Author Topic: Duval County Courthouse: Examples of What Money Can Buy  (Read 2394 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Duval County Courthouse: Examples of What Money Can Buy
« on: December 27, 2006, 12:00:00 AM »
Duval County Courthouse: Examples of What Money Can Buy

Above Image: An illustration of Calgary, AB's $280 million two block courthouse complex, currently under construction.The City of Jacksonville has recently selected the design-build firm, Auchter/Perry McCall to design the first phase of the long delayed Duval County Courthouse project. The first phase will include a 388,000 square foot, criminal courts structure, estimated to cost $140 million. Construction is anticipated to begin in the fall of 2007. Lets hope that the team of Auchter/Perry McCall has enough design skill and talent to come up with a master site plan and courthouse layout that works for both the courthouse complex and downtown's redevelopment. In the spirit of getting rid of the CBD's largest crater, the following courthouse projects are examples of what type of county courthouse buildings money can buy in the era of rapidly rising construction prices.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/283

southernboi

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 09:52:00 AM »
While I do understand the need to go vertical I don't like the super tall buildings for the court house. They look like offices or condos, not a court house. The original design, (exterior), was beautiful, stately, and really said court house. I know a lot has been bemoaned about it and the cost. Architecturally speaking Jacksonville has nothing in the down town like it. The majority of the jewels of DT have been destroyed. We need something like that design. I hope the new architects will design something similar.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 09:54:06 AM »
I like the Calgary and Salt Lake courthouses.  Personally, I think a more traditional design would look better.  

JJ

Great idea
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 09:58:20 AM »
I think it is a great idea. I like the ones in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City. I personally think the Phoenix one is hideous.

FD

Why Traditional?
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 03:41:59 PM »
I don't understand why a courthouse has to look like or say court house.  The building should be designed in a way that best allows it to actually function as a court house regardless of whether it looks like a court house, an office buildint, a condo, or whatever.  Sure, it should add to downtown's architecture but a early 20th century version of a courthouse isn't what we need.  Go high, save space, save money.

Jerome Howard

Houston's criminal justice center
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 05:49:54 PM »
I definately like Houston's criminal justice center's design. We do need to follow that example to keep the cost down.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
Re: Duval County Courthouse: Examples of What Money Can Buy
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 12:55:31 PM »
Considering Jacksonville's courthouse is now expected to cost $400 million, we better start looking at alternatives.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 04:26:36 PM »
I love the hi-rise idea, I wish our city would think "up" more often. I also have a hunch that when a new hi-rise is on the build, it tends to attract more follow-on projects then a low building. Maybe Lake can weigh in on this. While I love history and tradition, I think our plan looks way to "Mayberry" for a WILD CARD...SUPER BOWL champion City!

Orlando, Florida................  Miami, Florida...............Los Angeles (concept)

Ocklawaha
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 04:33:32 PM by Ocklawaha »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 08:22:26 PM »
I also have a hunch that when a new hi-rise is on the build, it tends to attract more follow-on projects then a low building. Maybe Lake can weigh in on this.

I don't have any stats, but you would have the possibility of more development in a compact area, because a low rise building would be spread out, sucking up the potential for major new complementing development coming in nearby.  Personally, I think they need to go back to last year's Rink concept, that called for a building that was going to be 15 stories tall.  That structure was going to take up two blocks instead of four and it was cheaper too.  The thing being paraded around is the worst design yet, but it costs two kidneys instead of one.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

raheem942

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 11:37:55 AM »
bigger is better babby i say do it