Author Topic: Downtown Construction Update - June 2009  (Read 16672 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Downtown Construction Update - June 2009
« on: June 17, 2009, 04:09:17 AM »
Downtown Construction Update - June 2009

A look at the status of various projects under construction in and around Downtown Jacksonville during the month of June.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-jun-downtown-construction-update-june-2009

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
Re: Downtown Construction Update - June 2009
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 04:15:55 AM »
Sports Mania- why no pic of the Jags. Anyway with the way things are in the USA. Good to see some action, although I wish some projects like the St. Johns and Brooklyn were included.

Hurricane

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 05:35:54 AM »
Let's keep our fingers crossed that this summer might be the turning point for commercial construction.  I know a lot of people don't like the courthouse, but hopefully that will spur on lots of other projects...

David

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 07:02:35 AM »
The June update looks waaaaaaaaaay better.

For awhile the construction updates were depressing since there wasn't much to report.

copperfiend

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 08:35:30 AM »
Where is SportsMania going in at ?

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 08:36:48 AM »
Is anyone else underwhelmed by the signage and overall outward presentation of Oral Explosions?  I fear greatly that this place might fail due in part to the fact that it's so nondescript.

Otherwise, I agree with David - it's nice to see some tangible action happening!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

zoo

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 08:47:33 AM »
The signage at Oral Explosions, along with the name in general, is horrible! However, glad there are new eateries. Both the 2111 Liberty and Berkman II projects have homeless squatters living in them, so property owners/investors may want to clean out the bldgs and do a better job of securing the sites.

copperfiend

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 08:48:26 AM »
I think Oral Explosions looks like a place with generic eateries that you would find in a video game or on the Simpsons. Some of them seem like knock-offs of popular restaurants.

blizz01

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 09:24:04 AM »
I noticed this today "In The Pipeline" -in the TU - not sure if that's an update or not, however.

Urban Core
Construction and demolition
Peterbrooke Chocolatier
Business Name: Jacksonville Landing
Business Type: Commercial
Project Address: 2 Independent Drive
Entry Date: 5/29/2009
File Date: 5/1/2009
Real Estate ID Number: 074457-1001
Value: $600,000
Contractor: Oakwell Companies, Orange Park
Contractor Phone: (904) 955-9455
Architect: Thomas Duke Architect
Architect Phone: (904) 356-3335
Owner: Sleiman Enterprises
Owner Phone: (9040 353-1188

http://cgi.jacksonville.com/cgi-bin/newsroom/recent.cgi?Planning_District=1.+Urban+Core

5PointsGuy

• Jaguars!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 09:31:47 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't think Berkman Plaza construction is going anywhere. Although OSHA dropped the negligence claim, there are still civial action law suits pending against the builders. Additionally, I'm no engineer, but I'm not sure that construction can be continued with the damage done to the side of the building from the parking garage collapsing. There is damage concrete with internal rebar exposed to the elements. Also, I haven't seen a construction worker there in months and it seems that even the trailer that the foreman uses has been moved...
4 Tickets! Section 440!

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 09:32:01 AM »
I saw that in the pipeline as well. However, at the Landing I have seen no signs or anything announcing Peterbrooke.

jaxlore

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 09:58:12 AM »
yep the signage is kinda suckee but i hope the indian food is good. that will save the day!

reednavy

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 09:59:06 AM »
Of course you wouldn't, they want to keep it under wraps, and I don't blame them. They're going to build an awesome facility and probably want to do it that way to have a grand reopening. Of course, it is still in preliminary stages, Peterbrooke still runs in San Marco, but have started removing things, such as their infamous pink neon signage.

Hmm, anyone else that Ray's Pizza has been replaced with Royal Pizza? Either they realized the sign is almost a copy of Al's or Al's said something.
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

copperfiend

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 10:17:35 AM »
Reed, I just noticed the change. I am certain that Al's threatened to take legal action. It was an obvious knock-off. It reminded me of McDowell's from Coming to America.

fsu813

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 10:33:52 AM »
Oral Explosions does look rather bland an UNattractive from the outside.......NOT a good thing if you want to get people in. Kind of an eyesore actaully....what the heck were they thinking?

*** Also, a quick update on 3rd & Main:

1) City Kidz neighborhood icecream cafe will be opening July1st. It will be a family friendly cafe that will serve premium ice creams & smoothies, health foods, and lunch-type items. The cafe itself will feature a flat screen wall mounted tv, wifi, a marble slab to make the ice cream, and family friendly seating. The owners are really into helping out disadvantaged youth, so they will also have an outreach program focused on finanical literacy as well. Pretty interesting, huh.

2) The apartments are tentatively set to open July 15th. As every knows they perfer to rent them to Proton patients, if they can't keep them full then they'll rent to others. The property will feature an exercise room, meeting room, business center, elevator, outdoor grill, gated parking, balconies, W/D's, fully equipped kitchens, and nice appliances and tv's in each room.

3) Uptown Market (i think that's what they're calling it) is set to open sometime between August 1 & 15th. It will be open for breakfast & lunch with seperate menus for each and seating. The deli will be open for lunch as well and will serve ready made foods to take home. Imported beers & wines will be sold as well as seasonal produce and other grocery and household items. Outdoor seating as well, I beleive.