Author Topic: The Ghosts of Jacksonville's Past  (Read 10336 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The Ghosts of Jacksonville's Past
« on: October 02, 2009, 05:16:36 AM »
The Ghosts of Jacksonville's Past

Arguing the merits of historic preservation can be a difficult task in a city that does not value its history. However, they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Today, Metro Jacksonville kicks off a new photo series illustrating what's been lost in our urban core.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-oct-the-ghosts-of-jacksonvilles-past

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
Re: The Ghosts of Jacksonville's Past
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:23:51 AM »
I like the contrast.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 07:58:30 AM »
Wasn't the Arcade Theatre the Center Theater at the End?  Great contrast and tells a sad, chiding story of how our leaders allowed downtown Jacksonville, and the City proper to be reduced to a ghostly shell of its former self.

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialservices.com and thank you!!!

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 08:30:48 AM »
I think that you are right, heights.  I recall seeing the old Center Theater sign back when I wandered Adams Street on nights out at the old Milk Bar...

These are some great pictures, by the way.  It helps us to remember that these long-demolished places actually stood somewhere in Jacksonville.  It's also depressing to imagine how much we did neglect over the years.
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 08:38:05 AM »
And the 2009 winners of the best Jacksonville historical presentation MJ award are Daniel Herbin and Ennis Davis. Congratulations!
Lenny Smash

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 08:46:58 AM »
This is beautifully done but very sad.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

jason_contentdg

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 08:59:33 AM »
Great idea, great execution, horribly depressing.

Jennifer Browning

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 09:07:13 AM »
This is wonderfully done... although.... I'm sad that we've lost so much of our history in Jacksonville.  :(
Jennifer Browning

copperfiend

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 09:20:37 AM »
This really was a gorgeous presentation. It is sad to think of the ignorance that has been in power in Jacksonville for so long. They have allowed the core of the city to be destroyed.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 09:22:23 AM »
Great effort exposing our sad past...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

mtraininjax

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 09:34:43 AM »
It is sad to think of the ignorance that has been in power in Jacksonville for so long. They have allowed the core of the city to be destroyed.

But decaying buildings with pieces falling down from above (laura trio) should be the norm? Sure they are/were great buildings, but no one uses them. Find a use, pay the rent, and use them. Allowing a building to sit empty just because it "looks cool", is a sad reason to keep a building, and a dangerous one. When you walk along the street at night, if you are one of the few, with a parking lot, you can see people coming, as opposed to the people hiding in the corridors of delapadated buildings that should have been levelled a long time ago.

I love what the Seminole Club used to be, but it has sat empty for a very long time, and while it is sad, if the City inspectors had to condemn it and demolish it, I would not mind. Same goes for the old JEA building on Julia. You can't save every building downtown, instead enjoy what is left and make do with what you have.

Living in the past is like visiting and re-visiting history hoping that the past can alter the present.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

copperfiend

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 10:38:08 AM »
When you walk along the street at night, if you are one of the few, with a parking lot, you can see people coming, as opposed to the people hiding in the corridors of delapadated buildings that should have been levelled a long time ago.

I choose to not live my life in fear.

CDG

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 11:11:31 AM »
Love, love, love, this presentation.  The more people that see this the better.  Maybe the community will start to understand what has happened to our city and why good design and planning is so important as we move forward.  It would be nice to really be the "Bold New City of the South" instead of the "It's better than it was before, Mediocre City of the South".  Thanks for the great images......

avonjax

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 12:38:01 PM »
mtraininjax
I agree lets just raze any old building in downtown that sits empty.

vicupstate

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 01:13:41 PM »
It is sad to think of the ignorance that has been in power in Jacksonville for so long. They have allowed the core of the city to be destroyed.

But decaying buildings with pieces falling down from above (laura trio) should be the norm? Sure they are/were great buildings, but no one uses them. Find a use, pay the rent, and use them. Allowing a building to sit empty just because it "looks cool", is a sad reason to keep a building, and a dangerous one. When you walk along the street at night, if you are one of the few, with a parking lot, you can see people coming, as opposed to the people hiding in the corridors of delapadated buildings that should have been levelled a long time ago.

I love what the Seminole Club used to be, but it has sat empty for a very long time, and while it is sad, if the City inspectors had to condemn it and demolish it, I would not mind. Same goes for the old JEA building on Julia. You can't save every building downtown, instead enjoy what is left and make do with what you have.

Living in the past is like visiting and re-visiting history hoping that the past can alter the present.

According to this line of thinking (if it can be called that), the current city hall (St. James building) should have been demolished years ago.  Instead, it was beautifully restored and a new use was found. It was also completed at a BARGAIN price versus what a new building of similiar size would have cost.

The same thing would have occurred to the Klutho building on Springfield's Main street, 11 E., The Carling, and numerous other buildings. 

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln