Author Topic: Riverside Arts Market Opens  (Read 17130 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Riverside Arts Market Opens
« on: April 07, 2009, 04:00:00 AM »
Riverside Arts Market Opens

After decades of planning, the long awaited Riverside Arts Market (RAM) opened on Saturday, April 4, 2009.  According to various sources, nearly 40,000 visitors took part in the festivities.  Here are a number of photos from the big day.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/1055

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Riverside Arts Market Opens
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 07:17:22 AM »
Great Photos guys!  This was a huge success on many different levels...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

vicupstate

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:46:36 AM »
Congratulations to all that were responsible for pulling this off.  This will do more long-term for the vitality of DT, than hosting the Super Bowl ever did, all without the multi-million dollar price tag. Sometimes the best ideas aren't the most expensive and flashy ones.

It's a shame it took so long to implement. Maybe if the opening occurred two years ago, Beaver St could have seen the potential of a Downtown annex to their current operation.  Maybe they still will.

One big indicator of the success of this will be the impact on existing businesses (ie The Landing).  Does anyone know if their business on Saturday was improved from the norm?  I'm for anything that brings people DT, but if people drive in and drive out, the impact will be less than if there are reasons to extend their visit.

Now that a good use has been found for what would typically be dead space, let's see if we can't do the same thing with the space under the bridge over Hogan's Creek between the St. John's River and Church St.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 08:14:21 AM »
I don't believe there was a significant impact on existing DT businesses like The Landing.  While the riverwalk is a great link between the two, the distance limits their connectivity.  During my walk, it seemed like most of the traffic along the riverwalk thinned out, once we passed the surface lot behind the YMCA.  This would tend to suggest that, at least on the north end, most drove to the surface lots, went to the market, returned to their cars and went on their way.  I'm not sure about the impact on Five Points.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:21:35 AM »
It seems someone did not like the amount of bikes on the riverwalk this past Saturday.

Rants & Raves: For a safer Riverwalk, bicyclists need rules

The debut of the arts market at the Riverside end of the Riverwalk last Saturday shows a need for some control of bicycle riders on the walkway. Zooming into and around large crowds of pedestrians enjoying the Riverwalk with child-ren and entire families with baby strollers, wheelchairs etc., there were numerous near-misses caused by high-speed [riders] without warning signals of any kind. It would seem that bicyclists should not be allowed to use the walkway on Saturdays, when this great marketplace will operate in the future. On other days, bicyclists should be required by an enforced city ordinance to have signal devices to avoid strollers on the boardwalk being struck by the speeding bike riders. The city should also designate a special bicycle path by a solid yellow and clearly marked inside area of the walkway before a serious accident and huge lawsuits might occur.
http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-04-07/story/for_a_safer_riverwalk_bicyclists_need_rules
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:24:07 AM »
Very nice photos. Glad to see such a great turn out.

zoo

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 08:32:20 AM »
he city should also designate a special bicycle path by a solid yellow and clearly marked inside area of the walkway before a serious accident and huge lawsuits might occur

This is the only logical portion of this rant. The rest of that writer's comment is absurd, and is representative of the closed-mindedness of much of Jacksonville's populace (though not all). If the Riverside Arts Market proves anything, it's that Jacksonville will have the greatest success becoming a world-class place by looking at the creativity and successes of other cities (Riverside Arts Market idea came from Portland, OR - no surprise there). Rant-writer's comment re: designated "peds" lane on the Riverwalk is what L.A. has had on it's Strand for decades - and it works.

It also proves that whatever Jax's media gets behind and promotes can be successful. Rather than the inciteful, irresponsible journalism the T-U normally publishes (see this a.m.'s article on how riots should happen after the next police shooting), they should look for other community-building events like RAM to promote and help succeed.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 08:33:07 AM »
The bicycles versus walkers on the Riverwalk is an issue that eventually will need to get addressed.  Monday through Friday it is seldom an issue but with the amount of traffic on the riverwalk Saturday the bikers seemed really annoyed that their path was blocked by all the people walking.  They were on both sides as people were coming and going... there were many small children, older people, dogs on leashes, and people stopped along the way talking and admiring the view.  Toss in a couple bikes trying to move at twice to three times the speed of the walkers, weaving in and out between walkers and you can see where there may be a problem...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Abhishek

• Seeker
    • Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 08:33:31 AM »
On the contrary, the members of some walking group who had walked in from the Omni hotel promised us (Bikejax Bike Valet) that they would ride their bikes on the Riverwalk next Saturday.

Bikejax has a post about such riders here: http://www.bikejax.org/2009/03/riverwalk-isn-speedway.html
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it" - Upton Sinclair

9a is my backyard

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 08:55:36 AM »
One big indicator of the success of this will be the impact on existing businesses (ie The Landing).  Does anyone know if their business on Saturday was improved from the norm?  I'm for anything that brings people DT, but if people drive in and drive out, the impact will be less than if there are reasons to extend their visit.

I don't have any numbers for you, but I left the market around 12:30, then rode over to the Beaver St. Farmers Market and then to Burrito Gallery and it didnt' seem like many people were out.  I rode right by the landing and it seemed pretty dead.

It would help if other downtown businesses coordinated w/ the market.  Also, with time people may wander more towards downtown.  I love being downtown, but I'm not sure I would make the walk from the market to downtown since there isn't much open on the weekends.

5PointsGuy

• Jaguars!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 08:56:51 AM »
Good question about whether or not The Landing was affected. Speaking of Hogan's Creek between the St. John's River and Church St., wouldn't trying to make a second RAM type project take away from the novelty and customer/patron base of the fledgling RAM? Wouldn't the best idea be to establish a tradition with RAM before spreading?  ???
4 Tickets! Section 440!

second_pancake

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 08:57:02 AM »
I am seriously jealous.  Wish I were there...if for no other reason then to keep some of these bad-bikers in check.  At least they're not as bad as the Dallas cyclists who ride 3 and 4 abreast on roads with no bike lane and NEVER file into a single line even when there is a car behind them.  I've also seen fully spandex-clad, $3000 bike riding guys riding AGAINST traffic on roads.  It's no wonder that Bicycling magazine named Dallas one of the worst places for cyclists.  They get hit all the time because they have no sense. 

Someone there (BikeJax?) teach these guys the rules of the road (or walkway as it may be) before the anti-cyclists in Jax get their way and outlaw bikes on the riverwalk.

The market looks fantastic and appears to have had a great turn-out.  The weather looks nice too.  It was 30 degrees when I went to work this morning and freeze-warnings in effect for another hour:-(
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."

David

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 09:18:20 AM »
Cyclist should keep their speeds down on the riverwalk, but pedestrians need to do their part as well to share the walkway. You've got people strolling 4-5 wide, looking up, not paying attention to where they're walking.

You shouldn't have to dodge 20 mph bicylist, but they shouldn't have to flip over their handlebars because you walked out in front of them at the last minute either.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:21:55 AM by David »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 09:28:13 AM »
I agree.  Any creative suggestions as to how to get walkers and bikers to co exist on what is basically a sidewalk?  Signage and icons stenciled on the walkway itself is all I have... :)

David

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 09:31:18 AM »
That's a good start.

I haven't experienced the riverwalk myself on Saturdays yet. I'm sure it's  a bit more hectic than usual.