community wants. There is an opportunity for public comment at every Board meeting. Staff can only do so much. They need to hear from the community!

JeffreyS

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 08:28:02 AM »
You need a Mayor to push this stuff or at least support it.  I and many others here have been to council and JTA meetings and will continue to do so.
Lenny Smash

JeffreyS

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 09:08:39 AM »
Lenny Smash

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 09:47:43 AM »
I was just in DC about a month ago and saw first hand the impact of the streetcar plans on Anacostia.  For years, Anacostia has been one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in DC and now (just like Columbia Heights when the green line was extended through it) new infill development is starting to penetrate the area.  One of my college classmates just purchased a loft in the middle of the neighborhood, strictly because of the streetcar line coming into the area.  Her loft sits in the middle of the hood, on a high hill and comes with a roof terrace where you can see the entire city.  Its quite impressive and was affordable because of the area of town its in.  A project like this would not have happened without the promise of fixed mass transit coming into the immediate area.  If we can bring such a transit project to Jacksonville, I see no reason why a neighborhood like Brooklyn, LaVilla, Durkeeville, Brentwood, Panama Park, New Springfield or Springfield can't enjoy the same economic benefits.  If massive market rate redevelopment can engulf these communities, downtown will fill in and redevelop by default.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

CS Foltz

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 12:25:08 PM »
lake I concur!.......to me it is a no brainer but the powers that be (IE Mayor,JTA and the Council) just don't get it as is evident by their glaring lack of interest! Most of the Council has their own agenda, a pittance here and there but there is no cohesive plan for much of anything! This should be the prevue of the Mayoral Office, to lead to have a vision and a plan and ours is severely lackin basic leadership skills..........."Run the City like a Business" has not proven to this point anything other than Fee's, extra taxes and no vision!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 05:33:31 PM »
At least DC has a vision as well as a plan..............I did not see anything regarding funding for operation MJ, got any information that our City might be able to use? Somehow a $2 Dollar rental tax does not seem quite enough to fund full 24/7 operations and a drop in rental useage would drop tax collection...........I hate to say it but an increase in property tax may be the way to go if it is earmarked for "Mass Transit Useage Only"?

Wow, that's a loaded question. So I'll give you a VERY loaded answer, "OMG do we ever have information, plans, drawings, costs, etc... Even long term operations finance. But now is not the time to share it, trust us, talks ARE happening behind the pages.

OCKLAWAHA

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 06:00:23 PM »
Never liked the "wireless" PCC cars DC had. That cable car slot down the middle of the street was more unsightly then a single small gauge wire. Besides that, someone probing deep into that hole would get a shocking response. Hang em high.

OCKLAWAHA