Author Topic: Jacksonville 34th Most Congested Metro Area  (Read 7108 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Jacksonville 34th Most Congested Metro Area
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:00:00 AM »
Jacksonville 34th Most Congested Metro Area

According to these rankings, traffic congestion in Jacksonville is a larger problem than it is in Orlando.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/1026

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Jacksonville 34th Most Congested Metro Area
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:18:26 AM »
Having lived in 4 of the top 20 areas... Jacksonville traffic is light...  8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

fatcat

• "truth is in the eyes of beholder"------Elim Garak
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:32:21 AM »
W0W! Boston's Quincy line only made to #10! Takes more than one hr for less than 10 miles drive. Call me crazy cat but that is one of the reasons I moved to Jacksonville. I also remember taking the subway (not the sandwich) to work and it was so crowded that i can lift both of my feet in the air and still standing. LOL.

On a second thought, it appears to me people in Jacksonville are so spoiled. Haha.

reednavy

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 08:26:53 AM »
Besides a larger number of tollways, how is traffic lighter than Jax's? Hell, how are they not in the top 15?
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

hightowerlover

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »
jacksonville has traffic?

Deuce

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 08:58:06 AM »
Having driven every day in #4 for almost a decade, JAX is definitely light. One of the reasons I moved here.

Traveller

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 09:11:40 AM »
Seriously.  At least rush hour in Jacksonville is an actual hour (the way I go home at least), unlike the five-hour "rush hours" I experienced in DC.  Between the military, government, and civilian workforce, morning rush hour started before 5:00 each morning and ended about 10:00.  The afternoon rush started by 3:00 and didn't stop till after 8:00.  It would often take me over an hour to go from Tysons Corner to Bethesda or Arlington, a trip of less than 10 miles.

Based on my experiences, the traffic problem in Orlando seems to be concentrated along I-4 between downtown and the theme parks.  That could explain why we associate Orlando with such horrible traffic despite its relative low ranking on this list.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 09:23:18 AM »
Orlando is pretty easy to get around if you get off the interstate and learn the local streets.  One thing to point out is that the places ahead (and Orlando) are multiple times larger Jacksonville.  In the top 35, excluding Jax most of the names listed are more than twice the size of Jacksonville.  Our true peers like Louisville, Hartford, New Orleans and Oklahoma City are further down on the list. 

While rush hour may not be as harsh as it is in LA, NYC, Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Dallas and Miami (all have over 5 million residents, we have 1.3 million), we do have a problem that can only be addressed by implementing viable mass transit solutions.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Joe

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
Having extensive driving experience in both #33 and #35, Jacksonville seems misplaced at #34 to me, as I've always found the traffic to be much much lighter.

In most of these bad traffic cities there are locations where you can literally get stuck on the freeway for hours, for no apparent reason. Jax doesn't really have that yet.

Although I tend to avoid the few bad spots for Jax traffic (like Blanding). I suppose we have a couple awful spots that drag the metro down.

reednavy

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 09:30:36 AM »
My problem with Orlando streets are the speed limits are stupidly low. A major street, like Bumby, is 25mph in a residential area because people bitched too much. Many more streets are like that. Yet, it connects downtown to Curry Ford. However, do not get me started on the insanely bumpy brick streets. I like brick, but Orlando, smooth the crap out.

OKC, I'm surprised. It has an incredible street grid of N-S named avenues and E-W numbered streets, and is easy to get around. A good deal of our problem with traffic can be attributed to our most valuable asset, the river. Now, on the Southside, that is a different case, poor planning and no grid what so ever.
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 09:45:08 AM »
Although I tend to avoid the few bad spots for Jax traffic (like Blanding). I suppose we have a couple awful spots that drag the metro down.

Sometimes we can get to focused on the interstates when it comes to congestion.  I would not be suprised if it is the corridors like Blanding, Southside, Beach, Baymeadows, San Jose, JTB and limited river crossings that combine to drag the metro down.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 09:59:57 AM »
During rush hour, how long does it take to get from downtown to Jax Beach?

Cliffs_Daughter

• Don't make me come down there and smack someone.
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 12:30:58 PM »
So long as Blanding Blvd stays the way it is, traffic will never improve over here. At least on San Jose they  made some changes in the past several years and it did help, but every tight spot on any corridor can be directly related to the Interstate.
Heather  @Tiki_Proxima

Ignorantia legis non excusat.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 12:58:04 PM »
Well count me in as having lived in: 1, 5, 6, 11, 14, 26, 34, 35, 40, 71, 100

People tend to moan about Jacksonville traffic delays of 30 minutes to an hour here and I have to laugh. I remember heading Westbound into Los Angeles from San Berdoo one sunny afternoon on I-10. Big Mistake, Big, HUGE! As we approached East LA the freeway which was already creeping along, came to a halt. FIVE HOURS LATER everyone around the car knew everyone else... We hadn't moved an inch. When it finally moved a bit I was able to head up the Pasadena to the Foothill Freeways and escape. Total distance maybe 100 miles. Total time about 14 hours. PRICELESS.

Screen Play script from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit..."
                 DOOM
               Right here where we're standing, will
               be the cornerstone of my idea... the
               cloverleaf -- an elegant cement
               structure that intertwines freeways.

VALIANT
               What the hell's a freeway?

DOOM
               A freeway, Mr. Valiant, is eight lanes
               of asphalt running uninterrupted from
               L.A. to Pasadena. Pasadena to
               Hollywood. Hollywood to Santa Monica.
               Someday everyone will be in cars
               driving happily, nonstop from one end
               of the L.A. Basin to another.

VALIANT
               That's what this is all about? Tell
               me, who's gonna use your lousy freeway?
               We got the Red Cars, the best public
               transportation in the country.

Recall if you will, the infamous JTA QUOTE at the Kent Campus BRT meeting, "Those people hate rail, they wish the LRT would just go away, they're going to vote it down." (Light Rail won by a landslide... so much for BRT and JTA).

What were RED CARS? See for yourself... BTW "The Great Streetcar Holocaust", is the THEME of the Movie.

OCK takes his first train ride... uh yes sometime in the mid 1950's.

Where did the Pacific Electric go? EVERYWHERE!

This is one of the new lines which follow the old lines at a cost of Billions of dollars, can you tell by the paint scheme applied to this LA MTA "Light Rail Car?" Harrumph, Fond memories die hard don't they.

Except for an almost COMPLETE lack of mass transit I don't understand OKC being on this either... NEVER a traffic jam. Now as for Orlando being behind us? HUMBUG! The only thing that might account for that is the disconnect caused by the river, otherwise Orlando has far fewer arterial roads to divert the traffic.

OCKLAWAHA

Joe

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 01:14:23 PM »
Sometimes we can get to focused on the interstates when it comes to congestion.  I would not be suprised if it is the corridors like Blanding, Southside, Beach, Baymeadows, San Jose, JTB and limited river crossings that combine to drag the metro down.

Indeed, and I shudder to think what some of those corridors will look like once the Southside truly becomes built-out. Only 3 major arterials to the beaches, and only one river-crossing between Downtown and Green Cove. Yikes.

There are still a couple of right-of-way corridors that could impose a little more connectivity. However, so many of them were gobbled up for subdivisions over the past 15 years, I think the Southside might be beyond hope once it reaches true built-out. Imagine once all those woods finally get filled-in PLUS development in the swamps South of JTB.