Author Topic: Metro Jacksonville Announces Website Changes  (Read 4495 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Metro Jacksonville Announces Website Changes
« on: May 15, 2009, 05:00:00 AM »
Metro Jacksonville Announces Website Changes

After months of intensive redesign, Metro Jacksonville is revealing its new website next week.The new site will be cleaner and faster, but the majority of the work revolved around building a brand new system from the ground up to better serve our needs as well as support new features planned for the near future.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/1089

tufsu1

Re: Metro Jacksonville Announces Website Changes
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 07:36:06 AM »
at least on my computer, the existing design has already faded into memory....I get a littlke x in the corner :-)

Deuce

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 09:41:03 AM »
I was hoping for a sneak peek at the new design. Guess I'll have to wait till Monday!

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 09:58:57 AM »
No sneak peaks - you must actually come to the site Monday :)

Purplebike

• Purplebike.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 10:02:59 AM »
Congratulations!  Looking forward to the new design.  I'll love this site whether you change it or not.
"To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character" - Dale Turner

"How fortunate for leaders that men do not think" - Hitler

www.PurpleBike.com

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 11:36:34 AM »

Thank you gentlemen for the magnificently cerebral introduction. I am honored to come aboard amongst this progressive websites movers and thinkers. Nothing could please me more then to stand up and be counted, as we influence the direction of both local history, and transportation. Together, along with our citizen posters, we strive to promote and improve the greatest mid size city on earth.   

Thank you.

OCKLAWAHA
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 11:40:09 AM by Ocklawaha »

copperfiend

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:29:54 PM »
Wow, this is amazing. Piccadilly has meals starting at $4.99 every day!!!

Shwaz

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 12:42:43 PM »
I'm really glad I stumbled across this site / forum almost a year ago. I've learned a lot on transportation & legislation as well as happening's & events around the city.

2 thumbs up to MetroJacks!
And though I long to embrace, I will not replace my priorities: humour, opinion, a sense of compassion, creativity and a distaste for fashion.

stjr

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 01:28:26 PM »
Sounds good.  Looks like you will be creating more distinction between the various interests on the board which I have always been an advocate of.  Looking forward to Monday.
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 08:42:11 PM »
Excellent! I hope that when you zoom in text (CTRL + or APPLE + on the mac) that the comments don't go across the screen. I often zoom (because I'm lazy and leave my glasses at work) and have to scroll left, right left, right when reading comments.

Keep up the good work ;)
Jags season ticket holder.

stjr

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 03:29:23 AM »
I see the new changes are up already.  Looks good but I do miss the apparent elimination of the feature that let you scroll through the last 10 pages of posts (typically the last 24 hours or so) to see what was missed.  I see the new "unread posts" feature but that just gives you all the activity by thread.  And when you click on the thread it takes you to the beginning, not the end, of the thread.  Also, if not all threads show up under "unread posts" (you have confirmed some thread categories do not get publicized on the home page), it will be much harder to detect posts made to such excluded threads.  So... could the old 10 page post summary be restored? 

I see too that to modify or update a post, you must now go through "Forum" to open the thread.  You can no longer just reopen your posts through the home page (that shows the opened MJ article with comments) and click on the icon to modify your posted comments.  Nor can you use a scroll bar to view oversized images unless you go through "Forums" to access the thread.  Could these be restored too?

Lastly, I notice under the "Transit" home page that their is a recent discussion section at the bottom, mimicking the home page format.  But, I don't see this section on any of the other home pages.  Is that coming?

Thanks for considering my comments.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 03:48:01 AM by stjr »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 07:58:04 AM »
Don't know about the other things, but if you click the "NEW" icon next to the post title, it takes you to the first new post since you read (I think it has something to do with cookies, so if you don't have cookies enabled, you probably will go to the first post).

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
Congrats on the new format.  It may take long time users an extra minute or two at first but it is certainly cleaner ans seems quicker.  Ultimately it should be much easier to revisit past articles in particular areas.  I look forward to re exploring Metro Jax! :)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

urbanjacksonville

• One Spark
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 08:53:25 AM »
Congratulations on the hard work! Thanks for continually innovating, and pushing the city forward. You guys are awesome!
Joey Marchy
Website Editor, beonespark.com

urbanjacksonville.info
linkedin.com/in/joeymarchy
google.com/profiles/joeymarchy

Twitter: @joeymarchy / @urbanjax / @beonespark

stjr

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 11:29:28 AM »
I see the new changes are up already.  Looks good but I do miss the apparent elimination of the feature that let you scroll through the last 10 pages of posts (typically the last 24 hours or so) to see what was missed. 

Great, this morning I see this feature is back.  Thanks for that and all the other good work you are doing on this site.