Author Topic: Elements of Urbanism: Macon, GA  (Read 6724 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Elements of Urbanism: Macon, GA
« on: March 25, 2009, 05:00:00 AM »
Elements of Urbanism: Macon, GA

Metro Jacksonville takes a look at the downtown core of Macon, GA, which is known as the “Cherry Blossom Capital of the World.”

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/1029

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
Re: Elements of Urbanism: Macon, GA
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 08:00:51 AM »
Looks as about as vibrant as our Downtown! I remember when Jax was awarded the Jaguars, some Charlotte newsreporter referred to Jacksonville as Macon with a beach.

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 08:47:58 AM »
That catholic church is absolutely gorgeous.!!   :o

Deuce

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 09:26:37 AM »
The Catholic Church is awesome. Also like the picture of the empty lot with the lone port-a-potty. When I was reading the stats at the beginning of the article, I was elated that finally there would be a city profile that we could beat, then I saw the photos. Lots of great stuff in Macon and lots of potential. "Macon with a beach" - To be compared to such a smaller city is truly sad.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 09:45:16 AM »
Macon is an interesting place.  Although still fairly empty, downtown Macon escaped the level of demolition that has taken place here.  So the bones are there, but it still needs a swift kick in the butt to stimulate vibrancy.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

David

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 10:09:23 AM »
Looks as about as vibrant as our Downtown! I remember when Jax was awarded the Jaguars, some Charlotte newsreporter referred to Jacksonville as Macon with a beach.

Ouch! I can take shots from Atlanta and even some of the metropolises to our south, but not Charlotte. They're our rivals!

hightowerlover

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 10:15:43 AM »
these pictures must have been taken on a sunday morning

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 10:17:39 AM »
They were taken on a Monday afternoon somewhere around 2 or 3 pm.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 10:19:04 AM »
In the image above:  Is that red car on the sidewalk!?

Lake, that's been my experience with Macon as well.  Very sleepy town that looks nice (for the most part) but has very little going one.

ralpho37

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 02:42:53 PM »
Macon is a very nice town, but I've gotta admit, I'm pretty ashamed that they're convention center is nearly the same size as ours.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 03:19:05 PM »
Wonder if in the future, anyone posting photos of other places that have railroad stations, in use, abandoned, recycled or replaced, PLEASE get a shot not only of the street side, but the BUSINESS END TOO!

Talk about learning from or urbanism? We could learn a great deal about "how too" on our own Transportation Center by taking photos of many of these grand old terminals.

As an example, Oklahoma City has restored both of it's large stations. Santa Fe Station near BrickTown is now the Terminal for Amtrak. Union Station, which is larger and arguably more beautiful, has been restored to use as City offices without permanent effecting or altering the interior or exterior design. So you snap a photo of the pretty courtyard or entry... The lessons on Union Station's are to be found BEHIND the building, where the entire yard, boarding platforms, tunnel system, ramps and all have sat abandoned since about 1968.

What Lessons?

How did they get the bags to the baggage room?
Was there a baggage tunnel?
Passengers went into tunnels did ALL passenger trains use those tracks?
Where were the servicing area's located?
Many trains originated or terminated at OKC, how did they supply them?
Where their separate tracks for trains that split or consolidated here?
Where all platforms covered?
Did ticketed passengers have to walk through the concourse?
Did non-ticketed passengers have to walk through the waiting room to buy tickets?
Restaurant? Where? How was it connected?
Walkable?
Staging area for Express? What about vans? Piggyback? LCL?

ETC.. ETC... Just a couple of photos could write volumes for us.

Good lessons, lessons we need in Jacksonville Terminal, Amtrak, St. Augustine, Yukon/NAS, Green Cove Springs, Baldwin, Starke, Alachua, Gainesville...

OCKLAWAHA

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »
Ralpho; I know I'm going to get bashed for saying this, but here goes.

People tend to forget that Jacksonville (though I love Jax) is not as big as it portends to be.  The size of our convention center is indicative of the "real size," population wise that Jacksonville really is.

It you wake up to reality, Macon is about the same size of Jacksonville, that is, the population within the pre-consolidated boundaries; roughly around 113,000 people; but we all know that Jax would have annexed additional areas since then had it not consoidated, but still, Jax is not as large as the extended boundaries to the Duval County limits.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialservices.com and thank you!!!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »

Those wide streets and parkways were a dead giveaway... STREETCARS!

If our part of the State of Florida would just show some interest, resolutions of support, etc. we could be riding a new Amtrak route between our Jacksonville Terminal and Macon's Terminal Station. THEY got funding under ISTEA in 2002 to convert this into a retail, office and multi-modal terminal. The rail part has lagged behind because like the FEC deal, Georgia was unable to get Amtrak to do anything under the knife blade of the Republican Party. TIME FOR CHANGE!

For you NAVY boys and girls out there, this was the USS Macon - and LTA AIRCRAFT CARRIER.

The USS MACON today, shows us what she had aboard before they took her out in a Tropical Storm and wrecked her at sea. (Something that wouldn't happen today with modern IFR flight data).

OCKLAWAHA

mtraininjax

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 05:51:07 PM »
Macon is a nice town, a bedroom community for Atlanta, after all its less than 1 hour from downtown Atlanta. I would equate it to St. Augustine in terms of business growth and development. Tourism is hands down St. Augustine, but then again Macon faces the same issues Atlanta does, no beach, humid in the summer time, but worse, not a lot to do but head to ATL. They don't even rate Amtrak service. Too bad, my wife used to like the Nancy Hanks to ATL from Maconga.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

krazeeboi

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 10:57:50 PM »
Downtown Macon definitely has good bones. Looks like parts of downtown have recently been streetscaped. Nice blend of old and new. Just get some retail/restaurants up and running downtown and it'll be off to a good start.