Author Topic: Real Planning Director Candidates  (Read 1886 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Real Planning Director Candidates
« on: January 15, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Real Planning Director Candidates

While the cronyism (yes, it's a strong word, but let's have a contest - can you think of a more accurate one?) of this administration continues, we thought we would help out whomever will be tasked with finding a Planning Director once the mayor's political annointee - Brad Thoburn – is rejected by our integrity-filled City Council.  To whomever you are out there, here is a free leads list… please note that it consists of only a few contacts in the southeast. You are on your own to do the work for the other major cities across the U.S. (and please do it this time, even if Peyton tells you not to).Rebecca Salter was the individual in Human Resources for the City of Jacksonville that directed the failed, pseudo  national search  for a new Planning Director. In an apparent reward for her high level of service, our mayor has given her a promotion to the Director of Human Resources (see: Thoburn to Lead Planning Department (http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/2007/01/01/daily11.html) ).

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/298

Go Figure

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 08:09:37 AM »
If you would look through the appointed list you'll soon realize that all of the officials that have cridentials have been fired or left. This man is going to ruin our city by the end of his term.

tufsu1

Credentials
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 10:28:50 AM »
Some of the people listed here had about the same credentials as Thoburn when they got their jobs.

I do not believe that a planning degree should be required (although I have one), but any person appointed should be a member of the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)

Riskable

A master's degree in planning only certifies that you met some professor's arbitrary standards on what makes for good urban planning at some point in the past.  Urban planning is one of those things that changes with time and I'd like to think that it would be important for anyone taking up the position to be as knowledgeable in sustainable development (long-term environmental impact) as they are in classical urban planning (long-term economic impact).

The two schools of thought are closer than ever these days.  I would argue that sustainable urban planning is the best way to ensure the best long-term economic growth.

-Riskable
"If you elect leaders that act irresponsibly towards nature, you'll find that irresponsibility is the nature of your leaders."

vicupstate

Master's Degree ? What about a Bachelor's in Planning or Public Admin. ?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 01:23:57 PM »
Thoburn doesn't have one of those either.  

Shouldn't the P.D. at least be versed in the terminolgy of planning? Shouldn't they have SOME background in the field?  

This is a political choice, pure and simple.  Stop denying the reality that you know exists.    
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Go Figure

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 05:32:05 PM »
Brad will fit in well with the other nonqualified appointed officials, i.e., Kerry Stewart, Susan Pelter, Paul Crawford, Alen Mosley, Becky Salter and others yet to be hired.

White Rabbit

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 05:52:19 PM »
Many of the people working in the planning department are very disgusted with this situation.  They relate that Mr. Thoburn had to ask employees to explain terminolgy and process to him on a regular basis.  It is outrageous that this city continues to put unqualified individuals into positions of authority.  Leadership has no true idea of the degree of discord and loss of moral these political appointments cause.  Experienced and mature individuals are expected to do the bidding of a Director that has to ask them what various terminology means in the department.  This is an outrage.

By awarding this position to Thoburn, the city will also start paying him a salary that was meant to be paid to a qualified and experienced planner.  This compiles the outrage.  

Citizens need to make plans to make personal appearances to publically demand that Thoburn not be appointed for a position he is no way qualified for.  It should be understand that the intention of this administrtion and those connected to it on the council is to appoint Thoburn.  One of those supporting him, Suzanne Jenkins by her own admission.

Cletus Spuckler

I'm here for dat jodb
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 09:16:05 PM »
Hey, folks and y'all I agrees that u shud aint need no dugerre fer da job. Anyhoo, I can do that! So hows about it? huh?

Cletus Spuckler

Contact info
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 09:18:03 PM »
BTW, you can git me at slack_jawed_yokel@yahoo.com

Noone

Re: Real Planning Director Candidates
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 05:07:10 AM »
?