Author Topic: Salvaging The Big Idea II: Preserving Friendship Fountain  (Read 3005 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Salvaging The Big Idea II: Preserving Friendship Fountain
« on: April 02, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Salvaging The Big Idea II: Preserving Friendship Fountain

Last week we shared an affordable solution that involved finding a suitable location for the Mayor's  Flex Space  needs, without being forced to relocate Kids Kampus or destroy Friendship Fountain in the process.  Today we take a look at what can be done to bring life back to the Southbank, by working with what's already in place.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/372

The E

parking
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 08:25:07 AM »
nice, but where is the parking?

dj

parking schmarking
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 08:42:43 AM »
Ride the Skyway, its a block away from this destination point.  I do it all the time when I go to the RCBC for lunch.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Parking?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 08:52:44 AM »
The better question is where isn't the parking.  You have multiple ways to access this site if you arrive by vehicle.  There's parallel parking on Riverplace Drive, a huge surface lot in front of River City Brewing and a parking lot for MOSH between the building and the Main Street Bridge.  There's also a large number of lots and garages east of the Main Street Bridge.  Furthermore, as DJ said, the skyway is only one block away and it links you with several garages and surface lots on both banks.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JJ

Nicest swimming pool in town.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 10:56:30 AM »
Ever seen the seagulls chillin in Friendship Fountain? They look  like they are having a good ol time.

Pavers

Who's on the board of MetroJacksonville.com, out of curiosity?
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 11:07:11 AM »
Off topic, but I'm new to reading the site.  Who are the board members and/or chief contributors to this site, and what are their affiliations and backgrounds?

An "about us" link on the site would be helpful, FYI.  It would be nice to know more about who's behind the site.

Osborn

Read the paper
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 12:43:16 PM »
Pavers, did you not read the sunday paper?

Hot Daddy

C'mon you guys...
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 01:23:37 PM »
Get real. This is such a waste of web space.  All you guys ever do is present solutions to problems.  Where is the outrage and personal scorn for our publicly elected officials?!?  Don't you know that your "problem solving skills" are useless?  Where is your criticism???

Pavers

Yes, Osborn, I read the paper...
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 02:05:21 PM »
And only two of five board members are mentioned - members Conner and Dare.  I was curious to learn who the other three are.

And I'd like to know more about Conner and Dare (and the other members)  beyond their profession, frankly.  How long have they been in Jacksonville?  Do they live in downtown?  What did they do before owning Boomtown or their respective downtown businesses (if they have one)?  Do they have families?  It would give me (and I would suspect other readers too) greater perspective on the opinions and suggestions offered on this board.  Not that it makes his thoughts less relevant, but I found it interesting that member Conner doesn't live or have a business in downtown (neither do I, yet).

For someone like member Dare, their thoughts do create greater "oomph" with me as he has invested his capital and sweat equity in building a business downtown.  His boots on literally on the street  everyday, and his observations (along with those of other small business owners) are particularly intriguing.

As the saying goes, where you stand depends on where you sit.  More background, please!  

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Metro Jacksonville board
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 02:39:20 PM »
While I won't come out and give you our social security numbers, personal residential addresses or the names of kids and spouses, I'll shed some light about the group, while our "About US" section is being developed.  

We are about as diverse as it gets in this town.  We come from different cultural backgrounds and have varying lifestyles, but what ties us together is our passion to see the inner core return to being an economically vibrant center once again.  Two of the five board members are long time Jacksonville natives and the other three have relocated to Jacksonville within the past few years, bringing with them the knowledge and experience of how many of the things we deal with locally today, that have been solved in other regions.

Four of the five members are financially invested in the core. Between us, you have one who operates a popular restaurant, another developing active projects and another who owns investment property there. Two of the five members live and work in the core and another is in the process of moving there. So I'd say the board's passion and impact run a lot deeper than most who read the TU article would think.

While the site definately has it's enemies, and a member or two step on people's toes, the group is doing a lot more than 90% of the arm chair critics in town.

If the others want to chime in and tell you a little about themselves, I'll give them that opportunity.  As for me, I'm black and my educational background is Architecture with a heavy emphasis on urbanism.  I've been a permanent resident in Jax for three years and I'm currently a land planner for a local design firm.  While I don't personally live in the core (would love to, but haven't found the right opportunity yet), I'm invested financially in it with a couple of developments in the works.

If you want to find out more about us, feel free to stop by Boomtown (a restauarant in downtown) any Tuesday night at 6pm.  We're there every week and would love to meet.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
I've lived in the Jacksonville area since 1994 and have been interested in downtown development since 2001, and have been with Metro Jacksonville since the group's inception.  I currently own a townhome in the burbs (Intracostal area) which is on the market.  Once it is sold, I will be purchasing a residence downtown with my fiance.  I hope to have this done before the summer (but we shall see, given the relatively slow real estate market).

Like lakelander said, we meet every Tuesday night at 6 - feel free to come by.

Pavers

Appreciate
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 04:10:41 PM »
I appreciate the above the background posts.  And the invite to Boomtown on Tuesday night.  Assuming my work cooperates, I'll see you there.  Look forward to meeting y'all!

Broderick

Kevin Conner (et al)
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 05:01:54 PM »
I personally think MetroJacksonville is becoming a major voice here.  While there is criticism, I'd like to thank Kevin for putting the heat to the officials!!!!  I think you guys are doing a GREAT job. I read MetroJacksonville everyday and am getting more and more involved (as a Riverside resident) as a result of all the information I get here that I otherwise wouldn't hear about.

Keep it up!

Richard Bowers

So what
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 02:56:35 PM »
I think it is great that there is a web site with as many contributors as this one has. I like their thoughts on the southbank except that the site for future expansion is where people park and not sure that should be included as for future expansion. I have been around this town since 1971 and have seen a lot of changes, (actually grew up here but did not come back until 71 to work for Tanzler and Hester, did not want to come back because it was too hot here and the city stank and there were no hills!!). In the years since them, I have had the opportunity to participate in some of the changes, and there have been some efforts with which I did not agree. Sites like this though, deepen the dialogue, and provide input and provoke thought, which is great for the whole city.  After having lived in Chicago , Atlanta, and Louisville, all of which are very progressive and have thriving downtowns as well as thriving suburbs, it is nice to see this kind of conversation in Jacksonville.  I think constructive criticism of elected or appointed officials is healthy. I don't like it when it becomes personal. I think people can disagree without being disagreeable. There are no absolute right ways to do things in an urban enviroment, one has to make decisions with the best information on hand. Unfortunately when you are an official, while you would like to act only on facts, you have to accept that for some of the population, perception even false perception or false information can become fact. Public Decision making is the art of compromise. I wish anyone who wants to take part in that arena my best. It is difficult, no one ever compliments you or says thank you, and in the end, you make a lot of enemies from people who disagree with your decision making.
Whether someone has been in town a week or forever is irrelevant, they have a right to participate in the dialogue.

Johnny

balance
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 11:59:10 PM »
Simple solution. Let developers develop a high density area (as shown in yellow above). Propose a decent (and custom) tax on the revenue income of that development to slowly offset the city's initial total cost of fixing the fountian (perhaps asking for a certain % of development cost up front to help the city). Over time the the fountian would be paid off by the revenue of the development. Its not a novel concept, there are many other PARKS THAT PAY FOR THEMSELVES programs that work wonderfully, just look into the matter, although its a little cutting edge for a city so eager to spur quick gain such as Jacksonville to understand.