Author Topic: Forgotten Proposals: The Jacksonville Quay  (Read 4409 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Forgotten Proposals: The Jacksonville Quay
« on: August 07, 2009, 05:00:55 AM »
Forgotten Proposals: The Jacksonville Quay

"The creation of the quayage would greatly improve the appearance of the waterfront in that area and would enhance the value of the adjoining property."
Florida Times-Union - 1929

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-aug-forgotten-proposals-the-jacksonville-quay

zoo

Re: Forgotten Proposals: The Jacksonville Quay
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 06:38:16 AM »
Would love it if there was a central fish market in Jax. I've missed the ones I've frequented in other metros.

Gonzo

• Beer is Good!
    • The Jax Beer Guy
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 07:41:24 AM »
For a city which calls itself "The River City by the Sea" we a woefully inept in capitalizing on either. When you look at examples such as the Pike Place Market or Fisherman's Wharf you have to wonder why we are still missing the proverbial boat? Both of those markets are HUGE tourist draws and economic boons to their respective cities.

The recent addition and popularity of the Riverside Arts Market should be sending a very clear mesage to the city planners -- build it and they wil come!
Born cold, wet, and crying; Gonzo has never-the-less risen to the pinnacle of the beer-loving world. You can read his dubious insights at www.JaxBeerGuy.com (click the BLOG link).

sheclown

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 07:57:14 AM »
much better idea than sprinklers popping out of concrete...this is an investment that could pay for itself.

Overstreet

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 09:13:11 AM »
Maybe a better point with the Riverside Arts Market is you don't have to build a big expensive building to have a market that people will come to.

A central fish market might be interesting, but I have a fish market less than a mile from my house (excluding the grocery stores). To get to the central retail fish market I'd have to travel twelve miles and pass two other fish markets to get there.  Obviously I'm not the target market for that central fish market.  You need people living nearby.
Then again I’d drive thirty miles to put the boat in and maybe catch a fish. But that is a whole other discussion.

Deuce

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 09:30:47 AM »
Obviously I'm not the target market for that central fish market.

True dat. Problem is the city and developers think they need more people centrally to add things like this, but there is enough to launch anything as long as there's just one. Once you've got it, others will settle centrally as there's now more places to shop at, visit, etc.

I don't know if the Potomac waterfront seafood market in D.C. counts as a quay but it was totally awesome. It's not just a place to shop but also a destination.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 09:37:02 AM »
I love fish markets and the idea of a Quay... I do wonder what fresh fish harvested locally would be sold in quantity and quality at a Jacksonville Quay.  The local shrimping industry barely exists anymore... seems many want to completely curtail Red Snapper harvests.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Overstreet

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 09:47:23 AM »
You sound like the city never did any river front development to bring people downtown.  This discounts the Landing, TUPAC, Riverwalk, River City Brewing Co. and other venues.

Here’s a link to the Soulard Farmers Market in St Louis.  Not the fisherman’s dock of San Francisco y’all seem to be talking about but a long term going concern. In the history section you’ll see that most all the improvements were by private concerns that were later taken over or purchased by the city.  The land was given to the city. Most of the buildings were developed by the farmers or developers and later sold to the city.  One thing that makes this area work is parking. The locals that live there still drive to the market.  We often went there but really did most of our shopping at Schnucks grocery stores.

http://www.soulardmarket.com/soulard_farmers_market_007.htm

Maybe it is not the City of Jacksonville, but private individuals that need to get it going and maybe not on the waterfront.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 09:53:40 AM by Overstreet »

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 09:51:26 AM »
Could a fish market be incorporated into RAM?

copperfiend

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 09:59:30 AM »
We should make a book of everything that was destroyed, torn down or never built downtown. I would call it ''The Way We Weren't''.

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 11:34:56 AM »
We should make a book of everything that was destroyed, torn down or never built downtown. I would call it ''The Way We Weren't''.

"The Way We Weren't; Or Why Jacksonville History Makes Me Want to Take Anti-Depressants"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

Gen7

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 12:39:56 PM »
On a more positive note, since we can't undo our past, The Landing is there and nearly empty of merchants and people.  Since we already have a Farmer's Market on Beaver Street and an Arts Market in Riverside, perhaps something unique would be an International Market at the Landing - Similar to the World of Nations Event that is a big hit every year.  It could feature food, bakery goods, art and music from the various people groups represented in Jacksonville.  I know we have  eastern European, Filipino, Arabic, Jewish, Hispanic, Indian, just to name a few. 

blizz01

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 01:01:43 PM »

I could totally see that first picture in the mezzanine of The Landing every week.  Imagine a flotilla of shrimp boats & fishermen every Saturday docked downtown - incorporated with RAM.  I envision that stretch of Riverwalk in between one day peppered with vendors as well.

Overstreet

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 01:51:22 PM »

I could totally see that first picture in the mezzanine of The Landing every week.  Imagine a flotilla of shrimp boats & fishermen every Saturday docked downtown - incorporated with RAM.  I envision that stretch of Riverwalk in between one day peppered with vendors as well.

More likely the wholesaler bringing them in by truck. Since the shrimp boat docked last night, off loaded and went back out. Fish don't bite  on a Monday- Friday schedule. Then too "Mayport shrimp" might have been caught and off loaded in Brunswick GA.

Gonzo

• Beer is Good!
    • The Jax Beer Guy
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 07:53:16 AM »
Here’s a link to the Soulard Farmers Market in St Louis.  We often went there but really did most of our shopping at Schnucks grocery stores.

I grew up in St. Louis myself and remember going to Soulard often as a child. I'd go with my grandparents who lived in south St. Louis. It was always a vibrant, fun experience. And it was located in a historic area of the city near the central part of downtown.

It was part Farmer's Market, part meat market, part outdoor restaurant. There were always vendors hawking wares, colorful sights and heavenly smells. It evokes many fond memories of mornings perusing produce with my grandmother and of my grandfather haggling with the butcher for freash German sausages.

These are the kinds of memories we should be building for our children and the kind of experiences we should be providing the population of our city. They build a greater sense of community and strenghten the ties one has to the city.  As someone who spent 32 years in St. Louis, I still long for "home" even though Jacksonville is my true home now. But, St. Louis has managed to create such a wealth of unique social experiences that it will always hold a place in my heart. This is what Jacksonville needs to create -- a sense of place and community which will rest in visitor's and residents hearts, beconning them to return.

Born cold, wet, and crying; Gonzo has never-the-less risen to the pinnacle of the beer-loving world. You can read his dubious insights at www.JaxBeerGuy.com (click the BLOG link).