Author Topic: Urban Neighborhoods: Woodstock & Allendale  (Read 4454 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Neighborhoods: Woodstock & Allendale
« on: August 04, 2009, 05:59:46 AM »
Urban Neighborhoods: Woodstock & Allendale

Surrounded by several rail yards, Woodstock was platted in 1917. Throughout the neighborhood's history, it has been a working class community complementing nearby industrial facilities on Jacksonville's Westside. Today, Metro Jacksonville takes a look in and around Woodstock.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-aug-urban-neighborhoods-woodstock-allendale

aaapolito

Re: Urban Neighborhoods: Woodstock & Allendale
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 06:38:02 AM »
The Jacksonville Kennel Club will be converted into a school to house the new KIPP school to open in 2010.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-07-31/story/jacksonville_kennel_club_donated_to_kipp_charter_school

jbroadglide

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:58:59 AM »
Great article but since I am a railroad history buff I'd like to know where you found the picture of what appears to be an SAL locomotive in the Citrus Scheme at West Jax.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus (Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:10:51 AM »
^The State Library & Archives of Florida.  Here is a link to the site's search engine: http://www.floridamemory.com/PhotographicCollection/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jbroadglide

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:32:40 AM »
Great. Thanks. So did you just do a search for Woodstock and pick and choose what photos came up?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:55:37 AM »
I did a number of searches by individual street (ex. Beaver, Edgewood, McDuff), neighborhood (ex. Woodstock, Paxon, Allendale), business (nothing turned up here this time) and railroads (ex. Railroads-Jacksonville).
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jbroadglide

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 11:02:21 AM »
Great information. Thanks Lakelander

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 06:18:25 PM »
I graduated from Paxon. I went to the junior high as well, when it was called that some years ago.

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 11:12:20 PM »
My mom was in the first graduating class at Paxon.  She volunteered to move to that school from Jackson for her senior year.  One of her aunts lived near Woodstock Park until she died.  I remember going over there as a kid in the 60's.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

slsternett

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 09:28:01 PM »
The Cathedral of Faith Church pictured was actually built originally by Jacksonville Baptist Temple formerly known as the Beaver Street Baptist Church.  My grandparents were charter members.   The building was sold in the 80's to another church but I don't remember if it was first sold to the Cathedral of Faith or another church.  The beautiful old stone church pictured with the round stained glass window is the Methodist church on the corner of Broadway and Ontario Sts.  I grew up on Ontario Street.   I spent many hours playing on the grounds of the church as a child. These pictures bring back so many memories. I could hear the sound of the rail cars from the train yard from my bedroom...Now that my husband is a CSX engineer, I know that sound was cars being coupled.  Public School # 17 AKA Annie R Morgan is where I went to Elementary and then on to Paxon Jr High then Graduated in 1969 from Paxon Sr. High.  Woodstock park was where Annie R. Morgan held the fall festivals.  So many memories!  Thanks for this site!

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 09:51:49 PM »
Thanks for the bump.  The two things/memories I have of the area are (unfortunately) Da Dirty Dirty Club on Beaver and the best little seafood place in a pink building about 1-2 miles west of the Farmers Market on Beaver as well (can't remember the name, but it's the BEST).

Forgot the area had so many cool buildings, like that elementary school.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

ricker

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 08:48:54 AM »
WHAT HAPPENED to that large round -ish church on Beaver opposite side of the road from Farmers Market and Severt Trucking?
GONE?