Author Topic: Council Holds Tax Line - Sort of. Here's what Happened  (Read 6290 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Council Holds Tax Line - Sort of. Here's what Happened
« on: July 29, 2009, 05:14:50 AM »
Council Holds Tax Line - Sort of.  Here's what Happened

Last night, the Jacksonville City Council voted to keep the millage rate at 8.48 mills - at least for now. In this Q & A, MetroJacksonville.com explains exactly what last night's vote actually means.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-jul-council-holds-tax-line-sort-of-heres-what-happened

Lucasjj

Re: Council Holds Tax Line - Sort of. Here's what Happened
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 07:38:26 AM »
According to WJXT, with the "rollback" rate of 9.27, the cuts will only have to be 12 million to make up the budget shortfall.

jbroadglide

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 07:39:35 AM »
What strikes me is that no media, except for MetroJax even mentioned the "rollback" figure until this morning. I have been on the phone with several tv stations last week trying to tell them about it and get them to report on it. Nothing. Now reading the comments on the various news websites this morning, its a big surprise to citizens. .20 mils difference which amounts to about 20 bucks. Gee I think I can handle an extra 6 dollars a month, and my budget is very tight. One less Big Mac meal from McDonalds will do me good anyway.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus (Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon)

jbroadglide

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 07:47:24 AM »
And heres a thought to help cut the city budget. Every city employee is required to have 24 hours of trainng a year. That came from the Sterling competition from years ago. The Training Dept pays outside trainers to teach these classes. The city pays UNF and FCCJ to use their facilities. Time to do away with this idea. That could save hundreds of thousands of dollars a year right there.

riverside planner

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 08:03:41 AM »
Not to mention that the overwhelming majority of these training classes are utterly useless.  I was a city employee for a number of years and therefore know what I'm talking about here.  Not one of these classes had anything to do with my job.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 08:07:05 AM »
I have to agree with Riverside Planner on that one as well. I worked for City during those Sterling Years.

Joe

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:30:39 AM »
Yeah, I was a student intern for the city during one of the sterling competitions. That was a massive waste of time. Employees devoted a disproportionate amount of effort to the programs bureaucracy, and even less time to serving clients.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 09:44:30 AM »
MAYOR TO HOLD PRESS CONFERENCE

JACKSONVILLE, Fla., July 29, 2009 – Jacksonville Mayor John Peyton will hold a news conference this morning to discuss the actions he will take following the Jacksonville City Council’s passage of Resolution 2009-510-A, the legislation setting the maximum millage rate for the upcoming fiscal year.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 09:52:46 AM »
^Well, this should be interesting....

Deuce

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 09:57:17 AM »
When JEA sought to slash costs last year in response to the economic crisis, training budget was the first to go.

jb, this was discussed somewhere in a newspaper article. I read it online a week or so ago and I was explaining this to my gf how taxes would go up regardless of what actions the city council took.

jbroadglide

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 10:12:33 AM »
When JEA sought to slash costs last year in response to the economic crisis, training budget was the first to go.

jb, this was discussed somewhere in a newspaper article. I read it online a week or so ago and I was explaining this to my gf how taxes would go up regardless of what actions the city council took.
Deuce I would have argued that point, up until last week, when I saw the posting here about the TRIM rate that needs to be set by Aug 4. Then the light bulb went off over my head and I started telling people at work thats exactly what will happen. And it appears we are headed that way.

vicupstate

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 10:38:49 AM »
Peyton got most of what he wanted.  The oxus is on city council to find the $12mm in cuts, and take the flack as well.  If I were him, I would quit while I was ahead. His political capital at this point is probably insuffient to get the remaining .23 millage.  A modest abroad the board pay cut, police and fire excluded, should cover the difference, and council would take the heat
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 11:00:56 AM »
Breaking News: Mayor Peyton will veto the City Council's vote on the property tax rate hike. Updates from Tiffany Griffith at City Hall.

jbroadglide

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 12:33:44 PM »
The people who want to impeach Peyton and boycott Gate really need to get a grip on reality. There is about as much chance of impeaching Peyton as there is spending a queit evening with Shania Twain in a cabin somewhere in the mountains. It just ain't gonna happen.  And boycotting Gate is just going to hurt the folks who work at Gate, making minimum wage. How do they think its going to possibly have any affect on Peyton the mayor? jeez people..

RiversideLoki

• What do you mean we can't turn left here?
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 02:48:53 PM »
The conspiracy theorist in me makes me think the whole thing's a ploy anyways. This line in the comments of the T.U. article got my attention:

"The mayor will not sign this bill so the millage rate automatically by default rises to 9.27"

How does it rise automatically? This is almost as good as the 9.5 he wanted. Was this planned?
Find Jacksonville on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/jacksonville!