Author Topic: Downtown Construction Update - July 2009  (Read 13665 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Downtown Construction Update - July 2009
« on: July 17, 2009, 06:02:15 AM »
Downtown Construction Update - July 2009

A look at the status of various projects under construction in and around Downtown Jacksonville during the month of July.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-jul-downtown-construction-update-july-2009

zoo

Re: Downtown Construction Update - July 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 06:41:03 AM »
City Hall Annex looks pretty good, even though no retail at street-level. Where is the art in public places that, by ordinance, is supposed to accompany this type of project?

Downtown Visitor Center is a surprise! They must have gotten wind of the news Springfield was planning one in the renovated SPAR Building at 1321 Main, and had to jump out there with theirs first (same song with clean-up, parks, etc...)

fsu813

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 08:06:03 AM »
anyone know what 925 King Street is gonna be?

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 08:15:17 AM »
Whats the deal with 1000 Riverside? is it being renovated for new tenants? Hopefully next time we will see the Ambassador Hotel added to the list.

hightowerlover

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 08:44:37 AM »
so basically almost all of the projects are government related if they are truly "under construction" currently.  while almost every privately invested site is either fully completed or looking abandoned.

copperfiend

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 08:48:59 AM »
I think the new hotels in San Marco look great.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 09:13:13 AM »
Still not much going on; economy still in a depressive state and tailspin.  Until we truly get out of this "quandry" with the economy, nothing great will happen until after then (if the economy ever truly recovers).

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialservices.com and thank you!!!

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 09:52:10 AM »
Didn't someone say the downtown visitor center space would also include an art gallery?

Will this mean the visitor center space at the Landing will close?

The Greenleaf & Crosby building is probably the most impressively ornamented piece of architecture in the city.  I hope many visitors will admire it.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

oreo0579

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:18:18 AM »
No photos of the Berkman Plaza construction or the empty space where The Shipyards were to be?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 10:29:38 AM »
No more photos of Berkman or the Shipyards until construction restarts.  This is also the last month City Hall Annex, 3rd & Main, Kings Avenue Station and the visitor's center will be included in this list.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 10:32:31 AM »
Didn't someone say the downtown visitor center space would also include an art gallery?

Will this mean the visitor center space at the Landing will close?

The Greenleaf & Crosby building is probably the most impressively ornamented piece of architecture in the city.  I hope many visitors will admire it.

Yes, an art gallery will be included.  As for the Landing's center, I'm not sure of what will happen with it.  However, the one at 550 Water Street will close.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

reednavy

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 11:38:35 AM »
I thought the happening at 1000 Riverside was jsut a retaring of the roof.

I've always had the idea of a restaurant atop the building and occupying the penthouse on top as well. That'd be a killer view during dinner or jsut for drinks and some bar foord.
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

zoo

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 11:55:06 AM »
Uh, nothing to report on Shipyards other than it has officially gone back to COJ, right? Landmar was in bankruptcy -- I understand it closed its doors, let all staff go, and vacated its building off JTB earlier this week. Unfortunately, it seems the fat lady has sung on that project (as it existed anyway).

Deuce

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 11:58:14 AM »
Its a shame the Corner Brasserie closed down. It's where I took my girlfriend on our first date.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 12:03:13 PM »
No more photos of Berkman or the Shipyards until construction restarts.  This is also the last month City Hall Annex, 3rd & Main, Kings Avenue Station and the visitor's center will be included in this list.

Next month's photo update is going to be awful if this is the case.  Anybody know what that site clearing in San Marco is going to be for?? My guess is a surface lot.