Author Topic: 2009 Jacksonville Jazz Festival  (Read 8935 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
2009 Jacksonville Jazz Festival
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:00:59 AM »
2009 Jacksonville Jazz Festival

Despite the rain, the 2009 Jacksonville Jazz Festival featured jazz performances and activities along the Laura Street Corridor, The Jacksonville Landing, Hemming Plaza, Snyder Memorial Church, downtown businesses and vacant buildings.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-may-2009-jacksonville-jazz-festival

aj_fresh

Re: 2009 Jacksonville Jazz Festival
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 07:55:42 AM »
That actually looks like a vibrant city!!!!!!
Living at the beach waiting for the big city...

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 08:22:01 AM »
The Laura Trio made an interesting backdrop for the Forsyth stage.  Despite the success of the event it undoubtedly would have been a bigger success without the historic rains. 

The venue was certainly different from the Metro Park experience.  We enjoyed walking around and exploring but unless you waited at a stage for a particular performer you would find yourself standing way in the back.  Sitting was never really an option unless you set up at one stage and stayed.  The Metro Park experience may have been better if you prefer a "home Base" from which you park your chairs and venture from them to visit the vendors.

Just an observation... not really a criticism... :)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 08:56:29 AM »
It's very refreshing to see (great shots, btw) photos featuring a lively downtown filled with people and 'things to do' for a change.  Great baby-step on the way to having something like this more prominently and more regularly downtown!

Excellent!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 09:18:51 AM »
A couple of my suggesstions:

-Move the Forsyth St. stage back away from the intersection a bit.  This would allow people to pass through to
Hemming a little better.
-Reconfigure Hemming - They set up the wine bar in the middle of Hemming Plaza, which made it near impossible to make your way to the stage (it took me a while to figure hot how to get there).

There are probably a couple more, but that's it for now.  Great Job to the City!  I know I don't say that much, but I can give credit where credit is due.

stug

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 09:19:41 AM »
I had so much fun attending non-Jazz Fest-related functions in downtown this weekend! They should block several key arteries off every day to make downtown impossible to navigate. It's a great way of drawing people to the urban core. Parking was a treat, too. Thanks for not utilizing an already concert-equipped, gigantic public park, city decision makers!

blizz01

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 09:29:05 AM »
The photos were great - I trust that the Laura Street improvements (i.e. landscaping, moving the A.J. statue, roundabout, etc.) are still in the works(?).

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 09:51:39 AM »
I had so much fun attending non-Jazz Fest-related functions in downtown this weekend! They should block several key arteries off every day to make downtown impossible to navigate. It's a great way of drawing people to the urban core. Parking was a treat, too. Thanks for not utilizing an already concert-equipped, gigantic public park, city decision makers!

So, let me get this straight.  When no one is downtown we complain.  We a ton of people are downtown, we complain there are too many people downtown.  I can't follow your logic with regard to parking.  Plus, I attended Saturday and Sunday, and I found a meter with VERY little effort both times.

However, with regard to roads, I thought the city could have done a better job redirecting traffic around the closed Laura St.  This is something that they might need some practice at.

Shwaz

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 10:03:26 AM »
Great pic's!

Things I enjoyed:

Smooth sounds & great acoustics in Hemming Plaza
Easy & Free transit via (the packed out) Skyway
Snyder Memorial Church
Low Country Boil plate
Sausage & Pepper's
Corn on the Cob
Chicken Kabob
Bold City Beer tent
Roberta Flack and the Laura Street stage

I wish I could have gone more than just Saturday... it'd be great if the city would do more festival's this way.
Maybe even bring the Warped tour back to downtown.

I was told at the fest that Snyder Memorial was currently under renovation and that after completion it may not hold Church services anymore…  any idea if this is true or what it may be used for? I’ve said for years it would make a great night club like the Lime Light (NYC) and the “Church” (Denver). 
And though I long to embrace, I will not replace my priorities: humour, opinion, a sense of compassion, creativity and a distaste for fashion.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 10:03:53 AM »
I would be interested to know the non Jazz related events.  I have a really hard time believing it was that hard to get to something.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 10:07:58 AM »
I was told at the fest that Snyder Memorial was currently under renovation and that after completion it may not hold Church services anymore.

The Snyder has been vacant for years.  Right now the city owns it.  I doubt chuch services will be returning anytime soon. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Shwaz

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 10:23:38 AM »
The Snyder has been vacant for years.  Right now the city owns it.  I doubt chuch services will be returning anytime soon.

I wonder if the city would consider selling it off or if they would block it from becoming a night club. I'm pretty sure FBC would have a fit.

I could see Hemming plaza brimming with young people before and after live concert's and being at an actual skyway location moving the herds in & out would be a breeze.
And though I long to embrace, I will not replace my priorities: humour, opinion, a sense of compassion, creativity and a distaste for fashion.

Dapperdan

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 10:32:05 AM »
It would have to be a very small nightclub as there is not much room in there. I think it needs to be a downtown Information Kiosk staffed with downtown ambassadors by day, and maybe a small coffe shop at night off to the side. They can make it a museum/ visitors welcome center offering free water and maps for out of town guests. They could have brochures for all the downtown hotels and clubs and events. This is what I think it would be perfect for.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 10:40:13 AM »
^That was discussed a few years ago, along with making it into a Supper Club.  Unfortunately, both ideas never gained much traction. 

A visitors center/art gallery will be going into the building next door, next to the jewelry store.  Although they had a kiosk set up in there this past weekend, its anticipated to open later this Summer.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Shwaz

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 10:48:23 AM »
It would have to be a very small nightclub as there is not much room in there.

I agree but there was enough room for stage, common area, large bar, merch tables and general admission front of stage. The acoustic's are perfect... you almost get a church like reverb  ;)

It's definitely too much venue for a kiosk and water cooler.