Author Topic: End nearing for Chris Hionides?  (Read 9585 times)

strider

Re: End nearing for Chris Hionides?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 10:17:24 AM »
I was a renter during the times that " The progress you are describing was actually starting to happen along Main, but got killed by the Batehs, the Hionides,and Craig Van Horn."  My rent was reasonable.  One of the key businesses at the time was in a building not owned by any of them and the business still failed and the building is still vacant.  Others have said they were going ahead with their plans with property on Main and yet, what happened, at least in one case, was that the property is now just an empty lot.  And just like the evil Hoindes, their lot is still empty. 

You can not sit here and blame this all on the "big three".  Ever hear "Watch what you wish for, it may come true"?  Well, the next owner of that property could be worse than the current one.  That any developer like Hiondes is having problems should be a concern of all of Jacksonville, certainly a bad sign for the likes of places like Springfield - smaller and struggling for decades to get back to being a viable commercial area.

SRG and company cleaning the lots up is a big positive.  It will not make everything better, but every little bit helps.  Lake has a good point in that the small "mom & pop" businesses is what is needed.  But also, the "pie in the sky" is needed too.  At least we need to reach for the pie and try to get things done that will truly help the commercial corridor.  Like fighting for the real streetcar.  It may be a decade away, but that may be what it takes to have a lasting success rather than a few more short term spurts.  And it may be what it takes to get that developer to turn away from the southside and put his cash here where he will be a head of his time.
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 10:54:26 AM »
I was a renter during the times that " The progress you are describing was actually starting to happen along Main, but got killed by the Batehs, the Hionides,and Craig Van Horn."  My rent was reasonable.  One of the key businesses at the time was in a building not owned by any of them and the business still failed and the building is still vacant.  Others have said they were going ahead with their plans with property on Main and yet, what happened, at least in one case, was that the property is now just an empty lot.  And just like the evil Hoindes, their lot is still empty. 

You can not sit here and blame this all on the "big three".  Ever hear "Watch what you wish for, it may come true"?  Well, the next owner of that property could be worse than the current one.  That any developer like Hiondes is having problems should be a concern of all of Jacksonville, certainly a bad sign for the likes of places like Springfield - smaller and struggling for decades to get back to being a viable commercial area.

SRG and company cleaning the lots up is a big positive.  It will not make everything better, but every little bit helps.  Lake has a good point in that the small "mom & pop" businesses is what is needed.  But also, the "pie in the sky" is needed too.  At least we need to reach for the pie and try to get things done that will truly help the commercial corridor.  Like fighting for the real streetcar.  It may be a decade away, but that may be what it takes to have a lasting success rather than a few more short term spurts.  And it may be what it takes to get that developer to turn away from the southside and put his cash here where he will be a head of his time.

Ask anybody that rented from those three what they think of your viewpoint. Maybe Stephen can chime in on this?

Also, I don't possibly see how you could have a landlord worse than any of those three. All they do is sit on buildings while demanding usurious rents that they know nobody can/will pay, and that's fine by them because they'd spend more having to bring the place up to code than they would ever collect in rent.

Half of their game is sitting by and hoping the thing finally collapses on itself or burns down so they can collect the insurance money. But the overall strategy is that, if they buy this land and sit on it for 10 years, then it will double or triple in value.

They don't care about the historic structures or the neighborhood, their whole business model is based on a land play. Unfortunately, the land just inconveniently happens to have a building on it. These guys are TERRIBLE for a neighborhood, and no, I think they are truly about the worst you could get. Anything other than that would be an improvement.

Springfielder

• Preservation SOS
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 11:58:17 AM »
I couldn't agree more!

hillary supporter

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 05:59:04 PM »
hear, hear chrisufgator!!!!
I tried to figure out what you said for 3 years dreaming of a loft building in downtown. we lookd at several buildings of hionides, looking at 100ks of renovation--- and he wanting several hundreds of thousands for his properties--- he wanted 900k for the old thee imperial(!)  no bank would lend money for 4 walls and a roof.
Hionides is a cancerous tumor for all of jacksonville. but , sometimes, tumors do kill themselves. Such a loss would be in the best interest of all of jax.

alta

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 11:55:56 PM »
Hopefully Hionedes will sell a few of these properties at market rates to spur development along Main St.

JaxNole

• Riverside Community Gardens
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 06:27:39 AM »
Stephen, thanks for the information.

Is now the time to engage Hionides' son-in-law in support and present viable, if not financially lucrative, options for all involved parties?

The downtown venues you mentioned have at least one commonality, which is supporting life in areas that had once been abandoned in white flight.

What has been your involvement with the son-in-law?  Does he get it?  What is his vision?  His short-, intermediate- and long-term objectives?  Having access to so many properties brings hope and we would be wise to capitalize on this opportunity.

02roadking

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 08:30:13 AM »
Has the removal of some chain linkage been posted ?.... This is a positive in my opinion.

http://www.urbanjacksonville.info/2009/04/22/srg-removing-petra-hionedes-chainlink-along-main-street/
Springfield since 1998

daveandcatherine

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 07:15:28 PM »
Any recent developments with the Hionedes properties? The old Woolworth's is in serious disrepair with broken front window glass and a ceiling that appears to be living on the floor. I LOVE this old building and was wondering if anyone knew anything more about it.

movedsouth

• Preservation SOS
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
Hard to tell what is going on. He is still hanging in there. He recently used liens against a bunch of his properties (some of which are in Springfield) as performance guarantees for some government bids. I guess this means there is money coming in. The contracts are federal government contraction projects if I read the documents right (I am in no ways an expert in this). He has sold some of the properties on Main Street, and some of his corporations got foreclosed on. But he these may be "strategic defaults" where he lets some of his corporations go as there is no way they will ever be profitable. The court papers almost look like things may be stabilizing a bit for him.

The "Petra" apartments in Springfield are his. There are some pretty nice properties, but they could use some maintenance and appear to be on the empty side.

MusicMan

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 08:24:25 PM »
Anyone with knowledge please provide an update on status of Chris Hionides and PETRA?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 09:16:15 PM »
Looks like they're still in business and preparing to restore the old Jones Brothers Furniture Building:

https://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,34597.msg479083/topicseen.html#new
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bill Hoff

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 09:13:10 PM »
Petra recently purchased 2 buildings at the corner of 8th & Main, as well. They've become more engaged in the Springfield community on a personal level.

Gunnar

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 08:47:01 AM »
So they actually do something with their properties ? It was my impression that they let them sit - for whatever reason, but I may be wrong here.
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 09:33:02 AM »
So they actually do something with their properties ? It was my impression that they let them sit - for whatever reason, but I may be wrong here.

For many years that was the case. However, it seems like they've been more active in the last couple years.

Gunnar

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 12:21:44 PM »
Cool, so he’s restoring some of his properties now ?
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner