Author Topic: Sail Jacksonville 2009 Photos  (Read 3635 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Sail Jacksonville 2009 Photos
« on: June 03, 2009, 06:13:17 AM »
Sail Jacksonville 2009 Photos

Metro Jacksonville photographers share the scenes from Sail Jacksonville 2009 in Downtown Jacksonville.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-jun-sail-jacksonville-2009-photos

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Sail Jacksonville 2009 Photos
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:34:52 AM »
Great photos guys!
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Deuce

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:11:22 AM »
Was that Captain Jack Sparrow in the early photos!

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 09:18:41 AM »
Nice photos. It's good to see so many people enjoying the riverfront Downtown.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 10:40:12 AM »
Man, I was hoping to see myself....

Great shots though!

On a side note, the guy with the parrot was a bit strange...  :)

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 06:13:37 PM »
This is the HMS Bounty, which just sank in Hurricane Sandy.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 11:17:16 PM »
Actually I believe the HMS Bounty is/was actually a reproduction home ported in Tampa. You have to wonder if it will be raised. Even though its is/was a reproduction, its just sad to see any ship sink, this one is especially disturbing to an old salt.

"REPRODUCTION," sets the lost 'Bounty' on a slightly different plane then the USS Constitution, USS Eagle, or Colombia's ARC Gloria. All of which are active 'war ships' and used for cadet training purposes.

USS CONSTITUTION

USS EAGLE

ARC GLORIA

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 11:31:41 PM »
Why was it out there?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 09:22:19 AM »
^ it goes to shows/festivals all over...I believe it was headed from Norfolk to St. Petersburg....

And they did change their route somewhat due to the impending storm...I guess just not enough.

cline

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 09:24:57 AM »
^ it goes to shows/festivals all over...I believe it was headed from Norfolk to St. Petersburg....

And they did change their route somewhat due to the impending storm...I guess just not enough.

The best "route" would have been to stay in port rather than try to skirt a hurricane. 

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »

The best "route" would have been to stay in port rather than try to skirt a hurricane.

Staying in port would have been a guarantee of massive damage. It went out as any other large ship would do during a hurricane. Out at sea those violent breakers tend to be more like giant rollers, not to mention the fact that being out allows for plenty of room for maneuvering to catch those waves head on. Something went way wrong in the command and/or steering.

Overstreet

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 11:58:35 AM »
Earliest reports on storm track had Sandy moving farther off shore.

cline

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »

Staying in port would have been a guarantee of massive damage. It went out as any other large ship would do during a hurricane. Out at sea those violent breakers tend to be more like giant rollers, not to mention the fact that being out allows for plenty of room for maneuvering to catch those waves head on. Something went way wrong in the command and/or steering.

Sailing into a hurricane is not a guarantee of massive damage?  He would have been better sailing out in a different direction and waiting for it to clear.  Not heading towards it. You don't exactly maneuver your way around a storm this large. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 03:02:33 PM by cline »

Bridges

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 03:23:47 PM »
What was the boat that was just here last week leading up to FLA/GA?
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
HMS BOUNTY'S FINAL HOURS
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »

Sailing into a hurricane is not a guarantee of massive damage?  He would have been better sailing out in a different direction and waiting for it to clear.  Not heading towards it. You don't exactly maneuver your way around a storm this large.

Not what I said, "Staying in port would have been a guarantee of massive damage." Large ships have a bigger-then-a-billboard flat hull surface, in a hurricane it might as well be a giant sail. Leave that ship or any other next to the dock and IT WILL BE DASHED TO PIECES. Lakelander asked why it was out there and I was responding to his query. I believe the Bounty was heading south and as has been pointed out, it appeared that the storm would pass more easterly. Just saying that the Captain made the right call but misfortune caused the loss of the ship.

Even if they were trying to get around the worst of the storm, they couldn't have been in a worse spot. The Outer Bank's of North Carolina is known to sailors around the world as the "Grave yard of the Atlantic."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UDlc1slA8PA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UDlc1slA8PA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:41:39 PM by Ocklawaha »