Author Topic: Elements of Urbanism: Toronto  (Read 1965 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Elements of Urbanism: Toronto
« on: June 26, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Elements of Urbanism: Toronto

This time there's no comparison.  Instead, let's examine what vibrant urban life looks and feels like, while paying close attention to the subtle things that combine create this urban powerhouse of activity.  

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/481

archiphreak

Re: Elements of Urbanism: Toronto
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 09:37:50 AM »
I see a photo spread like this of a vibrant and bustling urban core and the only thing that comes to mind is how much I want to live there.  When will Jacksonville take a f$#@ing page from the books of thousands of other successful urban centers all over the world?!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 09:42:41 AM »
I think Jax's chances for a vibrant urban future grow everyday with more exposure to successful things being implemented in more progressive communities.  While things move at a snail's pace to most of us, public officials and the private sector are taking notice. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

copperfiend

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 10:02:09 AM »
The company I work for has an office in Toronto and I know plenty of people who have been. Most say it is as close to New York City as you can get in North America. At some point in the next few years, I will be going up there. After hearing what those who have visited have to say, and viewing pictures like this, I am looking forwarded to it. The thing that always impresses me about cities like Toronto is the way the parking facilities look. Our surface lots downtown are a joke. What is worse is that companies are tearing down exisiting buildings to build surface lots in our core. And the city is letting them!!! When will this stop?

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 11:36:42 AM »
Maybe one day a few blocks in downtown Jax will be as lively as that (with the epicenter most likely being the intersection of Adams and Laura). Nice tour.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
Transit
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 10:40:47 AM »

Something not as well known is that Toronto also mixes it's new streetcars with the classic PCC Heritage Cars. Those beautiful TTC streetcars you pictured were built by Urban Transit Development, a line that is today part of Bombardier (which at last visit, had an office tower off JTB!). As a transit professional and rail fan, I have always felt the UTDC car design was a near perfect marriage of clean lines, modern appeal, and yet retained something magic about in a classic look. Perhaps it is that cyclops headlight? Rounded front? In any case, some of the UTDC cars as well as some well maintained PCC cars have come up for sale from time to time, as the system expands and buys newer cars.  

Ocklawaha

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 10:57:47 AM »
One interesting thing I did notice is that as busy as Toronto was, most the buses serving the downtown core appeared to be half empty, compared to the streetcars, which stayed loaded around the clock.  The stigma against buses appears to be just bad in major urban cities, as it is in places like Jax.  Any idea on how JTA plans to solve what very few communities have achieved?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 06:57:19 PM »
One interesting thing I did notice is that as busy as Toronto was, most the buses serving the downtown core appeared to be half empty, compared to the streetcars, which stayed loaded around the clock.  The stigma against buses appears to be just bad in major urban cities, as it is in places like Jax.  Any idea on how JTA plans to solve what very few communities have achieved?

Prayer

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 01:08:14 AM »
Here is an image of Toronto's new streetcars that will be arriving in 2011.