Author Topic: A New Look for the Suburbs?  (Read 3807 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
A New Look for the Suburbs?
« on: July 03, 2007, 03:58:00 AM »
A New Look for the Suburbs?

We have to think of these corridors ... as the front door of our neighborhoods.  - Jacksonville Planning Director Brad Thoburn.  Months ago we critized the nomination of Brad Thoburn as Jacksonville's Planning Director.  However, there is merit behind his department's recent suggestion of clustering retail strip center buildings and making parking less of a focal point.  

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/484

copperfiend

Re: A New Look for the Suburbs?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 09:53:01 AM »
There is a large number of projects in Atlanta that have this look to them. I was in the Vinings a few weeks back and there is a new development with a few trendier establishments. The layout is enviable. Alot of the new Kroger centers have better layouts too. One even had an attached parking structure with parking on the roof. In the burbs!

And I hope the St Johns Town Center is not a model for anything. The layout of the SJTC is a huge disappointment. The parking and traffic are nothing short of disasterous.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 08:45:23 PM »
SJTC excells in tenant mix only.  If anyone needs a good local example, the Riverside Publix center is a great one to follow. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 04:01:27 PM »
It seems to me that the Publix/Starbucks center at the corner of Riverside and Margret is an example of what this article asks for.  Well, except for the Oak St. side, that is.  The Riverside and Margaret St. sides are close to the street and hide the parking lot.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 04:12:34 PM »
Yes, the Riverside center is a good model to look at.  Even along Riverside Avenue, the parking is decently buffered with the retail building housing the sushi restaurant and a small outdoor courtyard, just to the south.  The Oak Street side is the lone exception.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 04:36:03 PM »
Who knows?  Maybe someday the center will expand along Oak St. completing the horseshoe.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

deathstar

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 01:47:27 AM »
It seems to me that the Publix/Starbucks center at the corner of Riverside and Margret is an example of what this article asks for.  Well, except for the Oak St. side, that is.  The Riverside and Margaret St. sides are close to the street and hide the parking lot.
I was actually gonna comment about that very spot lol. The Longhorns is nicely placed too, with plenty of parking, and 2 exits leading to either Roosevelt or San Juan. Speaking of poor placement of businesses, the Gateway Publix is in SUCH a horrible spot. You can just spot it before you go over the bridge on 95 to the right, buried smack dab in the middle of pure nothingness.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 06:03:46 AM »
Great post.  In my opinion all developments, buildings, etc. should be "up on the street" vice parking lots "in your face" with the buildings or development set way back.  Parking lots should be in the back of the buildings or development or have parking on the street curb on the sidewalk.

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialservices.com and thank you!!!